“Quiet for Sunday brunch” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Carnivale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #129 of 8,381 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, Mexican, Puerto Rican
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Halsted
Transit: Bus: The #8 Halsted at Fulton Market/Lake: 2 minute walk The # 65 Grand Avenue at Desplaines:10 minute walk The # 56 Milwaukee stops at Fulton/Desplaines: 2 minute walk Train: The Blue Line at Milwaukee/Grand: 10 minute walk The Pink Line at Clinton: 5 min walk The Green Line at Clinton: 5 min walk
Colorado
“Quiet for Sunday brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I went here with some friends for Sunday brunch. The restaurant is huge, but was pretty much empty on Sunday at 1:00 pm. We got a table out on the patio right in the open doorway and enjoyed the view of inside and outside. The red sangria was good and a bargain for pitcher at $32 in the city. I had the shrimp ceviche as an entree, and I have to say I was not very impressed. My husband, however, had the churro waffle and loved it. It seems that this place would be more lively and fun on a weekend night with a large group.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ogden, Utah
“Time to Party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The place is amazing. As our grouped arrived at Carnivale the smells were fantastic (and we were still outside.) Once we entered the restaurant, there was lots of color and great music playing. There was a great Latin vibe with the decor combined with the music. In addition, there were great drink option from Latin countries. I enjoyed a refreshing caipirinha before dinner.

Our waiter was nice and distracted. He may have been distracted because it was so busy while we were there. There were many dining options with a nice variety. I selected a fish that was very good. After dinner there were some desserts ordered by the table. My preference was to pass on dessert. However, I did have a taste of the banana cream pie, AMAZING! The banana cream pie was perfectly balanced banana flavor with sweetness. I had a bite, two bites, and then just kept going.

• Visited May 2014
Naperville, Illinois
“Still great, with maybe one less table”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I dined at Carnivale for the second time, and enjoyed it again. The music, décor and general ambience are irresistible. The food is excellent and imaginative. The service wasn't quite as good as it was the first time; our server could have been more attentive, and the bus staff could have been more prompt with water, and with removing plates (so the manager removed our plates at one point), and less eager to take my food before I'd finished. In general, though, service was good.

One recommendation to the restaurant--remove the two-person table to the left of the entrance as you enter the dining area. That's where my husband and I sat. People inadvertently hit my chair about ten times--no exaggeration--during the meal. Either a purse hit it, or someone turned the corner too sharply. It would be worth the cost of eliminating one table to treat your diners with this consideration.

• Visited May 2014
houston
“The perfect Latin atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

This restaurant is very nice. It has happy colors and for sure you feel as if you are in Miami or a tropical island. There are so many pictures of pretty, seductive woman. Where are the men, we would love to have a look every now and then. The food was really good. I ordered the Arrachera and the meat was very tender and well seasoned. Try the rasberry mojito, one of the best I had in a while. The only bad thing was the seating arrangements. But this was typical of all places in Chicago. There is not enough space and you sit very close to the couple next to you.
A little note to the restaurant - If you have plenty of nice tables that you can have your customers sit in - why place them at a bad one. Someone tried to sit us at the table that is right as we walk in where there is heavy traffic from everyone. Not a good move because if I see better tables that are empty, be sure that I will ask for a different table.

• Visited April 2014
Houston, Texas
“Nice atmosphere,food overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Carnivale had a very bright, ecclectic atomsphere, but the food was way overpriced for the quality and the service was poor. It was a birthday gathering with friends and none of us had been to this restaurant before and we were all disappointed. The food presentation was nice, but the food lacked taste and again was very overpriced for the quality.
Would definitely not return.

• Visited April 2014