“Great evening!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Symphonies, Performances
Norcross, Georgia
“Great evening!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My son and I thoroughly enjoyed the evening at the symphony! It was a great way to start our Northwestern visit.

Visited February 2014

Chicago IL
“There is nothing like it anywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We have been able to hear the Berlin Philharmonic in Berlin, the Vienna Philharmonic in Vienna (both for several concerts), and all the major American orchestras.

There is nothing that approaches the Chicago Symphony. No other strings play with such fabulous intonation and tone. No cell section has EVER played everything in tune. Consultation with old recordings (of say Tchaikovsky or Shostiakvich's 5th) demonstrates what I mean.

Brass is outstanding, anchored by the trombone section which has been the signature of Chicago since the 1960's. Horns have almost returned to their glory and are certainly the match of horns anywhere except perhaps Berlin. Trumpets are fine but not Herseth.

Not to be missed!!!

Visited January 2014
Chicago, Illinois
11 attraction reviews
“HEAVENLY MUSIC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

What can be more soothing and calming that the music played by the CSO and heard at Symphony Center in Chicago?.I have been a subscriber for 42 years and the first thing I did when I arrived in Chicago in the Summer of 1972 was to subscribe to the CSO season.I hardly missed a concert since then,even in the cruelest winters or swon storms.I was very fortunate that I found an apartment to live in just half a block from Symphony Center which has allowed me to attend even more concerts.
I have heard and seen some of the greatest conductors of our era:Carlo maria Guilini,Sir Georg Solti,and many many more,a list of names that could fill a musical encyclopedia.We,the audience.and the City of Chicago are blessed having as Music Director now Maestro Mutti,one of the best if not the best.It would impossible to name the soloists that have performed and spread magic from the stage.
All I want for myself and the public is many more years of enjoyment of great music,great soloists and great conductors.
Long live the CSO."Viva la musica"!!!!!!

Visited November 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Blown Away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Amazing. . Was not let down. They Played Pictures at an Exhibition and it was stunning. The brass during Great Gates were mind blowing good. Chris Martin Principal Trumpet is one of the greatest.

Visited December 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“CSO - What A Great Concert!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Overall: Nothing negative for this review, everything was great! We attended the Welcome Yule! concert in December of 2013. The concert was amazing, highly recommend if you've never been before. Before the show and during the intermission they serve drinks and snacks. We pre-ordered our drinks for the intermission and they were waiting for us when we got out. They also had additional musical acts before the show and during the intermission. On our level was an ensemble playing the Handbells.

If I were forced to offer one criticism, it would be the website. I would recommend they come up with a way to show you your seats before you purchase so you can see what your view of the orchestra will be.

Visited December 2013