“"Just as Good as The First Time!"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

Save Saved
You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Bellevue, Washington
“"Just as Good as The First Time!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed at this perfectly located, clean, friendly boutique hotel in 2010 and now in November, 2012. Just completed my recent stay while attending my conference at McCormick. This place has the right amount "cool" -- a friendly and helpful staff (everywhere), orange infused water and hot chocolate at the front door, free newspapers, a computer kiosk area, and a decent gym. The bar is under the radar and the turn down service with a Primehouse treat is a nice touch. I could always count on housekeeping for a clean room et al. Nice little touches such as filtered water at the bedside were cool, too. The beds are some of the most comfortable I have ever slept on for a hotel. Oh yeah, if our buddy with the Audi Q7 is available, you can request a ride to somewhere within reason. Bottom line: The James Chicago has a certain "cool factor", and for the $$$, it is well worth the price of admission at Rush & Ontario. We did have our nightly conference rate which I thought was very fair for the Magnificent Mile area. No question, I'll be back in 3 years!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
KristinByrnes, Front Desk Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear mssking, Thank you for taking the time to share such a great review about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago! We truly appreciate your repeat business and that you found our property and staff to be just as emjoyable the second time around. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you the next time your travel plans bring you back to Chicago!

1,804 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Discovered the James via Priceline. This blind date has turned into a longstanding affair. Staff are fantastic. One can judge a hotel by its front of house: here the doormen, valets and bellmen are friendly, incredibly informed and they remembered us each day! While the concierges are officially the connoiseurs, pulleeeze bring the attitude down a notch.
Rooms were cleverly & modernly designed with enough space. Only stay here if you want to experience Chicago by day or by night; if you want to shop; if you want to dine; or if you want to see beautiful people. Love this place.

Room Tip: noise is all around you because of the location, so you might go high if you want less urbanity
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Abel06, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear HermesParis, Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at The James Chicago! We are flattered that you consider us a new home and are glad that you found us. We appreciate your wonderful compliments, and that our great team of bellmen and valet made your stay a great one. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I surprised my boyfriend with a trip to Chicago to shop the Magnificent Mile and visit the German Christmasmarkt (highly recommend!). We had found a deal on Jetsetter for the James, and I figured the deal was too good to pass up. I agree with other posters that it was a little noisy at night, but it is a city, so I'm not sure why I would expect peace and quiet. The location was pretty much perfect - two blocks from Michigan Ave and walking distance to everything (even though it was very cold!). The room was spectacular. The bathroom was not anything special, but it was clean and nice. The bed was amazing, the room was spacious, and it had multiple pieces of furniture. There is a trader joe's across the street so you can pick up wine and snacks. The only complaint I had was the service in the hotel bar. The male bartender was busy, but he was kind of a jerk. The other hotel staff were fine - not friendly, but not rude. They just did their jobs and let the hotel speak for itself, which was fine with us! I would highly recommend the hotel for your couple getaway or for your next business trip. Also, I really appreciated the water bottle they provided - no other American hotel I've stayed at recently has had this. And, side note - I know they are supporting a green initiative, but a little part of me missed the tiny hotel-sized shampoos and conditioners. I can give those up in the name of sustainability, but I missed them a little bit!

Room Tip: Check out Snique Away or Jetsetter. This hotel is featured quite often!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear heartinsydney, Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The James Chicago. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and our water bottles; also note that travel-sized versions of our Intelligent Nutrients bath products are available for purchase if you prefer. I would also like to apologize for the inconvenience in our bar; this is not what we expect any guest to experience and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am glad that despite this, you very much enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we will welcome you back soon!
Maidenhead, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Nice, stylish hotel, close to all the amenities of downtown Chicago. Very comfortable beds, excellent, though slightly pricey food in the restaurant / room service. A little noisy at night - why do the emergency services put their sirens on at 3am? Can't believe there's much traffic at that time!!
Good conference rooms and support.
No pool which is a pity - though there is a spa available.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear UK-janet, Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Chicago! I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable experience with us and that our location was convenient to some of the best sights Chicago has to offer. After a long day of visiting the city, I am happy to hear that you found our rooms and beds comfortable to relax in. Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed three nights in September '12. We wanted a smaller, "boutique" hotel close to shopping and the major attractions. We paid extra for a "loft" room/suite which ended up being located on a lower floor and overlooked a dark and gloomy atrium/air shaft. Asked to switch rooms, but nothing else was available and were told all loft rooms overlook the "atrium". The layout of the room itself was strange, the bed area up a step and squeezed into a corner. The brown shag carpet looked like it had seen better days (wear the provided slippers!). The sofa in the living room was really uncomfortable, so there was nowhere to sit and relax but on the bed. However, the staff were very attentive and friendly. The front desk kindly sent chocolate covered strawberries, champagne & a nice card for my birthday. The concierge was great, recommending & booking reservations for dinner.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JenPotvin, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The James Chicago! We are appreciative of the fact that that you chose to celebrate your birthday with us and enjoyed the champagne. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with your room and that you did not find it comfortable during your stay. We do have several different ypes of rooms, and I hope that we may find another more conducive to your preferences next time. I apologize again, and hope that you will still consider The James the next time you visit Chicago.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I loved this hotel. I wish I had more reasons to go to Chicago so I could stay again. The rooms are so comfortable and very spacious. They had so many little details that made it comfortable...the carafe of water by the bed, the over sized towels, the lights on dimmers, and the dream alarm clocks (I think that's what they were called) are all very small things that added up to really feeling at home. Plus the bed was really comfy. The rooms were very quiet, I hardly ever heard neighbors which is rare in a lot of hotels. The people that worked here were all very helpful and friendly. There was lots of stuff to walk to in the area as well, but I just wanted to lounge in my room when I had free time!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear aknoble, Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review of The James Chicago! We appreciate your wonderful compliments, especially about our great staff, and are glad to hear that our spacious rooms and room amenities made you feel right at home. Although you may not travel to Chicago often, please know that both New York and Miami Beach also feature The James brand. Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to welcome you back again soon!
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We had a reservation for 3 rooms with 5 adults and 2 kids, got only 2 rooms on arrival. 2 of the corner rooms with an extra room. During the night it was very cold and we were not able to change the a.c., even though we switched it off, it went on cooling, strange! At night it was very loud from the street. In the morning they uploaded something infront of our window and I stood vertically in the bed, not what you need, if you only spend 1 night in a hotel. We came here a few years ago and had it better in mind. The area is in good walking distance to all famous shopping places, very good. Clean and fancy.
Sorry, but next time we`ll be looking for a more quiet hotel in Chicago.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Roger S, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we appreciate you for staying with us. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. This is not the stay we expect a guest of The James to have, so I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this issue offline to find out what room you stayed with us in so that these issues may be addressed. I hope that you will reconsider staying with us the next time you visit Chicago, and I look forward to speaking with you directly.

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!