“It's cozy, comfortable, clean, creative, calm & conscientious ALL rolled into one!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ray's Bucktown Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chicago
Prices are for rooms, adults
Ray's Bucktown Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Ray's Bucktown Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
2144 N Leavitt, Chicago, IL 60647 (Northwest Side)   |
Ranked #5 of 25 Chicago B&B and Inns
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

Don't even know where to start - SO pleasantly surprised and SUCH a great find/place to stay! You'd be just about crazy to stay anywhere else in the city. Cannot WAIT to come back and SUCH a great deal/bargain for the price!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

They really go out of their way to be helpful and make your stay great from helping unload, parking, storing stuff to recommending places to go. I stayed in the annex, so even though I didn't get a cooked breakfast, they had plenty of snacks and breakfast items for us. It's in a great location with plenty of restaurant and bar options. The rooms were simple, roomy, comfy, and very clean.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
stoke
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

Another great time at Rays, made all the better due to the company of maureen the hostess with the mostess! She made my time in Chicago pass smoothly, wether it was talking about our shared love of small cats or the fact that my underpants kept ending up in the garden (they said it was the air conditioning). Food was great as usual, ellens a great cook, one minor quibble, eggs and eggs and eggs. But hey, i could cope with that.
Only problem i had all weekend was that Ray advertises that he does in house counseling. I was feeling a little blue on the saturday, so i left a note on the fridge for Ray to pop upto me. He never did. I guess he was busy, i know he does a lot of hunting.
So yeah, great place, great people. ....and maureen, next time i'm over there...brunch?

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

My husband & I made plans for a long weekend to Chicago in September 2010 to celebrate our birthdays. For me, it was a big one, 50 years old! Since this was a BIG deal, I thought that we should stay in a B & B to make the trip a bit more special. I've stayed in other B & B's in the US & Europe & enjoyed a B & B over a hotel any day. So, it was with great anticipation to check into the B & B when we arrived in Chicago. The plan was to check in, go to the room to relax a bit before we headed out to dinner & a show that we had tickets to that night. First off, the parking was near to impossible. We drove around the block multiple times before we found a space since street parking was the only thing available. We walked into the main building of Ray's B & B to check in & found the main room/office very dark and dreary. Ray was there & was happy to greet us. He started off in rapid fire all the things we would need to know. He walked us over to the building next door to show us our room. Unfortunately, the building he took us to had NO WINDOWS! The missing windows were floor to ceiling windows that were in the front room. I believe six total. Our room was about seven steps from the front door. Ray informed us that the building was still under renovations & the windows were delayed. However, the workers were going to put up plywood for the night. LIKE A CRACK HOUSE! With all that hammering, there would have been no way to relax before we headed out for the night. Plus the furniture in the living room area was all covered with plastic drop cloths because they weren't done mudding the room. Ray told us that he hoped the windows would arrive the next day. My husband inquired when the workers would start the work the next day and we were told by 9 AM. So much for sleeping in, peacefully. Plus with the room right off the main livig area, you know the one with out windows, we would have to deal with being gawked at from the workers. Not to mention knowing that our stuff in the room wouldn't be secure while we would be away the next day. When we told Ray that this was unacceptable he offered to take $20.00 off our bill. BIG DEAL. He then said he would try to reach another guest who was staying in the main house to see if he would swap with us for the night. But he couldn't guarantee it. We told Ray that there was no way we could stay there and wanted a full refund of our deposit. While we waited for Ray to run the credit I was checking out the dining room back in the main building and found that the place needed a good cleaning. The thing that really upset me is that Ray had my cell phone number & he could have called us to let us know that the building was not ready & what our options were. But he did not. As we told some people in Chicago about this they said Bucktown is good during the day but watch your back at night. They also said to pray that your car isn't broken into.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
the_renaissance_man, Owner at Ray's Bucktown Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
We are very sorry that this person was unhappy. We always do everything within our control to make people comfortable and enjoy their stay.
Although this guest booked at our Vacation Rental, not at our B&B we still try to make those people happy. During the two weeks we were waiting for new glass for the front window, 22 people had happily stayed here.
Now in the reviewers defense, she checked in during the few hours the construction crew had temporarily taken down the heavy plywood down to do some final patching around the area that the windows were coming in the next day.
It was obvious she was upset, so we offered to upgrade her to a room next door at the actual B&B (a $50 per night more expensive room) where there was no construction of any kind, but they just wanted a refund, which we happily gave them on the spot.
We again are sorry they were unhappy about something out of our control, as we always do whatever we can to make people happy. Hopefully everyone understands that Bucktown is a safe neighborhood, as can be seen by the many families with children living in the neighborhood, and new restaurants, spas & boutiques constantly popping up.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

I chose this place based on reviews from other travelers here at Trip Advisor. My husband and I were there for four nights, from Monday to Thursday. The place was full the whole time we were there, which spoke well of Ray!

When we arrived, we got in 1 hour earlier than expected, so Ray wasn't on hand to greet us personally. However, he had left his cell number with us, so we were still able to let ourselves in right away. When he arrived home (from grocery shopping), we introduced ourselves and he gave us a complete run-down of the place: free parking on the street, washer and dryer, umbrellas to borrow, a Mac for guest use, steam room, sauna, the cats (there are two), books and magazines galore. We chose our breakfast time and we were good to go. Ray also provides driving/transit instructions to every major sight in Chicago. It was a huge help because we took transit, rather than driving downtown.

Breakfast is delicious. I would highly recommend the omelet (you can choose any combo of 10 different fillings) and the roasted potatoes. In addition to ordering off the menu, there are home made pastries and fresh fruit available. There was so much food at breakfast that I was unable to finish my meal! Breakfast is served on the main floor in the dining room, so there are people coming in and out throughout the 2 hours that breakfast is served. I really enjoyed meeting the variety of people that stayed at Ray's. Most stayed one or two days, so the conversation was always new and interesting.

And Ray provides bottled water for guests to take. What a nice perk!

We stayed in two different rooms - the first one for three days, and the second one for a single night.

Our first room was the West Room. It's definitely cozy. There's a closet beside the bed, a tv stand at the end of the bed with TV, DVD player, radio alarm, and phone. There are two bunks built right into the wall - so I'd recommend this room for a family with kids that like bunks. Four adults would fit but you wouldn't want to spend much time hanging out in the room. For just the two of us it was a good size.

The West Room bathroom is unusual. We liked it because of the double sinks and open (glass brick) shower. However, the bathroom's main wall is the glass bricks of the steam room! It was unnerving at first because I wondered who would see me naked. So I had my husband stand in the bathroom and I turned on the steam next door. Once the steam is going, you can't see ANYTHING in the bathroom, so I felt comfortable. On the plus side, it's like having your own private steam room, because no one else used it the whole time we were there. On the downside, the short hallway into the bathroom is narrow. So narrow that my husband had to turn sideways to get down it. I just barely fit facing forward at the room entrance (narrowest part) but at the bathroom end it widens out.

The second room we stayed in was the Skylight Room. This one was beautiful! It was open and airy and filled with light. I found the bed too soft in this room - so if you like soft beds, go for this room (I like hard beds). Though the skylights are right above the bed, they are shuttered with black pleated fabric blinds so they let very little light through. This room also has a TV, DVD player and radio alarm. I don't remember if there's a phone.

The Skylight Bathroom was also fantastic. Jet tub! Shower, toilet and sink are nicely laid out. The bathroom is at the bottom of the stairs, and then you climb up to the room itself. This gives added privacy because the bathroom is on the main level, but the bedroom is upstairs so it's quiet. The whole suite has it's own entrance, so it's not like other people will be using your bathroom.

Definitely check out the photos on the website - they'll give you a good idea of the place.

The neighborhood is quiet and safe. Even coming back at 11pm, we didn't feel unsafe at all. The B&B is a 10 minute walk from the train, and the train takes 10 minutes into The Loop, so it's very convenient for sightseeing. You are also right between N. Damen Ave (a FANTASTIC place for restaurants and people-watching) and Western (another busy street filled with restaurants, shopping, and grocery stores). Though these two main avenues are busy, Ray's neighborhood is peaceful.

Ray and his staff were so friendly and helpful. It made the entire experience a fantastic one, and if I'm ever back in Chicago, I'm definitely staying there! Thanks!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

Stayed here for four nights at the end of May while attending a conference in DT Chicago.
Lovely neighborhood with lots of nice places to eat and drink. FANTASTIC cooked to order breakfasts. Free internet. Air conditioning. Great staff who are helpful, friendly and will leave you alone when you want them to. Short walk to the train to downtown. Huge, rambling space, with lots of public spaces you can relax in if you want to. Very welcoming. I stayed in the Da Vinci room, which has both a desk in the room and an office space just outside it in a private alcove with the room's bathroom. Lovely bathroom with whirlpool tub and heated floor. Street parking, which was easy to get near the B and B the one day when I did have a car. A great experience. Will definitely stay here the next time I am in Chicago!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Germantown, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

My wife and I just returned from a three night stay at Ray's and recommend it highly to everyone. There really are no hotels in the Bucktown area and this B&B is convenient to everything.

Ray and his staff will do anything to help you and you can skip lunch after the huge made to order breakfast they serve you.

We will definately be bcak.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Ray's Bucktown Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!