“Understated Luxury wrapped in a Boutique package” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

Save Saved
You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 20%
Ranked #20 of 167 hotels in Chicago
“Understated Luxury wrapped in a Boutique package”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

When traveling on business, few things are more impressive than the ease and comfort that comes with staying at The James. I was able to check in a bit early (1pm and they had a room available) and the nook within the room makes for the best afternoon work station you can get. The rooms are well appointed with organic bath soaps and they take time to reduce their carbon footprint without expense to a luxurious experience for a weary business traveler. I was pleasantly surprised and the small touches (a modern chair with great ottoman to rest before client meetings) bring this hotel to the top of my list when in Chicago.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear HaphazardGourmet,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We appreciate your generous compliments of our property and that you found the room to be conducive to your needs while traveling on business. Additionally, we are glad that you appreciate our efforts to be environmentally conscious and enjoyed the Intelligent Nutrient bath products as well. Most of all, we are thrilled to hear that you will be staying with us again. Thank you again for writing, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!

1,670 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Prior Lake, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We absolutely loved our stay at The James Hotel. From the beginning, the staff was very friendly. We arrived a few hours before the 2:00 check in time and they were able to accommodate and get us in a room. They had a Valentine Special when we booked our room and chose a one bedroom apartment. The room was very spacious. We left our room to go workout for a few hours and came back to a nice bottle of Champagne and chocolate covered strawberry's. Good thing we worked out! The workout room was large and had everything that we needed. Weights, treadmill, elliptical, stretching mats, foam rollers, and medicine balls.
We also had a credit for the restaurant. We had a great lunch and would highly recommend you eat here. We will definitely be back to The James next time in Chicago!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a One Bedroom Apartment
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear KMD1234,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your generous compliments about our gym and especially our friendly staff. I am glad you enjoyed the apartment suite and hope that you had an enjoyable Valentine's Day experience with us. Thank you again for writing, and we hope to welcome you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Once again, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The James. The bed is comfortable, the sheets are soft, the service staff is excellent and not invasive and I feel secure there as a woman travelling alone. The towels are large and fluffy. The hotel is spotlessly clean. I can't think of one thing that I didn't like! It was raining hard when I arrived and the doorman was at the door of my cab with a large umbrella. I didn't want to go out that night for dinner and deal with the bad weather, so I asked about the restaurant in the hotel, David Burke's Primehouse, as I didn't have a reservation and I don't eat meat. The hotel concierge procured a table for me and there were plenty of menu choices for non-carnivores as well as their beautiful steaks. I am already looking forward to my next stay at The James!

Room Tip: I like the rooms facing the courtyard. I believe it is quieter there than the street side, and I don...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear edyrp,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your wonderful compliments of our clean rooms, thanks to our superb housekeeping team, and that you enjoyed your meal at David Burke's Primehouse. Most of all, it is great to hear that you are a returning guest, as we are truly grateful for your loyalty to us. Thank you again for staying, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I and wife stayed several days at the James. It was a super experience. Never have I experienced such pleasant hospitality. The staff attitudes towards us guests illustrates the fine example for the travel industry set by this hotel. Desk personnel who remember your name. Doormen who warmly greet visitors. Bar attendants quick to solicit an order. Floor and lobby attendants anxious to insure your comfort and provide any information requested. Speedy responses to service requests. What an experience. Yes these are employees but they exude an attitude closer to friends and family. Behind this performance must lie a management and training team more than just a bit competent. Let's try excellent. Add this fine employee performance to the hotel's location in the heart of Chicago within walking distance to many attractions and public transport it made our visit to Chicago a fine event.

Room Tip: The upper floors give a bit more view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear JimM857,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is our aim to provide our guests with a luxury liberated experience in all aspects of their stay, and the highest compliment that we can recieve is to hear that our amazing team made your stay outstanding. I am truly humbled by your compliments of us, and sharing your thoughts with both myself and other travelers on Trip Advisor. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Lugano, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

great hotel! minimalist scando style but with all top attention to major and small details from organic products in bathroom to decor to lighting to the in room breakfast service, and all at a great price. staff also extremely friendly and helpful as well as ideal central location. highly highly recommended. wish there were more " James" in the world....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear costello1973,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We are grateful to hear that you found our staff to be very helpful, and that you enjoyed some of amenities, such as the Intelligent Nutrients bath products. Most of all, we are truly thankful for your gracious recommendation of us to other travelers. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The James is a seriously stylish hotel. From the contemporary art in the lobby to the retro in-room bartender, the place oozes designer cool. I enjoyed my stay here and can't fault the location, service or room. I loved the bed and although I didn't avail myself of the pillow menu, I slept well on each of the 4 nights I stayed. The room was very spacious for a downtown hotel and the quality of the fit-out really impressed me. The 'dining niche', the comfortable lounge chairs and the generous storage space were great. I really felt that this was a hotel designed with the guest in mind, something that some so-called 'design hotels' often forget. It was a relaxing feeling to return to my room after sightseeing/shopping in Chicago and the little chocolate chip cookie at turn down was a little delight. I used the gym quite a bit during my stay and it was fantastic! Seriously, I think it has to be the best hotel gym I have ever seen - fantastic equipment of every kind and plenty to choose from. In the bathroom, the toiletries were dispensed in large containers which I really appreciated and they were high quality 'Intelligent Nutrients' and smelled divine! The bathroom was cool with plenty of space and even a gorgeous little terrarium for added style - loved it!
I didn't sample the in-house restaurant, which was very busy, but I can highly recommend the delicious Japanese restaurant across the road as I ate there twice during my stay.
I really enjoyed the comforts of The James and I'm interested to try their hotels elsewhere on future trips. I definitely recommend this hotel as I thought that it was great value for money in an ideal location and just the right level of indulgence (and that gym is great)!

Room Tip: I thought that the standard guest room was very good value - lots of space for the price!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Kbel3,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am truly grateful for your generous compliments, but most of all, I am glad to hear that you found the room to be completely suited to your comfort. We especially appreciate you taking the time to recommend us other travelers and hope that you will have the opportunity to visit our properties in New York and Miami Beach too. Thank you again for staying with and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you back to Chicago!

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My family and I spent the weekend at The James for our annual Mother-Daughter weekend. The location is perfect...close to The Magnificent Mile and lots of restaurant options. However, all you need to do is walk down to the lobby to hit one of the best restaurants in town: David Burke's Primehouse. The hotel staff is friendly, professional and they work fast to accommodate your needs. Our rooms were fabulous. Clean, with minimalistic décor, all the amenities you could ask for; and those soaps/lotions in the room...AH-mazing! I will be back!

Room Tip: If you can, get a loft suite! The extra room is really nice, especially if you are sharing a room wi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear stephanie888,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your wonderful compliments of David Burke's Primehouse, and are especially glad to hear that our staff made your stay a great one with their friendly demeanor. Most of all, we are thrilled that your first stay with us will not be your last; we look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

Stephen Blackford

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!