“Can't wait to return some day...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Woodland Hills, CA
“Can't wait to return some day...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Hello My New Home in Chicago!

Modern, boutique-y, sexy. I love The James!! I had called the night before asking if I could check in a day early. No problem (and they honored the rate for my other booked nights even though it was more). When my cab dropped me off a half block away and I was struggling with my luggage, a bellman appeared out of nowhere looking horrified and promptly whisked me and my luggage into the hotel. Great first impression! Upon check in I requested a room with the best view possible, which was granted.

Location: About a block & a half from Michigan Ave. Tons of restaurants to chose from, shopping galore and within walking distance to many tourist attractions (Navy Pier, John Hancock Building, Lake Shore Drive, etc.)

The room: When I walked in I breathed a sigh of relief and immediately felt at home. Super comfy bed and pillows, plenty of room, great city view, nice lounger chair, modern bathroom with an ample supply of body wash, shampoo & conditioner, which was refreshing and actually something that I felt comfortable washing my hair with. Cute little nook with a table and couch (even though I didn't use it). Free WiFi as well. As a few others have mentioned, I had a slight issue with hot water on one of the days, but it resolved itself within a few minutes. One small critique was the variety of channels to watch on tv (James, you need the Bravo channel!) and the tv guide didn't match what was actually on.

Room service: Ordered a fruit bowl one day and steak frites for dinner another. The steak was a bit fattier than I would have liked, but was juicy and tasted delicious. The asiago truffle fries that came with it: oh.my.god. Beyond addicting. It also came with a fresh popover, but I'm not a fan of popovers in general, so I took an obligatory bite and that was it.

Housekeeping: Wonderful. Room was cleaned immaculately each day and received turn down service each night. It's nice to come back to your dimly lit room with soft music playing and a freshly baked cookie (each night a different type) on the bed next to your robe. One day someone knocked on my door to replace the shower curtain that housekeeping had reported, when I didn't even notice any problem. I like that they pay attention to the tiniest of details. There is no ice machine, but at turn down, a bucket filled with ice was always left by the mini bar.

The gym: Kind of small but it's amazing how many quality pieces of equipment fit in there. I worked it out every day! ; ) Loved the pitchers of ice water with orange slices in... perfect to re-hydrate!

Other: Helpful, friendly staff, Trader Joe's & Starbucks across the street, triple filtered water, which is replenished each day, and check out at 2pm!

Love this hotel! Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear K4Lakers,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your stay with us at The James Chicago! I am delighted to hear that our amenities such as complimentary WiFi and triple filtered water in your room, along with our delicious In Room Dining menu all attributed to a great experience. I apologize that we did not offer the Bravo channel, but I appreciate your feedback and we are looking to expand our channel offerings soon. Most of all, I am humbled to hear that the amazing service provided by our houskeeping department and bellmen made your stay outstanding. I am thankful that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to your new home at The James Chicago soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip and thoroughly enjoyed the extra touches of service provided. I haven't been in a hotel for a long time that fills your ice bucket, leaves free cookies plus sets the mood with lighting and radio for your return in the evening. Enjoyed the bathrobe, too. Bed is comfy, room very clean and I liked their little desk nook and free wi-fi for working when in my room. The conciege recommended some great restaurants. My colleagues and I got to use their car service at no charge a few times for a ride to a restaurant. It's in a great location, just a block from the Magnificent Mile. Only quirky thing was the bathroom sink - it's square and very shallow so roll up your sleeves when washing your hands! Only other negative was the TV - not that many channels offered and the on-tv guide was out of sync with what was actually on. I guess I could have called to let them know but it wasn't that big of a deal to me (except there was no MSNBC).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear SFCupCake,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your wonderful compliments of our amenities such as turndown service and comfortable beds. Most of all, I am glad to hear that our friendly staff made your experience a great one. I apologize for the shortcoming with the television; we are constantly in the process of updating our amenities to be the most conducive to our guests' needs, so your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are looking into updates. Thank you again for writing, and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was my first trip to Chicago and my girlfriend suggested we stay downtown one night so we could take advantage of the shopping and activities over St. Patrick's Day weekend. We stayed in one of the Loft rooms, and I have to say it was one of the nicest, most comfortable rooms I have ever stayed in. The layout and flow of the space was awesome, the bed was so comfortable, and the media nook was the perfect place to relax and unwind after a busy day shopping! I will definitely be coming back here very soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear robbyrob1,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The James Chicago. We appreciate and are humbled by your generous compliments of our comfortable loft rooms and that you had a luxurious experience with us. Most of all, I am so glad to hear that your first stay will not be your last and that you plan to stay again soon. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Olathe, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I loved everything about our recent stay at The James!!!!! Every staff person we encountered was fantastic. The room was beautiful and the amenities were great! David Burke's Primehouse inside of The James offers great food as well. LOVED IT!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Tracy C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay with us at The James Chicago. It is great to hear that you loved many aspects of our hotel, including our amenities and David Burke's Primehouse. Most of all, I am humbled to hear that our incredible staff made your experience fantastic. We appreciate your wonderful compliments and look forward to welcoming you back to The James soon!

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed in the James for 3 nights while in Chicago. The room was terrific, great big bed, lovely bar in the room and terrific shower.
The staff were very helpful and were happy to point us in the right direction for breakfast, dinner and lunch!
We stayed on a room only basis, so we didn't get to sample the breakfast.
We did use the gym, it was well maintained and had lovely cucumber water to quench our thirst. Machines were all top quality.
It was very central to everywhere we wanted to visit.
There's not much of a bar, but that doesn't matter as there are so many in the city to choose from.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear lseultfitz,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. We are very appreciative of your generous compliments of our gym and convenient downtown location. Most of all, I am delighted to hear that our staff was helpful and that you plan on returning. Thank you again for taking the time to write, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed at the James in March 2012, a nice trendy hotel, with clean lines, and not too much frou frou. Great location, close to all the action of Michigan Avenue. Nice clean bathroom and rooms. Although the bathroom door was a bit dodgy it didn't detract from the experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear speedboat,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your generous compliments of our decor, clean rooms, and our convenient location. I apologize for the inconvenience with your bathrooom door, but am relieved that it did not affect an overall great experience with us. Thank you again for writing, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Northville, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I just stayed at The James Hotel. The service was great, but I found the rooms to be shabby. I was surprised how worn the rooms were based on pictures and reviews. The hotel is supposed to have a clean, sparse, modern look, but the first room I was put in had peeling wallpaper, all the wood surfaces were worn, chipped or water stained. The room was clean, but felt very worn out. I ended up upgrading to a larger room by paying a fee. It was a bit better and brighter, but wood surfaces still worn and chipped. Over the king bed there was one picture off to the side and two holes in the wall where the other picture was suppose to be located.

The bathroom has large mounted bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the shower versus the little bottles. It felt like a gym. Personal preference on my part, but I prefer the little containers to something 100's of people have had their hands on before I got into the shower.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Cathwig,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. After reading your comments, I wanted to reach out in regards to the room issues you mentioned. The conditions you described are not what we expect our guests to experience and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you offline to obtain more information about which room you stayed with us in; I can be reached via email at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you for writing and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Stephen Blackford

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!