“Personal Attention at every level” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Exclusive
Ranked #25 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
Atlanta, Georgia
“Personal Attention at every level”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This review is long overdue but I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the Chicago area. The prices are more than reasonable, especially considering the unique feel and special touches throughout the hotel and rooms. The location is virtually unbeatable. However what really sets the James apart from the other hotels I have visited in Chicago is the personal attention of all of the staff. I had a very unique situation regarding my traveling and the guest relations manager Meg went above and beyond to accomodate my needs. The check in desk was helpful with suggestions for dining and assistance with an early departure. We stayed in a suite which was quirky and cool and I can't imagine ever staying anywhere else now that I have found this charming and wonderful place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Suship1968,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. We are truly humbled by your wonderful compliments of our location and rooms, but I am most impressed to hear that our amazing staff went above and beyond to make your experience a memorable one. Most of all, I am honored to hear that after your stay, you cannot imagine visiting another hotel while in Chicago. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I recommend The James for its convenient location and accommodating staff. The rooms are swanky and comfortable with turndown service and the best shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion I've ever used at any hotel. We will be returning

• Stayed February 2013
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear SullivanAbbey,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago. It is wonderful to hear that your felt our Intelligent Nutrients products were the best you have ever used, and especially that our wonderful staff made your experience a great one. I am very glad to hear that you will be staying with us again, and appreciate your recommendation of us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed at the JAmes in Chicago. Never been there before. Great position as near to everywhere, excellent service and the rooms were great. Nothing but praise for the staff and Hotel. Would stay again and would certainly recommend to others

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Patrick C,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We are truly humbled by your kind compliments of our rooms and especially our remarkable team. Most of all, it is an honor to hear that you will stay with us again and we appreciate your recommendation of us to others. Thank you again for staying and we look forward to seeing you next time!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Definitely stay here, the complimentary wifi makes up for the $25 a night extra cost and the rooms are high end. Having never been to Chicago before I asked for some of the best places and things to do. On both occasions, Cris and Iris (sp?) were more than happy to help out with some great things to do while I was in town for meetings in Burr Ridge. I was only in Chicago for a few short days, but the knowledge and professionalism of the James made it the best stay I've had in a new city. Great place and even better people.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Mbitzer,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your recommendation of us to other travelers and are glad that our complimentary WiFi made your stay worthwhile. Most of all, it is great to hear that members of our outstanding staff were able to make some great suggestions so that you could make the most of your time in Chicago. Thank you again for staying with us, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I used to live in Chicago and now I travel there for business a few times a year. This was my first time staying at The James and it was a great experience. The location can't be beat, the chic style of the hotel is trendy but welcoming, and most importantly the staff are exceptional. As long as the price is right, I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear LoveToTravel2460898,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We appreciate your generous compliments of our wonderful staff, and I am glad that they made your experience exceptional. It is great to hear that you will consider staying with us again, especially with your frequent trips to Chicago. Thank you again and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I absolutely loved the James hotel. I checked in with no hassle the rooms were big and spacious and very clean. The location of the hotel was perfect. I also had a massage at the hotel which was just ok. But overalls my stay was great and everyone was very friendly. The bar had great drinks also! I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear casies091684,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We appreciate your kind compliments of our rooms and friendly staff. I am sorry that you felt your massage was just average; this is not the experience we anticipate our guests to have, but I am glad that it did not detract from an overall great experience. Thank you again for your compliments, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The James has become my "go to" spot in Chicago. I live in nearby St. Louis and come to the city several times a year. The James is in a great location, the staff is friendly and helpful, the price is right, the gym is plenty nice and rooms are funky without sacrificing function and comfort. There is nothing over the top about The James...it's just a cool, well appointed place with a staff that let's you know in both subtle and obvious ways that you're a welcomed guest.

Room Tip: For not a ton more money you can upgrade to the larger rooms, which have nice separate sitting areas...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Terry B,

Thank you for taking a moment to write about your experiences at The James Chicago. It is great to hear that our comfortable rooms and friendly staff make you feel at home every time you visit. It is truly an honor that we have become your preferred hotel in Chicago, and we would like to thank you for your continued loyalty to us. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!