“I liked it a lot!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

Save Saved
You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Dallas
“I liked it a lot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

A friendly doorman to welcome you, efficient and friendly desk staff, very comfortable rooms (great bed!), and good food at the restaurant all adds up to a wonderful hotel. I would definitely recommend the hotel to friends going to Chicago on business or just a weekend getaway. The only small fault is that the corridors need a good vacuuming. I really enjoyed my stay and will definitely stay at the James again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
AbelCartagena, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear AussieInDallas, Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience at The James Chicago. I would like to apologize for the condition of our corridors; this is not of the high standard we expect, but I am relieved that it did not detract from your pleasant stay. I am glad to hear about the efficient and friendly service you had from our great team, and I hope we will welcome you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I loved it here. Booked via Jetsetter.com for a great rate. Great services, great room, great location. The Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic toiletries are amazing! Stayed 4 nights and wanted to move in. The gym isn't as spacious as I had pictured but not bad at all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear mssamryan, Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We are thankful for your wonderful compliments of our rooms and Intelligent Nutrients products, and are flattered to hear that you wanted to move in! We appreciate you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a recent trip to Chicago and were very impressed. We arrived at 8:30am and were able to check into our room right away. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was lovely; spacious and very nicely furnished. The hotel is in a great location - right off Michigan Ave and within walking distance to a lot of the attractions that visitors want to see. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here - so much so, that we forgot what day we were leaving and almost missed our flight! We will definately be back to stay in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lucia J, Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago! It is wonderful to hear that you had such a great experience with us, thanks in part to our comfortable rooms and friendly staff. We are thrilled that you definitely plan on staying with us again in the future. Thank you again for your generous compliments, and we look forward to your next stay!
Flossmoor, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Spent a weekend at the James hotel and it was just great! The workers from valet, front desk, etc were just wonderful. Great customer service. My family hosted a wedding there and the wedding coordinator along with the head waiter were the best! Couldn't have picked a better hotel and venue! The whole experience was perfect.

Thank you James Chicago!

Room Tip: We had a suite.. aside from having two beds, we could easily adjust the room to fit our pack n play.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AbelCartagena, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Meg S, Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We are truly grateful that your family chose us for such a special occassion and that our team was able to assist in providing a great experience for everyone. Thank you for your wonderful compliments and we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I think this might've been the nicest hotel we stayed in during our 5 week trip around the US. We opted for the upgrade to an apartment and we were not disappointed. A great view combined with tasteful interiors made this such a lovely base for exploring chilly Chicago just before Christmas.

Amazing cocktails in the lobby, wonderful food at the restaurant and the gym is the best hotel gym I've ever seen. To top it off, the location is perfect for exploring this beautiful city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AbelCartagena, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear joelenegoesonline, Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and are truly honored that you felt we were the best hotel you visited during your vacation. We appreciate your wonderful compliments of our rooms and gym, all of which attributed to your overall great experience. Thank you again, and we hope that you will visit us again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I am a frequent business traveler of late and the first time that I stayed at The James was due to a convention in town having booked all the hotels that were near the Merchandise Mart (where my company's Chicago office is located). So I decided that I could stay at this unknown hotel, a little farther away than I had planned for the first week I was in town.

After the first night, I changed my hotel reservation for the next week from a chain hotel to The James for a second week.

The hotel staff provided excellent service, they were friendly and helpful at checkin and the bell staff was courteous when I arrived out front.

The room was lovely, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The amenities were better than I expected and I now call The James my home when I am in Chicago for work, which has been very often lately.

I don't think that the rooms are especially kid-friendly, but as a business traveller, this is not on the list of things that I am interested in. What I need is a comfortable place to call "home" where I can get good rest and can easily find somewhere to eat dinner each night.

Oh, and dinner? That's a snap! The room service menu has plenty of choices, and if that's not your thing, Pizzeria Due is in the same block (on the same side of the street even!), there's a Trader Joe's across the street for breakfast and fresh fruit and there are a WIDE variety of restaurants within a five minute walk, so there's no shortage of choice. (One tip, though, avoid the Mexican restaurant next door, Su Casa, it's just not very good at all.)

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for a quieter room. Courtyard rooms are larger as well.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Katey J, Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your experience with us at The James Chicago! We are truly humbled by your gracious compliments of our friendly staff, comfortable rooms, and amenities. We appreciate your loyalty and are honored that you feel at home with us while travelling on business. Thank you again for staying and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Center Point, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We have stayed at the James twice now, and would stay again. Perfect location just off Michigan Ave, friendly (but not extremely helpful) staff. Rooms are on the small side, but that's to be expected for a boutique hotel in the area. Bed was extremely comfortable. Bathrooms are nice sized. On our first visit, the in-room fridge did not work. Took them over an hour to come up to check on it, and never did get it working. Biggest issue with this is that in order to get ice you need to call the front desk--it's annoying to have to tip someone just for a bucket of ice. The nightly turn-down service is a nice touch, and the in-room coffee was much appreciated!
We had a voucher for the connected restaurant. Was not impressed, so was glad we didn't pay for it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear dana82899, Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago. I apologize for the delay you experienced in regards to having your refrigerator repaired; this is not the prompt response we expect our guests to recieve and I am sorry for the inconvenience. Nonetheless, I am glad that our comfortable rooms and convenient location attributed to an enjoyable stay with us. We are very appreciative of your loyalty, and look forward to your next stay!

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!