“Lost the greatness” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Carnivale

Carnivale
702 W Fulton Market, Chicago, IL 60607 (The Loop)
(312) 850-5005
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Carnivale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #112 of 8,264 restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, Mexican, Puerto Rican
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: The Loop
Cross street: Halsted
Transit: Bus: The #8 Halsted at Fulton Market/Lake: 2 minute walk The # 65 Grand Avenue at Desplaines:10 minute walk The # 56 Milwaukee stops at Fulton/Desplaines: 2 minute walk Train: The Blue Line at Milwaukee/Grand: 10 minute walk The Pink Line at Clinton: 5 min walk The Green Line at Clinton: 5 min walk
Chicago, Illinois
“Lost the greatness”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

At one point, many years ago, this was a great restaurant with a great atmosphere and an excellent crowd. The food isn't is good as it used to be, and the space seems to be a bit warn and old now, and the crowd was really odd. I think it is time to switch up the concept here and open something new.

Visited November 2012

80% Recommend
“Celebrated my 25th Birthday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was here with 3 friends on March 13th, 2013 for my 25th birthday. We had reservations for 7:00pm and upon arrival we were told it would be a few minutes. We order drinks at the bar while we waited which was all of less than 5 minutes. We all ordered the Victoria's Secret specialty drink which was excellent, very pink and very sweet! When we were seated we ordered the guacamole which was the best I've ever had. It is a loud dining room, but I didn't mind because you are free to talk loudly and have a good time which was very appropriate for my party. The decorations were amazing and I especially liked the wine racks built into the walls. All of our food was out of this world! I ordered the new york strip steak and a side of fried plantains to share since I've always wanted to try them. They were worth it! So tasty! For dessert the staff brought out a small slice of cinnamon flan with a candle which was very good, also my first time with flan. Then we also ordered The Big Top dessert which comes with a slice of red velvet cake, flan, caramel corn, vanilla ice cream and plantains and a huge over sized bouquet of cotton candy on a carnival stick and sitting in a high class stuffed with more candy corn. It was very pricey but everyone around us was getting it so we of course had to try it too! Such a great birthday. The service was a little slow on our drink requests and it did take a while to get dessert, but nothing overly long. Great place and will for sure go back!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“Colorfull”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

What a great restaurant. Where do I start, we had a sampler of the home made ceviche that was excellent and beautifully prepared. There were four of us for dinner and we all tried something different and shared. I think the braised pork shoulder was my favorite. Don’t forget dessert! We went over board and bought the desert sampler, way too much food even for 4 people but the presentation was fun.

Visited May 2012
Akron
“Great big party atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

I loved this place for our conference party. The mulit-level, multi room gave you plenty of options to find places to talk, observe, and hang out. The food was decent, a little odd how they slopped the rice dish onto this big slab, I felt like I was feeding at a trough. Overall, it was a cool place to spend a few hours, and the dance floor is in decent shape.

Chicago, IL
“Nice lively spot for drinks, appetizers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I haven 't really been all that impressed with the food. But, I would recommend it for meeting friends for drinks and appetizers.

• Visited March 2013