“Great Hotel and Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

Save Saved
You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Muncie, Indiana
“Great Hotel and Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Wanted to spend weekend close to N. Michigan. James great location. Everyone working at hotel very gracious and professional. Rooms clean and neat. Our bed was turned down every evening. Great breakfast at restaurant. We look forward to returning to The James.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Abel06, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Dennis T, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The James Chicago! We very much appreciate your wonderful compliments of our staff and that you enjoyed the breakfast from David Burke's Primehouse. Most of all, we are glad to hear that your first trip to The James will not be your last, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

1,806 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Our yearly Thanksgiving stay at The James was perfect...again. Part of a beautiful tradition. Thank you Meg Welter (from Guest Relations) for making things so perfect for us. And thank you to all the staff for such friendly service. See you next year!!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear kathrynkay, Thank you for writing such a wonderful review about your stay at The James Chicago! It is truly an honor to be a part of your Thanksgiving tradition and that you have had a continually great experience with us. We appreciate your wonderful compliments of our entire staff, and I have shared your comments with Meg. Thank you again for your loyalty to The James, and we look forward to welcoming you back next year!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed there over thanksgiving and loved it! Clean, easy, super friendly staff. I rated the 'pool' low because I don't think they have one. Rooms are small, but well designed and very clean. As a Chicago native, I appreciate the great location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Abel06, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Jadesr, Thank you for sharing about your recent stay at The James Chicago! We appreciate your kind compliments of our staff and are glad that you loved your stay. Just to let you know, although we do not have a pool on-site, we do have arrangements at a neighboring property so just ask the front desk next time and they will be happy to direct you to it. Thank you again for spending your Thanksgiving holiday with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Mexico City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

What I liked best about this hotel was its convenient location, walking distance to the train station at Grand and a block away from Michigan Ave. Room decor was nice, clean and trendy but the elevator gave me a bad impression as the carpet is not clean and walls are not perfectly painted, also the hallway gave me the impression of being in an airport hotel. There is room service 24 hours which is quite good and free wifi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear viajeramx1, Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The James Chicago! I would like to apologize for the issue in regards to cleanliness of the floor; as this is not a common occurrence for us, I have addressed this issue accordingly with our housekeeping department. Despite this setback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall and found our location to be convenient. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

While visiting our daughter over Thanksgiving, we decided to spend a night downtown (my back couldn't take another night on the airbed!). We Hotwired a 4.5 star hotel in the 'Near North' area of downtown and wound up at the James. Although we paid considerably less, this hotel is worth every bit of the normal $250+ per night rate. The rooms look to be very recently remodeled with sleek tile bath, elegant lighting, large flat screen and tastefully appointed rooms. The staff was very helpful and courteous (they often aren't when you come in at the last minute with a Hotwire reservation). The location could not be better being only a block off of the heart of N. Michigan Avenue and the Magnificent Mile. The only downer is that parking was $52 per night- Yikes!

Room Tip: Go for the highest floor you can get and avoid the interior alley view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear AquaNut, Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The James Chicago! We appreciate your wonderful compliments of our modern rooms and especially our friendly staff. We are glad that you found us and hope that after this positive experience, you will stay with us the next time you visit Chicago!
Perrysburg, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife (who is 8 months pregnant) and I decided to get away for Thanksgiving weekend. I've eaten at the restaurant before so I was somewhat familiar with the hotel but never stayed here.

Location
James has a great location - actually perfect. Just a block from Mich ave and not nearly as busy. We drove our car here and it was very easy to get on/off highway from hotel.

Again it was great. My initial reservation was booked online but later I called to see if I could get a better room and they really took care of us. Front Desk/Doormen/Concierge were all very friendly and helpful.

Room
I had originally booked an apartment loft but ended up in the penthouse suite. Won't go into the details of how this transaction transpired but.....the hotel really gave us a good deal and we really appreciated it. Suite was great, big living area, big bedroom area, big bathroom. Surround sound in room was great.

Side note for James hotel....I lost my wedding ring someplace in this room so if you find it please let me know - I alerted the front desk once we checked out. The temp Kohls ring I have on is turning my finger green.

Ate breakfast 3 times and lunch once at primehouse. All were great and no complaints. I loved the sausage biscuits, my wife wasn't as in love as I was but her palate is changing daily with pregnancy.

Summary
Loved everything about this hotel would give a 4.5 if they allowed it, I just can't do 5 stars. A few little things (barley mentionable)
1. Ice service - took 45 mins two of the nights we stayed.. Granted I was mixing booze I bought at a liquor store not the hotel - maybe they knew that!
2. We had breakfast included in our rate, called down for breakfast one morning and whoever answered was very confused by what was included in our rate. Wife was a little rough on him when food was delivered (I was looking for my ring) - but she tipped him good as it was a holiday.

A few other things more insignificant than above happened, but not worth mentioning.

Will for sure stay here again, very trendy but elegant , cozy but not stuffy, friendly but not overbearing.

Places we ate
Hub 51 - great chicken nachos and steak tacos.
Tavern on Rush - thanksgiving night, most restaurants had pre fixed menus so we were happy to find a normal one - pizza was very good
Quartino - Very good also.. Mushroom risotto was really good. And the deserts were really good also.
Pops - champagne bar we (I) had drinks , really fun atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Abel06, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Dominosmaster, Thank you for sharing about your stay with us over Thanksgiving weekend! It is great to hear that our staff was able to provide the great experience that you and your wife deserve and that you enjoyed the upgraded room as well. I would like to apologize for the delay with the ice service and any inconvenience that this caused. Although our housekeeping department has thoroughly searched your room, please rest assured that we will contact you if your missing wedding ring turns up. Thank you again for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The James Chicago soon!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had our Daughter's Wedding at the James a couple of weeks ago. This Place knows how to put on a Great Event ! The Room, Food, Service, All Top Shelf ! From the Director of Special Events, Sinisa Srdic to the Hotel Staff, you could not have asked for a more personable and helpful group of People. The James made our friends and family feel very special during our stay. We will return when staying downtown again. This is a " Don't Miss " when staying in Downtown Chicago !

Room Tip: If you book a King , request a King Loft
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Tim H, Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at The James Chicago! On behalf of the entire team here, I would like to thank you for allowing us to be a part of your daughter's wedding; we are honored that you chose us for such a special occassion and that you and your guests had a great time. We appreciate your wonderful compliments and cannot wait to welcome you back to The James again soon!

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!