“The James Is Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

Save Saved
You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Davenport, IA
“The James Is Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Spent two nights at The James, 25-27 October, and could not have been happier. The wife and I arrived on a Thursday evening to smiling faces at the valet drop off (no self-park available....and valet is $52/night...fyi). Checked in with no wait and made our way up to the room. Not sure, but I think we had a deluxe room as we had a sitting area with second TV and a sofa. Really loved the room, although we didn't have a view worth mentioning, everything else was great; modern and clean. Huge tip of the 'ol hat to housekeeping, who took care of my wife's physical manifestation of overdrinking without issue (we cleaned up all we could and left a large tip). If the location of this hotel or the 2 p.m. checkout aren't enough to please, good luck in your search!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Abel06, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear BooCo, Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay at The James Chicago! We are truly humbled by your recommendation of us to other travelers and appreciate your compliments of our modern rooms, late check out, and helpful housekeeping staff. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back again soon!

1,826 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We checked in around 2:45 on a Friday afternoon and were immediately met at the door by several gentlemen offering their assistance. Our room , 1704 on the top floor was in the style of modern minimalist except in the mini bar department. In addition to the small airline bottles in the refrigerator, there were larger size bottles in the bar cabinet along with the requisite snacks and a few other sundry items... including a "mobile intimacy kit" containing items you might need in case you were unprepared for an intimate get together. When my daughter realized she had forgotten her hairspray a call to the desk resulted in a small pump bottle of the hair spray being delivered to our room within 7 minutes.We enjoyed the offered turn down service which included fluffing and Laying out the 2heavy terry cloth bathrobes, and the placement of a chocolate mini brownie on the bed. My daughter was headed out to her office party that night and she asked the doorman for assistance in hailing a cab. However, instead of hailing her a cab, he hailed the house driver who drove her down to Navy Pier where her party was. Other than a tip, it cost her nothing. We had room service the next morning and our order was expected to take 30 minutes but was delivered piping hot in about 20 minutes. Check out at 2 pm was quick and the staff even stored our bags while we ran over to the Drake Hotel for high tea. My only complaint about the hotel was the cheap 1 ply toilet paper in the bathroom.. The image they are trying to portray is inconsistent with the use of such a thing. The towels were huge and thick and fluffy and the bath products were superior as well. Heard very little noise from neighbors. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Abel06, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear 1Californiatraveller, Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your stay with us at The James Chicago! We appreciate that you decided to spend your mother/daughter getaway with us and that you had a great experience and enjoyed our amenities, such as turndown service and our house car service. We are especially honored that you would stay with us again; we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Nocera Umbra, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We were touring the USA and choose the James Hotel in Chicago as a special treat so were very disappointed to find it was just an average hotel. We booked a table for dinner in their award winning restaurant but still had to wait in a crowded bar for 15 minutes to be seated while non guests were ushered into the dining room which rather spoilt what was otherwise an excellent meal. Perhaps they should decide whether they are a restaurant or an hotel. The location was ideal for exploring Chicago but really that's all we can recommend the hotel for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Abel06, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear fothcad, Thank you for taking the time write about your recent experience at The James Chicago. I sincerely apologize for the delay you experienced while waiting for your reservation at our restaurant and that it adversely affected your trip with us. Average is not how we expect our guests to feel after their stay, and I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations, and our ours. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again toThe James Chicago so that we may provide you with the level of service that you deserve and re-coup you confidence in us.
Edwardsville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We recently stayed at The James Hotel in Chicago. It was the perfect hotel - super location for shopping on Michigan Avenue, wonderful room with lots of space and nice decor and furnishings, excellent service, welcoming feeling and overall perfect. The elevators were readily available with no wait time, nice bar in the loby area, and turn down bed service. There is a Trader Joe's across the street for snacks and a Home Goods Store around thre corner, and the Redheaded Parrot Piano Bar one block away. We will be sure to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear cvh7002, Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at The James Chicago. It is great to hear that we exceeded your expectations and, most of all, that you will stay with us again. Thank you again for your compliments and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The James was a great hotel for a weekend getaway. The staff was terrific. Our room was not ready when we arrived and Melissa at the front desk provided us with a drink from the bar and then upgraded our room to a suite. The room was a good size with a great shower located at the end of a hallway. My criticisms of the hotel are few. Most significantly was the noise from slamming doors and the fact that I could hear my neighbors conversation through the wall while I sat on the couch in the living area. I spoke to the front desk who offered to ask them to lower their voices but since it was in the middle of the day and it did not seem like they were being particularly loud I declined the offer. I will say that the bedroom area was quiet. Some other minor complaints are: not all of the light switches seemed to work , there were not enough options for hanging up a wet towel to dry (trying to be environmentally friendly) and that the TV was relatively small in the bedroom area. The pluses for the room were the free replenished water in a glass pitcher instead of a pricey plastic bottle, a pillow menu and twice daily turndown service. I would come back to the hotel and stay again, especially since the company offers great promotions.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear dtg001, Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with us at The James Chicago! We appreicate your compliments of our turndown service and amenities, and are glad that you enjoyed the upgraded room. I would like to apologize again for the inconveniences you encountered, but I am glad that despite them, you had a positive experience overall. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Pros:
- Great location. Mins away from a lot of great shopping.
- Comfortable beds, quite at night.
- Very friendly and knowledgeable staff!!
- Modern look and feel. iPod dock in the room, Large flat screen tv.
- I had to go back to my room because I forgot my sunglasses while the cleaning lady was cleaning the room. She asked me to swipe my room key to make sure I was staying there. Felt good knowing they don't let any random stranger walk into rooms.

Cons:
- Slow elevators.
- Rooms were slightly small.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mike Z, Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago! We appreciate your compliments of our modern rooms and amenities, and are delighted that our staff attributed to a great experience for you. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travel plans bring you to Chicago!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We chose to stay at The James for our most recent trip to Chicago. We were there from November 21 to November 25 during the Thanksgiving week(end).
The main reasons for choosing The James over the many other hotels in Chicago was the location, value for price, and reviews on tripadvisor.
I am happy to say that The James did not disappoint.

Pros:

The James is located a block away from N Michigan Avenue - the heart of Chicago.
Almost every point of interest is within walking distance - the best restaurants (NoMi, Palm Court, Signature Room, The Purple Pig etc.), museums, and even the Willis Tower (previously known as the Sears Tower)

When we arrived at the hotel, the doormen greeted us with gentle smiles and courteously held the door open for us.
The lobby of the hotel is clean, sleek, and refreshing.
Upon check-in, we were informed that The James had already honored our upgrade promotion certificate, and had upgraded us to a studio suite.
The studio suite was very comfortable - there was a kitchenette at the entrance, a very roomy and clean bathroom, a dedicated living room space with a couch and a TV, and the bedroom area with the bed and a second TV across from the bed.
While there were no slippers in our room, I remembered seeing slippers on the housekeeping cart while passin by it, and simply went back there and asked for some slippers.

What most impressed me about the amenities in the hotel was turndown service.
It is unfortunate that hotels in the US do not really partake in this wonderful tradition.
I was pleasantly surprised that The James has turndown service - every day, we came back to the room to find the blinds drawn down, and a fresh baked good on the bed, along with a bathrobe fashionable laid across the bed, while the radio was playing 80s and 90s music in the background. While I am more used to coming back to a room that has classical music playing in the background, the 80s and 90s hits was a surprisingly pleasant new take on turndown service. It's these little things that make all the difference.

I am also very grateful that after unsuccessful attempts to find an ENT specialist who could see me the Saturday after Thanksgiving, the concierge found me a doctor who came and saw me in my room.

Cons:

We did encounter a rather snappy and rude concierge on our first day, who was not very eager to help us.

While the beds were very comfortable and clean, we were woken up by the noise in the hallway - sometimes from other guests, and sometimes from housekeeping.

Conclusion:
Because of a promotion we were able to take advantage of, The James' location, amenities, service and value for price was unbeatable.
Overall, we were very pleased with our stay at The James, and would most certainly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Abel06, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear IstanbuliteinBoston, Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review on your recent stay at The James Chicago! It is feedback like yours that assists us in providing a positive experience for all of our guests. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your upgraded room and that our nightly turndown service made your stay extra special. I am sorry that you had a negative experience the first day with our concierge; please know that we will be following up accordingly, but I am glad that they were able to assist your request for medical services the next time. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!