“A second home at the James” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Petrolia
“A second home at the James”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have been lucky enough to stay at the James Hotel several times in the last few years and each time it is like coming home. The very fun lobby bar and the great staff are noteworthy. The decor feels european and all the amenities are great. It's location is perfect for setting off on foot for all Chicago's best sites. The conceirge has made our vacation on more than one occasion. We arrive at each suggested locale and been treated like royalty. I will choose the James again for my next trip to Chicago.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear JanicePetrolia,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We are humbled by your compliment that you consider us your second home and are pleased to hear that this is not the first time that our outstanding concierge team has made your experience a great one. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

we drove to chicago to celebrate my husbands birthday. we have a 3 year old and a five year old and we were so pleased that this groovy hotel was fun and welcoming to all of us. i loved the aesthetics, the reading/writing/craft nook in the room was awesome, and all the staff was great. we loved the cute paul frank kid goodies and having trader joes across the street for our many snack needs was a real perk. the hotel birthday cupcakes were over the top- a real treat. great location. we'd love to stay at this hotel on our next visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Loop89,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We are glad that we were able to be a part of your husband's birthday celebration, and that your children enjoyed the Paul Frank amenities. I am honored that you hope to stay here again; we all look forward to seeing you next time!

cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is a very nice little hotel. The price was right, the room was small but nicely furnished, and the location was perfect. Staff was friendly and the hotel restaurant had a good, reasonable breakfast. I'd stay again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear lewwallace,

Thank you for sharing about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We appreciate your kind compliments of our friendly staff and enjoyable breakfast at David Burke's Primehouse. Most of all, I am glad to see that you would stay with us again; we look forward to your next visit!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived at The James we felt pampered. The staff was helpful and very friendly. The room is spacious, well-supplied, and very comfortable. We were able to walk to many great restaurants, shops and museums from this excellent location.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Jackie652,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is great to hear that our comfortable rooms, convenient location, and our amazing staff all attributed to making your experience a great one. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Fraser, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This hotel is by far in my top 5 of places that I stayed on vacation.

The hotel is not big like some of the rest of the hotels in the city it only has 17 floors but let me tell you this hotel packs a big punch of luxury in every part of it..

Pros:
Clean updated modern room
Nice big bed
Great view of Rush/Michigan Ave
Outstanding and Friendly Employees "Very fast when we had issues with our room"
Free cookies at turn down which are very tasty
Ordered cupcakes which were very good
Very quite room on the top floor "17th floor"

Cons
Since being on the top floor very warm from the heat rising
Floor vent was making loud banging noises "Fixed issue very quickly"
The tub drained very slow when we took shower

Overall we had a great stay and would def come back to the James Chicago to stay again couldn't be happier.

Room Tip: A great perk that they really don't tell you any where is they offer a free ride to where ever y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MikeTech1984,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. I am truly humbled by your generous compliments, from our cookies with turndown to our outstanding staff. I am especially pleased that after your recent experience, we rank among your favorite hotels that you have stayed at. Thank you again and I hope that we will have the opportunity to see you again soon!

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I booked this hotel via hotwire and when I arrived to check in I did feel as if the receptionist checking me in, had a chip on his shoulder because I booked with hotwire (secret hotels). He was rather cold and standoffish, acted as if he rather be doing anything but checking me in. Yes, nice welcome to Chicago for you.

I brushed it off and checked into my room which was a delight. The room was roomy, had a seating area and a bar area and a big comfy bed.

The hotel offers complimentary wifi here. The bathroom area was nice and clean, but the sliding door for the bathroom was very stiff and wouldn't close properly.

The hotel is conveniently located, it is a 5 minute walk from McDonald's, Bloomingdales, the post office, Walgreens and much more. This was very handy!

The hotel is only a short cab ride from all the must to see sights - like the Shedd Aquarium, The Cloud Gate etc. However, I must say if you ask locals where the cloud gate is, they might know what it is - so I found out. I think it is more commonly referred to as being the silver bean!

The hotel bellman was friendly - helpful in giving directions to local pizza joints.

I would stay here again despite the rude little man who checked me in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Zeva2010,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. Although I am glad that you had some positive aspects of your stay and would return, I am very sorry to hear about the experience you had during check-in. This is not the level of service we aim to provide, and it is clear that we did not meet your expectations, or our own. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline, by emailing me at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. I apologize again and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Geneva, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend in downtown Chicago. First, the doorman was fantastic - helpful, friendly and knowledgable. Next, every staff member from check in to luggage delivery to room service were extraordinarily kind and accommodating. We had our 2 small dogs with us and they provided accommodations for them - bowls, beds, bones. Now, there weren't many grassy areas for the pups but it worked out and we got some nice walks in. The room was comfortable and clean. We did order room service and the food great! You can't beat the location if you do want to get out for fun. We will most definitely be back!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear pschmeda,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I appreciate your kind compliments and am delighted that our staff made your experience a memorable one for both you and your dogs. Thak you you again for staying with us, and I am truly honored that you will be returning. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!