“Stay at the James in Chicago” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago
“Stay at the James in Chicago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

II travel a fair amount and stay in many hotels. I wanted to go out, but the room was so enticing that I decided to stay in to enjoy it. When you come to Chicago, I highly recommend the James! Cheers!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Jaime O,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The James Chicago. We are very appreciative of your recommendation of us to fellow travelers, and that you were able to relax in your room during your stay. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago; thank you again for writing!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Recent trip, the James was recommended by a friend. Great contemporary look with modern bathroom treatment. Impressed that the property is definitely into recycling for its decor, art. The birch logs both indoors and outside were a unique example. Now for the staff-- the doormen were all amazing and provided outstanding service. Was bummed that i couldn't get coffee at 6'ish, though while attending a conference. Great location for getting around the downtown; many places are within easy walking distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear dapinca,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your wonderful compliments of our decor and especially our superior customer service. Thank you again for writing, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James Chicago again soon!

atlanta, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I loved everything about The James- David Burke's Primehouse is the restaurant on-site- Awesome! Love that you are left carafes of triple filtered water at your bedside and a different wrapped cookie each nite. Bed was extremely comfortable and the mini bar offered import and domestic beer at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear hopetoelope,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed dining with us at David Burke's Primehouse, and some of our amenities made your stay a great one. Thank you again for your compliments, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

So convenient to everything. It was clean and comfortable. It had great amenities. A perfect place to rest after a long day of work or if you are attending a conference in the city. The recommendations for food around there are plenty!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear StacyJ998,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreicate your compliments and are glad that our friendly staff and convenient location made your stay enjoyable. Thank you again for writing and I hope we will welcome you back again soon!

Winona, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed at The James for business and cannot say enough good things about the staff. They were attentive and friendly 100% of the time, from the housekeepers to the doormen.

The room was stylish and well appointed - loved the fluffy towels and bathrobe, the service bar area with amenities, the sitting area, and the dimmable lights. It had a unique and upscale quality to it, the bed was extremely comfortable, and the shower was one of the best hotel showers I've had. Even though the hotel was full, it was very quiet, and I never heard another soul while I was there. The elevators are unbelievably fast too, and free Wi-Fi is much appreciated.

Each evening for the nightly turndown service, housekeeping would dim the light over the bed, lay out a bathrobe, turn the comforter back, turn on the radio, and leave a little snack and a bucket of ice. So sweet after a long day. And the housekeepers were so meticulous that they would hang up my nightgown and line up my messy pile of shoes into perfect order each day. This could seriously be my favorite hotel.

The location is perfect for accessing Michigan Avenue, convention shuttle buses, and abundant restaurants and nightlife. Double bonus, there is a Trader Joe's across the street for any little thing you need.

The only little things I would note that could be improved are:

The lobby doesn't carry the same stylish, well-appointed feeling as the guest room does, especially with an odd display consisting of a mound of ancient suitcases. I didn't get it.

The TV remote doesn't appear to have a sleep timer on it, and the on/off button had the writing rubbed off. Otherwise, everything was simply perfect.

Dear cinderelly,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your wonderful compliments and are glad that our turndown service and especially our amazing staff, made you experience a great one. I am delighted to hear that we may be your new favorite hotel and thank you for your candid feedback with suggestions that would make your stay even more enjoyable. Thank you again for writing, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

Albany, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I was interested to see that another reviewer had described the hotel as similar to her/his dorm -- because that's what we thought too. The staff were lovely and the location is great but our room was small, smelled very chemical air freshenery and it was grim . . . and soviet seeming. During our stay at the beginning of June, we checked in several hours early, and our room wasn't ready . . .which was okay. But when we finally got our room, it was one with two beds instead of one as we had requested in our reservation. After 20 or 30 minutes, the lovely front desk staff member moved us to their, apparently only other available room with one bed -- but it was a handicapped room with no tub. It wasn't very clean or appealing at all. The bed was comfortable. I have been shocked at how many great reviews this hotel has gotten. We were so disappointed -- we paid five hundred bucks for our room (one night) -- a huge splurge for us -- and I have stayed in nicer, cozier dorm rooms with better views. wah.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Amy M,

I would like to apologize for the aforementioned inconveniences you experienced during your stay. The experience you had with us is simply not what we expect our guests to have, and it is clear the room was below your standard and our own. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline to obtain more information on where you stayed so that I can follow up accordingly. I may be reached at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you again for bringing this to my attention and I sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you experienced; I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed one night for a business conference held at the hotel. Perfect location for both the conference and shopping afterwards. Bed was comfy and the room I had was very quiet. Only drawback was the vanity in the bathroom was very small with limited space for toiletries. TV was analog and not HD which would be expected at a higher end hotel. These are small issues. Would stay again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear shduning,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced in reagrds to the vanity and television. Please rest assured that we are in the process of updating our tv's to HD to better serve our guests. I am glad that these inconveniences would not deter you from staying with us again; I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!