“Different feel from chain hotels, both good and bad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Union League Club

You added Union League Club to your Saves list
Union League Club
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   65 West Jackson Blvd., Chicago, IL 60604 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Ranked #101 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
Covington, Louisiana
“Different feel from chain hotels, both good and bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

If you want something different, this certainly fits the bill. It is not a chain and the staff are very efficient and courteous.

I stayed overnight here as part of a business conference and had never stayed here before. But I got the feeling that the Club is mainly designed for wealthy white male Republicans and their (male) offspring. I am not sure why I got this feeling, but I did. I wasn't the only person who felt that way though. I sat at a table for lunch with 6 other people (females and a gay male) and and all of them agreed they got that same vibe. Which is not to say the Club isn't nice or well-kept. It is both. But you feel almost as if someone is going to come up and tap you on the shoulder and ask where your husband is at and whether you wouldn't be more comfortable waiting for him in your room.

The day of checkout, I took the elevator to the lobby and was met by a nightmarish scene of screaming children in their holiday best as they were there for some kind of "get your photo taken with Santa" event. It was a sea of white faces, unless you count the staff. This was surprising to me in a city as diverse as Chicago. But it reinforced the "whites only" feeling that I got when I arrived.

The room itself was unexceptional. The bed felt too soft and several of the table lamps had burned out bulbs. Bedside plugs were not convenient to get to, and the bedside alarm didn't work. I also found a cleaning rag on the bed in my room when I arrived. The bathroom was very small and didn't have a heater, which surprised me in a city as cold as Chicago. There was also a hair in the sink when I checked in, which was kinda gross. However, the towels were nicer than you find in most chains, and the bath products were also high grade.

On the plus side, the room service was wonderful! I was exhausted and didn't feel like going out, so I ordered from the very reasonably priced menu. The food arrived quickly and was exactly as I ordered it. I was very pleased!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms on the 3rd and 4th floors as those are the floors where breakfast and lunch are...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Homewood, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We belong to a suburban country club and had "reciprocity" or privileges to stay at the Union League Club of Chicago. My husband and I enjoyed a one night get-away from our young children. Check-in was easy and polite. We stayed in a suite. The room was clean and in good shape. Our bed was extremely comfortable with the pillow top mattress. The bathroom was clean and in perfect condition. We loved the robes. Breakfast came at exactly the time we requested and was fine. The club/hotel is historic and in great condition. The bars were quaint. The dining rooms were very nice. I guess we had no complaints at all. If you can stay here, you should.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have also posted a review about the greatness of the ULC but this time I have had also a room. The rates are great and the comfort, size, and coziness of the room outstanding. if you want to be in the city and have great access to the financial district, sights, restaurants - all in walking distance - chose this hotel. Again their valet is great and everyone is so nice. The food at the club is also well done - and it is a great conference, large meeting club. There are rules, which need to be followed but nobody would ever be rude about it - ever.

The library service is very nice. You can book a room to do your phone calls, just sit a round and read and enjoy!

I love this place and now that I know about their great room rates for Chicago for a clean comfortable room - I am even happier about it!

Job well done ULC!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
new haven, ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

After reading about this hotel online (was here as part of a meeting) I was prepped to expect something more.

The meeting rooms, to be sure, are impressive. Room, however, was tiny. Bathroom was so small I could barely get in and out - even in the smallest of NYC hotel rooms I have never had such a small bathroom. They also kept putting the bath mat in the way so that you could not get the door open easily. It got to be a pain.

Amenities were not replenished.

Upon check-in I told the girl at the desk that I would not be staying four nights, only three. She seemed to adjust it. I was forced to actually check out in the middle of the third night due to flight changes because of the approaching hurricane. The staff was gracious in getting me a cab (all duly noted, it turned out, in my file) but I was then charged (I found out with my credit statement a week later) for the fourth night, evidently due to some confusion about my "early departure" on Night Three. They are being kind about rectifying this, but no one can figure out why it happened.

Note to all: they really are on the prowl for those not following orders, One of the trustees of our group wasn't allowed in a restaurant during the week because she was wearing jeans, and I, who own a fourteen-buck Tracfone I only use in emergencies, was sitting in a far corner of the Wigwam restaurant at breakfast speaking quietly with a friend about the upcoming storm and what I needed to do when I was handed a card "requesting" me to get off the cell phone. Wow! Me? Me who doesn't even know the cell number because I use it so infrequently?! So beware: when they say the staff is prepped to make you follow the rules (I wasn't even aware that was a rule) they are,

Room service food was actually not very good..at least the burger. Soup was okay. Room service guy was vey nice and the nicest and most professional employee I met there.

Room Tip: The higher the better - maybe your view won't be blocked by other buildings a stone's throw...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a very unimpressive place to spend a few nights. The view from our window was of another building and we could never tell what time it was due to the other building blocking the sun. It smells old, there was water damage in our bathroom, they didn't replace our coffee every morning, some fixtures in our bathroom where broken but they refused to fix them when, the beds were uncomfortable, the picture on the TV was snowy and they didn't get very many channels. The rooms were dank and depressing, the elevators sounded like they were going to crash to the bottom level. I witnessed one person being refused service in the bar because he was wearing shorts and a collared shirt...no shorts allowed! The food was ok, not great, and pretty expensive for what it was, but I suppose that is typical of Chicago...everything in Chicago is overpriced.

The fitness center at this hotel was nice as was the shower in the room. The location was an easy walk to the trains - you can get just about anywhere pretty easily from this hotel. Also, there is a great bar/restaurant a block over called The Plymouth Restaurant and Grill, which I highly recommend. Other than that, though, unless you are from an 'old money' family and are at least 80 years old, I just can't suggest this place to anyone. Go to the Westin or the Hampton Inn, you will have a better time. And the Hampton Inn has a free and very yummy breakfast every morning!

Room Tip: Ask for a view so you might possibly get some sunlight. Otherwise you'll feel like you're i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I have been going to the ULC of CHicago for many years now - a friend of mine is a member so everything is easy. The club is in a great location. I love using the valet team that is just more than nice - and respectful to your things.

The club is very old and a beautiful meeting location. It has the library upstairs which allows you to reserve a room and make phone calls. There is a fee of course.

It has also rooms for overnight stays which I have never used but heard of to be very comfortable a nice.

I would recommend the ULC for drinks and dinner and any meeting that you could possibly imagine. Lots of groups meet there and keep coming back. What is there more to say? Check it out!

Thanks Union League Club service people.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Front desk called our room at 1am to tell us that fire alarm needed to be serviced. No one ever showed up. At 1:30am I called front desk and was told it was handled remotely?! The day before maintenance was called to fix fire alarm - no one ever came until fire alarm started going off in room. Dennis at front desk couldn't have been more of a snot when consulted regarding parking. Asked to speak to manager and manager said "well you're getting a good room rate." I guess that means the service is acceptably poor since we got a good rate.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends