“Ridiculous” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Redhead Piano Bar

Redhead Piano Bar
16 W. Ontario St, Chicago, IL (Near North Side)
312-640-1000
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #53 of 502 Nightlife in Chicago
Type: Piano Bar, Bars
“Ridiculous”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife, in-laws, and I decided to go to this bar. My father-in-law was told he couldn't wear his shoes in and would need to trade them at the mandatory coat check. ALL of the tables had Reserved signs on them. My wife and I ordered waters because we didn't want to order a drink and the waitress brought out 2 bottles of Fiji water which were $5 each. My mother-in-law ordered a coke which was $4.50. This place needs to get rid of half their employees who stand around and do nothing. Do they really need 2 people at coat check? 5 "security" guards? And 4 waitresses? There were more staff there than customers. STAY AWAY FROM THIS BAR!

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Birthday Blues!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I know many of the reviews on here are rather negative but can I just say, that my wife and I had a great time here. After being told about the bar at our hotel, we decided to have a night out on a Sunday. Because it was the 3rd of July the dress code was more relaxed. My wife and I encountered friendly staff, who directed us to seats in front of the piano. The drinks were on the expensive side but, as it was my birthday the day after we didnt mind that much. The singer was great, a wide selection of tunes and good audience participation. Being English the day before Independence Day made for great banter! Overall I can see where some people are coming from as the place was very crowded with too many people jostling for position, but apart from that I would happily recommend a visit to the Redhead. Yes there may be better venues to go to, all the more reason to return to the fantastic Windy City!

Visited July 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
“Bar full of employees with very poor social skills.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

On a recent trip to Chicago, I went around with a group of about 8 others to enjoy the night. Our party went on the recommendation of an employee of the hotel we were staying to the redhead piano bar. We arrived at the bar to find a small line outside. assuming it was the attraction itself causing the line we stayed. after about 10 minutes out in the cold, we were let in. seems the line was due to the small size of the bar. once inside the bar 1 of our friends was informed that he could not come in with his tennis shoes, they graciously handed him a pair of 'acceptable' shoes he could wear. It took is quite a while to get any service at the bar understaffed. once we finally got drinks we found a table or 2. we spoke with a nearby group that was not using their entire set of tables and moved the empty table 5 feet to join our other 2. this apparently angered our waitress told us we can no longer get drinks at the bar if we were going to sit there. later another party joined us bringing another round, our waitress magically appeared insisted she been there 3 times and then stormed off, followed by a manager. and then followed by earpiece wearing security who took time away from outside shoe patrol, all telling us we were depriving the waitress of her rent money. my son was even harassed by the bathroom attendant, telling him he was just a puppy any probably hadn't even served his country??? we decided it was time to leave we got our mandatory coat check back went on our way.

south
“Stay Away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Why oh why does a place this small need (1) at least eight security camera bubbles; (2) at least eight wall mounted security or safety lights (OK, maybe they are safety, but they seem closely associated with the cameras; (3) a mandatory coat check (complementary yeah, sure) for the stated reason of "safety" - this is the only place that have ever heard that a coat on the back of a chair is a trip hazard; (4) four dark suited bouncers with radio ear pieces; (5) to tell a patron next to the piano that if he stands up again he will be thrown out. Stay away.

Visited January 2013
Kitchener
5 attraction reviews
“Great fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Went to the Redhead Piano Bar on my last night in Chicago. I was there on my own & felt safe. (There were a variety of people, both young & older.)
Higher end establishment with a dress code. Better still, it was just a block from my hotel in a well lit area.
Sat around the piano on bar stools & sang the songs I knew with other patrons. It was great fun! The pianist was really good & sang a variety of well known songs. He also accepted requests.There was no cover charge & even a free coat check. You could leave a free will tip.

Not sure if there was a bar food menu. The waitress was very rushed & just appeared to be taking drink orders.

I will definitely come back to this Piano Bar the next time I am in Chicago.

Visited December 2012

Been to Redhead Piano Bar? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Redhead Piano Bar, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.