“Class and style” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Union League Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chicago
Union League Club
You added Union League Club to your Saves list
65 West Jackson Blvd., Chicago, IL 60604 (The Loop)   |
Ranked #99 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Bokeelia, Florida
“Class and style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

This property is Chicago class and style at its best. The history and comfort make this place a destination hotel for business travellers. I have stayed here many times in the past and plan to be here many in the future. Rooms are comfortable and the staff professional.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I stayed at this hotel during a business conference. The participants were made aware of the attire guidelines so I was a little nervous about that. The conference attendees are in the education field and typically dress business casual to casual. After a long trip from the west to the east coast, I wanted to be as comfy as possible. Dressed in my nice casual attire, I arrived at the hotel and checked in. The staff was extremely helpful and I was happy that no one was staring at me (call me paranoid). The bellman escorted me to my room and explain everything in the room. The room was small, but nice. The bathroom was really small and and there wasn't a lot of room to move around. The shower was a nice size, no tub, This was surprising seeing as though this isn't a cheap hotel. Another suprise was that I heard no, I mean NO housekeeping carts in the hallway the following morning! Usually you hear the rumbling around of the cars and the maids yelling down the hall, but not here. It was quiet as a mouse. I don't know if this is typical but I sure enjoyed it :) I also enjoyed the free wifi.

My conference was 2.5 days and I didn't have a lot of extra time but I did take a couple hours to walk outside. It's in the business district so there are lots of people walking around and many stores to visit. There's a Macy's and Sears about a 7-10 min walk from the hotel and the L station is right around the corner which takes you directly to the airport for about 2.50. DO NOT take a cab to the airport in late afternoon because traffic is gridlocked. All in all it was a nice stay, however I like the freedom of dressing casually at a hotel, and the ULC just doesn't allow this. I also prefer a little more space in the room to move around. But if you don't mind this, and are okay with a very small bathroom, the Union League is a quality place to stay with terrific service. I'd say it was the best service I've had which makes it a worthy recommendations

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Laredo, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

Old style hotel with lots of history included, especially the library.
The room was comfy, but had some cheap furniture made to look nicer than it was. Beds & pillows were great, but the bathroom was unbearably tiny. After bumping our hips on the side of the sink when entering several times, we learned it was better to open the door completely and walk in to the side of the toilet before closing it.
Most of the staff were quite helpful, although one put his foot in his mouth BEFORE finding out we were guests when asked about dining areas at the hotel (it IS a private club). The place was too expensive for what we got.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

I love my regular trips back to the States from Asia - and my stay at Union League Club was a gem of an experience! The club has one of the best art collections in the Midwest, which was a treat. After work cocktails at the bar were like stepping back in time on the set of Mad Men - there are clearly many memories and secrets in that room!

I agree with the other reviews about the hotel being well-run, and the beds delightfully comfortable. And I like and appreciate the dress code - it all adds to the overall experience and is very appropriate for the stately city of Chicago...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Maastricht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

The Union League Club is an institution in Chicago; my father used to take us there for meals on special occasions in the elegant dining rooms. It was a treat to get to stay: the hotel still keeps many of the touches of a classic grand hotel with an attentive and capable staff, grand marble public areas, fine dining, and comfortable rooms. Prices were lower than I would have expected for the incredible ambience, and included breakfast and access to facilities throughout the large building..

Parking is via a valet at the front door, check-in is just inside the door in an alcove to the right. The checkin was friendly and efficient, you have to leave overcoats with the check desk just inside the hotel before going up to your room. There is a small souvenir stand with club-ware where you can purchase branded items found in your room (the temptation is always there in a place like this!)

Rooms are plush and well-equipped. The bed is soft and very comfortable: there is a flat-screen tv with cable and local channels as well as a selection of pay movies. There is a coffee maker and free wireless internet, the windows can be opened a bit , there is no fridge or minibar. There is a complimentary morning newspaper, and the room is very quiet and refined. The bathroom is all marble with a large walk-in shower, excellent hot water through the hand shower with moderate pressure.

Complimentary breakfast buffet was served on the fourth floor; eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit, cereal, and rolls. The standards for food overall are very high: a wonderful dinner with a well-prepared choice of entrees, and the 4th floor bar has a wide selection of port wines, whisky, and other classic drinks. The entire hotel is now non-smoking, so the cigar lounge is no longer there.

A very enjoyable club-experience, good for a luxury stay without breaking the bank.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

I think this probably says it all: after recently staying at the ULC, my wife and I decided to apply for membership. The ULC provides luxurious accommodations, excellent food, and friendly service at a reasonable price.

One thing you must understand, though, is that this is a club dating from the late 1800s, with all the tradition that suggests. The demands on guests are not all that great, simply that you dress somewhat less casually than what you can get away with elsewhere. In return, you will be treated to an elegant experience you cannot match anywhere else in Chicago at any price.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Nikau
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

We stayed at ULC for 9 nights running up to and including my stepdaughter's wedding. We were upgrade to a suite for the duration, which proved extremely comfortable and useful for small family gatherings, preparation of 125 wedding programmes, storage of luggage as extended family came and went, and necessary chill-out time.

I understand the rooms have been refurbished fairly recently. Ours was beautiful; I am not a huge fan of classic styles but the muted gold, sky blue and dark wood furnishings were understated, classy, and comfortable.

Our room, like all others I saw, had a close view of the office building next door. Therefore not much natural light to be had, so artificial light was necessary during the day.

Our suite had boat loads of storage (double wardrobe, desk beside the bed, two dressers), two large flat screen TVs and a large bathroom with double sink. A small bar fridge was bought in on request, great for fruit and nibbles.

Common to all rooms large and small, occupied by various family members, was the sheer quality of the bed and linens. One of the most comfortable beds I've ever had the pleasure of sleeping in. The mattress pillowtop had a down top as well. The feather pillows, designated "medium" and "soft" were luscious.

We had complimentary breakfasts in the Wigwam. It's primarily a business environment particularly during the week, so as the members of my large and raucous family began to arrive we risked upsetting the balance. However, the staff were gracious and attentive. The Rendezvous Bar was also an excellent meeting and socialising spot, with good sandwiches and a particularly nice Caesar Salad (a whole grilled romaine with the usual accoutrements).

We are casual people so were apprehensive about the dress code. Certainly, during week days, the tone is definitely all business. In the weekends jeans are allowed on Saturday mornings and all day Sunday, so things loosen up a little. We personally were careful to respect the 'code' and when we wanted to go more casual or have a run, we simply used the athletic entrance, a back door to the street but using the same lifts as everybody else.

The gym, changing rooms, sauna, pool etc were outstanding. I used the gym equipment almost every day and there were never more than 3 or 4 others there at the time.

Free Wifi was brilliant as was access to the business centre for printing etc. The library looked like a wonderfully serene spot, only I had no time to enoy it.

Location-wise, I have stayed all over the Loop and North Michigan, and have usually preferred to be closer to the river. But the ULC is just 15 minutes walk from the river and a mere three blocks from the Art Institute (which serendipitously had free admission for the week to celebrate the opening of the new Renzo Piano wing) and Millenium Park. Easy to get a breath of fresh air and view of that fantastic skyline whenever we wanted.

And as for the wedding -- what a gorgeous venue for a wonderful event. And the bride and groom weren't so shabby either!

ULC was great. I'd love to be able to stay there again, but I do believe there needs to be a membership connection (the mother of the bride is a member). On value for money alone -- even considering we were getting a good deal -- we could not have done any better anywhere in Chicago.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Union League Club? Share your experiences!