“Good Sangria...Good food...Service- eh...not so great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Zapatista

Zapatista
1307 S Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60605 (The Loop)
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Zapatista is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,166 of 8,383 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: The Loop
Cross street: 13th Street
Transit: Blocks from the Red, Green and Orange line. Michigan Ave. Bus one block away.
Bethesda, Maryland
“Good Sangria...Good food...Service- eh...not so great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great outdoor seating. Service was poor. We had to ask for plates, and silverware, and napkins...and water glass refill.

It seemed like the wait staff were on their own- no other server - or anyone other than our server would take the time to assure we had what we needed.

Won't return.

• Visited September 2013

New Jersey
“Very good meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

There were six of us in our party, and all of us were very pleased with our meals. I was torn between the burrito and the enchiladas, and asked the server for his advice. He suggested the enchiladas, and I'm happy that I listened to him. Unlike some that I've had, which were pretty tasteless and smothered in cheese, these were very tasty, and covered in a cocoa-y mole sauce. I'll definitely go back.

• Visited August 2013
Chicago
“Terrible Service, Great Patio, Mediocre Food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The best thing about Zapatista is the patio. The good thing about our visit was that our party of 6 with a reservation was quickly seated. It was all down hill from there. I've lived in the South Loop before Zapatista was in the neighborhood, service has been terrible since day one! The only time I go is when visitors see the wonderful patio and insist on that experience. Otherwise, I never eat at Zapatista. I just walk/drive by!

Although, there were 6 people in our party we were only given 4 sets of napkins/silverware. Throughout the evening, we continued to ask for additional silverware. The waitress seemed disinterested in serving drinks and food. She finally took our order and much later our food arrived. They didn't bring food for one person in our party. Again we had to track down people and asked for the food many times. Fifteen minutes later the missing dish arrived. Also, we asked many times for additional salsa to put on our main entrees. After, all the waiting, I finally got up and got the salsa my self!

I will continue to walk by Zapatista and beg my guests to do the same!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
“Dinner with the Client”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Great menu with a lot of expected but some unexpected choices available. Food was all well prepared with a good presentation, and service was very attentive to our table of 7. Atmosphere is good but nothing spectacular. Nice place for mexican fare if you're in this section of Chicago.

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“The fresh made guacamole is excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife raved about her Camarones Borrachos - a sautéed shrimp in Adobo and coconut rice. I had the Cochinita Pibil (marinated pork) which was good but not special. The place is lively but we were able to converse and be heard.

But the highlight was the freshly made guacamole. Excellent.

• Visited June 2013