“Awesome!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Nights
Ranked #21 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cocoa
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Everything was perfect...with a great upgrade to the doorman. Everything was perfect!! The rooms were big, bathrooms had great products. Towels were large and fluffy.
I will definitely be back in the fall!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Christie S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is truly an honor to hear that you felt everything was perfect during you time with us. Most of all, I delighted that we wil have the opportunity to welcome you back in the fall; we look forward to seeing you then!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My family and I chose to stay at The James Chicago for 4 nights during our first visit to Chicago. This is where we will be staying when we next visit Chicago, as I can't find a single thing to complain about regarding our stay in this hotel. I have a 4 year-old son and an 8 year-old daughter that the doormen and valets all knew by first-name by the second day or our stay. I really appreciated seeing my children treated so nicely in a place that from all appearances is not designed to cater to children. I would be just as comfortable coming here with my wife on a couples getaway as I was bringing my children along, and I have rarely seen a hotel that I could say that about.

The location is also great. I know better than to try and bring a car into the heart of a major city, and I loved the fact that there were so many good restaurants within a short walk. Michigan Ave and all of the Magnificent Mile shops are only 1 block East, and the 'L' Red Line is only a couple blocks to the southwest. My family and I used the 'L' to get all around town, so I think this is an important consideration if you don't want to spend a fortune on taxi fare.

The amenities of the hotel were much better than you would expect for the price, and every request that we had was handled promptly. If you like friendly staff, a spacious and modern room, and a location that lets you explore everything Chicago has to offer, then this is the place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear J B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that your entire family had a great experience with us, thanks to our friendly staff and convenient location. Most of all, I am honored that your first stay with us will not be your last, and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!

St. Croix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week to visit family in the area. I worked while there and found that the staff was kind, pleasant, but nothing special; the rooms were large, beds comfortable, furniture horribly uncomfortable, and the temp. controls not so great. We had a king apartment suite and was disappointed in the low, hardness of the couch. The unforgivable part, however, was the garbage dumpsters located directly under our room - the north west corner of the hotel. Approximately three times every 24 hours, and almost always at either 1 a.m. or 3:30 a.m., the garbage trucks arrived and emptied the dumpsters for about 30 minutes. Using the backup beepers, loud hydraulic lifts, and the typical dumpster banging, we have basically had no more than 2-4 hours of sleep in a row for the past week. Despite being called an apartment, there is no where to put our luggage and no laundry available unless you pay for the service (i.e. $4 for one pair of underwear!) Further, making reservations in the Primehouse is not offered to residents as a preference which is really disappointing. The location is excellent - there are great restaurants all around and the Trader Joe across the street means we can avoid the insane prices in our cocktail in-room bar. Further, there is a really nice bistro/bakery called ELeaven across the street which is awesome for breakfast or lunch. We probably won't stay here again - although the prices were competitive in comparison to others in the area (still really high). We stayed in Tortola, BVIs for 5 days (all inclusive) for about 1/3 of the cost that 7 days is costing us here in Chicago, just for a room. Um. Yeah.

Room Tip: I would go up as high as you can and not get on the north west where the dumpsters are. In fact, avo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MitchP,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the experience you had while with us, as it is not our goal for our guests to have only an average stay. From what you described, it is clear that we did not meet your expectations or our own. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline; you can reach me at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention, and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Flossmoor, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I've stayed at a fair number of downtown hotels and this might be my favorite location. It's close enough to everything but not right in the hoopla of Michigan Avenue. The buzz on Michigan is great, but I don't always want to step right into it. The James is likely to be my new choice for quick overnights in the city.

The room was big, comfortable and quiet. I know there was someone in the adjoining room, but only because I saw their "Do not disturb" sign. I like the sleek and hip lobby, but I didn't feel out of place there. My wife tells me the toiletries are top notch and she's picky about this in hotels.

Try Eleaven across the street for breakfast. There's also a Trader Joe's on the same block. THe cocktail mixers in the room are fun, but will get a little pricey. I did enjoy the lack of RFID in the mini-bar -- I like to look at what's there and not have to worry about getting charged for it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BrewingRover,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that we are now your new choice of hotel, thanks to our convenient location and comfortable rooms. I am also glad that your wife enjoyed the Intelligent Nutrients bath products and you enjoyed viewing the mini bar offerings. Thank you again for writing, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I gave a 3 star review for this property early on with some issues on customer service primarily not hearing my needs and acting appropriately. Immediately I heard back from the hotel manager Stephen and he communicated with me directly to figure out the issues and asked me how they can make it better. This act is an indicator that someone in this hotel has customer service in mind. We worked it out and I feel that this hotel needs to get an additional score from my review. Its a great property, great location and if everyone who works there reflects Stephen's level of customer service then this becomes a winner.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear AlexRobin,

I appreciate you taking the time to submit an additional review, and I am glad to hear that after our conversation, you feel better about The James as we want all of our guests to have an amazing customer service experience. I am grateful that we were able to speak further about the issues you experienced during your stay, and I would like to thank you again for bringing these issues to my attention as they have been addressed accordingly. Thank you again for writing, and I look forward to welcoming you back!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary and had a wonderful stay! I truly love this hotel. The service is impeccable and the rooms are divine. Spacious, modern and sleek. We also love the David Burke restaurant downstairs. Location is fantastic too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear qtram,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored that you chose to spend your anniversary with us, and that you had a wonderful experience. It's great to hear you enjoyed your meal at David Burke's Primehouse, and that our staff offered impeccable service. Thank you again for writing and we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I've put people up at the James for business over the past several years but finally had a chance to stay there myself. It's a great hotel. The rooms were clean, fashionable and I liked the bathroom products. The bed was great. All the staff members I dealt with were incredibly friendly.I had to use the room as an office space and there were some nice sitting areas for that, too.

The do have this crazy room service shelf with tons of small bottles of liquor and snacks laying out. They're displayed in such a way that you almost thoughtlessly grab one as you walk by (I stopped myself and I'm sure my wallet is happy I didn't eat an $8 bag of chips or open a $45 pint of rum...)

I didn't get to avail myself of the gym or spa but those amenities are available.

Also, the location is great. You walk out the door from the James and at least a dozen great Chicago restaurants are only a few blocks away. We checked out Xoco, GT Fish & Oyster and Slurping Turtle. Plus Michigan Avenue is nearby should you need to wander up there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear LdRP,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored that you had recommended us many times before, and are glad that you were finally able to experience us first-hand. Thank you for your wonderful compliments of our beds, and most of all, our friendly staff. Thank you again for writing, and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!