“Great location and service, but shabby” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

Save Saved
You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 171 Hotels in Chicago
Northville, Michigan
“Great location and service, but shabby”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I just stayed at The James Hotel. The service was great, but I found the rooms to be shabby. I was surprised how worn the rooms were based on pictures and reviews. The hotel is supposed to have a clean, sparse, modern look, but the first room I was put in had peeling wallpaper, all the wood surfaces were worn, chipped or water stained. The room was clean, but felt very worn out. I ended up upgrading to a larger room by paying a fee. It was a bit better and brighter, but wood surfaces still worn and chipped. Over the king bed there was one picture off to the side and two holes in the wall where the other picture was suppose to be located.

The bathroom has large mounted bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the shower versus the little bottles. It felt like a gym. Personal preference on my part, but I prefer the little containers to something 100's of people have had their hands on before I got into the shower.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Cathwig,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. After reading your comments, I wanted to reach out in regards to the room issues you mentioned. The conditions you described are not what we expect our guests to experience and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you offline to obtain more information about which room you stayed with us in; I can be reached via email at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you for writing and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in january 2013. First experience in Chicago. Hotel is small. Rooms are nice with comfortable bed. Friendly staff. We passed through some hotels that would have suited better to us. If you are not fussy this hotel would be perfect.

• Stayed January 2013
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear jw1988,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad that you found our location to be convenient and that our friendly staff made a positive impression. I am disappointed that we were not conducive to your preferences; we always try to uniquely accommodate each guest and assist in making your stay outstanding. If you decide to visit again, our team would be glad to help in advance. Thank you again for writing and I hope to welcome you back again.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I am not set to arrive at the James Chicago for 5 days but the service I have received so far has been incredible. The managers' responsiveness and attention to detail for my upcoming stay has made me even more confident that I have chosen the best hotel for mine and my husband's anniversary get-away.
Can't wait to arrive. Thank you in advance for providing such exceptional service. It did not go unnoticed. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lesley W,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your first impressions about The James Chicago. I am pleased to hear that our wonderful team has provided outstanding service in advance of your arrival. Most of all, I am truly grateful that you and your husband have chosen to stay with us to celebrate your anniversary. I hope that you will enjoy your upcoming stay with us; we look forward to welcoming you in a few days!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Has a somewhat modern/European look to the rooms. The concierge desk was great help with information but very busy as well. The spa is worth a visit and the gym is well equipped. Oh! And "James" works there.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Hwolk,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy a massage at Asha Spa onsite, and especially that our concierge team were helpful in assisting your stay. Thank you again for sharing, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travel plans bring you to Chicago!

Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The James offers excellent value for a city hotel. The room was very spacious and the beds extremely comfortable and the dispensers in the bathroom are very good, no fiddling with those little bottles! The staff were very polite and helpful and happy to give advice and directions no matter how often we asked. Well done,The James.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear sohotobrighton,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your compliments of our spacious rooms and are glad that you felt you received a great value. Most of all, I am delighted that our helpful staff attributed to a great overall experience. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Bridgewater, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just spent the weekend in this trendy hotel. Great spa and gym! Wonderful facials and massages. Very well designed rooms, compact, clean lines. Excellent location and wonderful service. Choice of pillows, choice of newspapers to be delivered daily. Did not utilize the bar or restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Sheila B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your generous compliments of our location, stylish rooms, and pillow menu. I am delighted that those factors, as well as our amazing staff, attributed to an overall great experience with us. Thank you again for staying with us and hope to welcome you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Quad Cities, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed her for a meeting. Meeting space was ok... the divided room for the meeting had a very noisy group next to us that was a distraction.

Room was ok, for a Chicago room, with 2 full size beds (had requested a king size but checked in very late due to travel). The shower curtain rod was loose, they did not replace the towels that I left on the floor (had 2 more towels so was not an issue as I was alone).

The "bar" area is really not a bar but a hotel lobby with wait staff... ok but wish that there was a bar to sit at and relax.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear David M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with us at The James Chicago. I would like to apologize for any shortcomings your experienced, both with the meeting room noise as well as the issues in your room. It is never our goal to provide an average experience, but an outstanding one, and I am truly sorry that we did not meet our own high expectations. Please note that the current bar arrangement was only temporary as we refreshed the space; we are excited to share the new lobby bar with our guests in the very near future. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you visit Chicago.

Stephen Blackford

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!