“Great stay while in Chicago” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago
“Great stay while in Chicago”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Hotel is centrally located and near to major attractions. Room was superb and food at the restaurant is delicious. There's free WiFi and bikes for rent if you want to venture about. There's also a Spa and Gym if you want to pamper yourself as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Jimmy L,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, thanks to our comfortable rooms, complimentary WiFi, bicycles, and David Burke's Primehouse. I hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I recently traveled to Chicago for a vacation and stayed at the James. The hotel is lovely, the staff are knowledgeable, pleasant, and professional. The room was also amazing. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear BedhogzChicago,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear about the wonderful service provided by our friendly team, and that they attributed to a great time for both you and your husband. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James again soon!

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This hotel was amazing (we got a great deal via Hotwire and didn't know what to expect). They upgraded us for no extra fee and the room was clean and quiet.

The concierge was very knowledgeable and helped us with everything we needed, and every morning when we went out to get breakfast the doorman was there to open the door and ask if we needed any directions (he knew the city very well).

They even helped us move the car when it was time to check out, to make sure we weren't in the way for anything.

Overall, a great experience!

Room Tip: The higher you go, the less noise from outside you'll get.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear aldaron83,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad that you enjoyed the upgraded room, and most of all, that our concierge and doormen offered helpful suggestions and assistance throughout your stay. I'm grateful for your generous compliments and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James again soon!

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

great hotel, the staff was very helpful. its so close to everything, we ended up walking everywhere. the rooms were beautiful, the beds and pillows were amazing, the staff was sweet and the mini bar had fun snacks and full size bottles. highly recommend if you want to be in the middle of everything and don't want to use cabs. we walked to The Taste, to Navy Pier and only caught the train to go to Wicker Park. I'm sure the food was amazing from the cookies that were left on our pillow at night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear MelDorrington,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and the mini bar selections available in your room. Most of all, I am delighted that it was the efforts of our team that made your experience a memorable one. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Very good experience overall. The rooms were nice and comfortable, the hotel has a great location. In addition the concierge was very helpful in arranging for attractions (tickets, reservations, etc.) I would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear J D,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear that in addition to our comfortable rooms, you found the concierge to be helpful in assisting you find tickets. We are truly grateful for your recommendation of us, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Cocoa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Everything was perfect...with a great upgrade to the doorman. Everything was perfect!! The rooms were big, bathrooms had great products. Towels were large and fluffy.
I will definitely be back in the fall!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Christie S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is truly an honor to hear that you felt everything was perfect during you time with us. Most of all, I delighted that we wil have the opportunity to welcome you back in the fall; we look forward to seeing you then!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My family and I chose to stay at The James Chicago for 4 nights during our first visit to Chicago. This is where we will be staying when we next visit Chicago, as I can't find a single thing to complain about regarding our stay in this hotel. I have a 4 year-old son and an 8 year-old daughter that the doormen and valets all knew by first-name by the second day or our stay. I really appreciated seeing my children treated so nicely in a place that from all appearances is not designed to cater to children. I would be just as comfortable coming here with my wife on a couples getaway as I was bringing my children along, and I have rarely seen a hotel that I could say that about.

The location is also great. I know better than to try and bring a car into the heart of a major city, and I loved the fact that there were so many good restaurants within a short walk. Michigan Ave and all of the Magnificent Mile shops are only 1 block East, and the 'L' Red Line is only a couple blocks to the southwest. My family and I used the 'L' to get all around town, so I think this is an important consideration if you don't want to spend a fortune on taxi fare.

The amenities of the hotel were much better than you would expect for the price, and every request that we had was handled promptly. If you like friendly staff, a spacious and modern room, and a location that lets you explore everything Chicago has to offer, then this is the place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear J B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that your entire family had a great experience with us, thanks to our friendly staff and convenient location. Most of all, I am honored that your first stay with us will not be your last, and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!