“Good food, no ambiance” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Smith & Wollensky - Chicago is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #279 of 8,380 Restaurants in Chicago
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North Bank of Chicago River
Transit: State/Lake, Grand
Description: The ultimate steakhouse in the city that knows its steak. Adjacent to the Loop on bustling State Street, our Chicago location offers an impressive view of the Chicago River and features a large outdoor patio open during pleasant weather, spring through fall. Enjoy turn-of-the-century décor, and ample space for private events. For more casual fare or a relaxing cocktail hour, visit Wollensky’s Grill on the lower floor. Tours of the dry-aging room and on-site butcher shop may be arranged by special request.
Mount Prospect, Illinois
“Good food, no ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

There were 8 of us for dinner. They sat us (as requested) in a quieter part of the restaurant. Most of us had steak; one steak had to be sent back but the staff handled it well and quickly. Our servers were friendly and suggested several yummy dishes and desserts. The only thing lacking in this place is ambiance. It is too bright and noisy - dimming the lights some would help.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Dallas, Texas
“Best steak in town, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Very nice restaurant by the water, downtown Chicago. Great view, amazing steaks and excellent service. A bit pricey, but worth it!

• Visited November 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“Best creamed spinach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Went there with the family on a trip into the big city. Everyone loved what they ordered, we had great service and not a long wait for a table. Some of us had steaks and some had fish, so we had a pretty wide selection off the menu. Best part was the side order of creamed spinach, which my hubby loves and I am usually not a big fan of. S&W converted me! I love their version. Don't miss it.

• Visited May 2012
Concord, New Hampshire
“Absolutely Amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I work as a server is a very tourist heavy part of New Hampshire. I love when I get the service that I expect all servers to be able to give their guests. Smith & Wollensky absolutely blew me away.

I went with a group of 4 women (my mother included) and we were seated downstairs, at the window overlooking the river and downtown as we had requested. We did not wait to be seated at all. The spot was perfect. We all started with DELICIOUS cocktails before ordering our meals, all 4 of us were thrilled, especially since we all tried something different.

I started my meal with the shrimp bisque, with along with the assortment of bread and pretzel bread, and their amazing butter spread, was absolutely unique to me! Everything was wonderful.

We all ordered steak (of course). The one complaint i have is that my mother and I ordered our 14 oz filets medium, and they were closer to medium rare, and our friend who also ordered a filet, ordered hers medium rare, and hers was more like medium! It could have been an easy mix-up between the server and kitchen, but at $45 per steak, is pretty disappointing for a steakhouse. If this were a $20 steak at Applebee's, I'd let it fly, but its not.

We also ordered a bottle of wine, which was fantastic (a S&W Private Reserve). It was refreshing to see a server who knew the proper way to present and serve a table a nice bottle of wine. She was excellent, attentive but not overbearing and had wonderful suggestions. She did seem a bit unpracticed in the way in which items are prepared (au poivre versus roasted cippolini versus mushroom ragout) but overall was very thoughtful.

I would absolutely go back! What a wonderful girls night out!!!!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vernon Hills, Illinois
“Great Steaks!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went here for an IT storage seminar back in the fall of 2012. This place is phenomenal. The service is excellent, the food was top notch, great view of the Chicago River; no complaints!

• Visited October 2012