“Not as impressive as I'd expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Union League Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chicago
Union League Club
65 West Jackson Blvd., Chicago, IL 60604 (The Loop)   |
Ranked #91 of 168 hotels in Chicago
new haven, ct
“Not as impressive as I'd expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

After reading about this hotel online (was here as part of a meeting) I was prepped to expect something more.

The meeting rooms, to be sure, are impressive. Room, however, was tiny. Bathroom was so small I could barely get in and out - even in the smallest of NYC hotel rooms I have never had such a small bathroom. They also kept putting the bath mat in the way so that you could not get the door open easily. It got to be a pain.

Amenities were not replenished.

Upon check-in I told the girl at the desk that I would not be staying four nights, only three. She seemed to adjust it. I was forced to actually check out in the middle of the third night due to flight changes because of the approaching hurricane. The staff was gracious in getting me a cab (all duly noted, it turned out, in my file) but I was then charged (I found out with my credit statement a week later) for the fourth night, evidently due to some confusion about my "early departure" on Night Three. They are being kind about rectifying this, but no one can figure out why it happened.

Note to all: they really are on the prowl for those not following orders, One of the trustees of our group wasn't allowed in a restaurant during the week because she was wearing jeans, and I, who own a fourteen-buck Tracfone I only use in emergencies, was sitting in a far corner of the Wigwam restaurant at breakfast speaking quietly with a friend about the upcoming storm and what I needed to do when I was handed a card "requesting" me to get off the cell phone. Wow! Me? Me who doesn't even know the cell number because I use it so infrequently?! So beware: when they say the staff is prepped to make you follow the rules (I wasn't even aware that was a rule) they are,

Room service food was actually not very good..at least the burger. Soup was okay. Room service guy was vey nice and the nicest and most professional employee I met there.

Room Tip: The higher the better - maybe your view won't be blocked by other buildings a stone's throw...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a very unimpressive place to spend a few nights. The view from our window was of another building and we could never tell what time it was due to the other building blocking the sun. It smells old, there was water damage in our bathroom, they didn't replace our coffee every morning, some fixtures in our bathroom where broken but they refused to fix them when, the beds were uncomfortable, the picture on the TV was snowy and they didn't get very many channels. The rooms were dank and depressing, the elevators sounded like they were going to crash to the bottom level. I witnessed one person being refused service in the bar because he was wearing shorts and a collared shirt...no shorts allowed! The food was ok, not great, and pretty expensive for what it was, but I suppose that is typical of Chicago...everything in Chicago is overpriced.

The fitness center at this hotel was nice as was the shower in the room. The location was an easy walk to the trains - you can get just about anywhere pretty easily from this hotel. Also, there is a great bar/restaurant a block over called The Plymouth Restaurant and Grill, which I highly recommend. Other than that, though, unless you are from an 'old money' family and are at least 80 years old, I just can't suggest this place to anyone. Go to the Westin or the Hampton Inn, you will have a better time. And the Hampton Inn has a free and very yummy breakfast every morning!

Room Tip: Ask for a view so you might possibly get some sunlight. Otherwise you'll feel like you're i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I have been going to the ULC of CHicago for many years now - a friend of mine is a member so everything is easy. The club is in a great location. I love using the valet team that is just more than nice - and respectful to your things.

The club is very old and a beautiful meeting location. It has the library upstairs which allows you to reserve a room and make phone calls. There is a fee of course.

It has also rooms for overnight stays which I have never used but heard of to be very comfortable a nice.

I would recommend the ULC for drinks and dinner and any meeting that you could possibly imagine. Lots of groups meet there and keep coming back. What is there more to say? Check it out!

Thanks Union League Club service people.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Front desk called our room at 1am to tell us that fire alarm needed to be serviced. No one ever showed up. At 1:30am I called front desk and was told it was handled remotely?! The day before maintenance was called to fix fire alarm - no one ever came until fire alarm started going off in room. Dennis at front desk couldn't have been more of a snot when consulted regarding parking. Asked to speak to manager and manager said "well you're getting a good room rate." I guess that means the service is acceptably poor since we got a good rate.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Charles Town, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I am a member and I go to this club when I'm in town on business trips quite frequently. I go there because its nice to get the type of service they provide and the quality food they serve. The building is extremely stuffy with its lack of outdoor views and fresh air. The dress codes at times can be annoying, but I know that going in so I can't complain.

The club is filled with antiques, historic items and local lore. Its a mecca for professionals who want to impress clients with a tasteful environment. The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms small but stylish and the latest technology is available in each room. There has been considerable effort made to keep up with the times.

If you like to read, there is a onsight 5 star library with old and recent reading materials of all kinds. Newspapers, magazines, novels, children books, etc.

Room Tip: request a room away from the elevators. You can hear it grinding up and down through the walls.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
prescott, ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I have stayed here several times on business. I have found all of the staff very helpful and attentive. The rooms are okay but with very small bathrooms. Good location and comfy beds. Free wi-fi is a nice touch.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is a classic old club, complete with the weekdays dress code (no denim!). The meeting and dining rooms were exquisite but our bedroom was a bit on the not-updated side.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Union League Club? Share your experiences!