“Great location and nice extras” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue

You added Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue to your Saves list
Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   320 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60601 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #34 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Indianapolis
“Great location and nice extras”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The large suite had an excellent view of Magnificent Mile overlooking the river and the Chicago Tribune. Room was large ( a bit of an odd shape), with a comfy bed, large closet, full kitchen (frig, dishwasher, oven/stove, microwave and minimal essential dishes. The washer/dryer in the room was a huge bonus. Free wi-fi and continental breakfast all included. Breakfast included fresh fruit, cereal, milk, juice, coffee, eggs, meat (sausage or bacon), bread, yogurt, etc. There is a CVS and Walgreens within 2 blocks of the hotel and lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance. This is not a luxury hotel, but it was nice and comfortable for the price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We are delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us! We would be honored to welcome you back when you are next in Chicago.
Natalie Furka-Padgett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Butlerstown, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The room was great. Had the best view of the river and the street. The room had a complete kitchen with a dishwasher. It had it's own washer and dryer. The breakfast was good. I just wish they had serve bacon for the grandkid. I would stay again. Great location!

Room Tip: Ask for 1905 room with the river view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We are thrilled you enjoyed your River View from room 1905! We would be honored to welcome you back when you are next in Chicago; hopefully during your next visit we will be serving bacon for you!

Dove Canyon, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Comfort Suites is a smaller hotel located right on North Michigan Avenue, just south of the Chicago River. The location is fantastic for walking to Millenium Park, the museums, and Michigan Avenue shopping. Everything is closeby and convenient.

The room was good sized, included a good kitchenette, a washer and dryer, and a safe. It would be comfortable and convenient for longer stays. The room was clean, but the bathroom is showing its age. There are only 5 rooms on each floor so each is close to the elevator, but with how the rooms are arranged, hall noise isn't an issue. There are 26 floors.

The staff is very friendly and will work to accommodate any request. Breakfast is the typical pastries, eggs and sausage, cereal and waffles. The breakfast room is very small so many mornings we took breakfast back to our room. Normally not a problem, but one of the two elevators broke down so it was difficult for a while. This was a major inconvenience but was fixed within 24 hours.

The hotel's major attraction is its location. It is clean and comfortable with friendly staff, but not a Michigan Avenue luxury property.

• Stayed August 2013
We truly appreciate your understanding of the elevator situation during your stay. Thank you so much for your kind compliments on the staff! We are happy to see that you found our location convenient for exploring the city. We would be delighted to welcome you back when you are next in Chicago.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The location is perfect - on MIchigan Avenue, just south of the Chicago River. The hotel is convenient to the Magnificent Mile, which starts just north of the river, and it is extremely close to the attractions south of the river, including Millenium Park, the Art Institute, and so on. The closest El stop is just a few blocks away.

The hotel is small, so there is no concierge desk, but the front desk staff were all quite friendly and helpful, as were the breakfast staff and the maintenance workers. We tried to check in a bit early, and the rooms were not ready; to make up for this, we (and our friends in another room) were upgraded to a better room. Overall, I had no complaints at all; my wife's only complaint is that the A/C was a bit noisy.

To sum up, an excellent choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to see you enjoyed not only the location, but our staff. They really enjoy reading kind compliments like yours. When you are next in Chicago, we would be honored to welcome you back.

yorba linda, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I are originally from Chicago from two very large families. We currently live in California with our kids/grandkids and decided to take all 18 of us back to Chicago for a family trip.

We were SO FORTUNATE to find Comfort Suites at 321 N. Michigan Ave. in downtown Chicago.

Since there were 4 families (8 adults, 10 kids ranging in age from 17 to 7 months), we had the penthouse suite (2 king rooms, 2 bathrooms), 2 king suites and a queen suite and could not have been happier. Some of the highlights were:

full size kitchen (stove, oven, microwave, refrigerator with freezer, dishes)
full size washer/dryer
free internet
free computers (2) and a printer off the lobby
free breakfast

They are also located within walking distance of every major attraction/venue in the city and what you can't walk to, you can take very cheap public transportation. We had pedometers for everyone in the family and the one who got the most steps on a daily basis got $5 - it really was fun!

However, what really made it the best for us was the staff. The manager, Natalie Furka-Padgett was wonderful and everyone from Brandon and Nader (front desk) to the housekeepers were always there to help us in anyway they could. What really brought it home was as we were leaving yesterday, the 4 year old started crying because she did not want to leave "her new home"....

This was the best family vacation we have ever had and I would highly recommend the hotel and the staff!

Thank you, Comfort Suites!!

Room Tip: Work with Natalie on the size and ages of your group - she knows exactly what rooms will work best f...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We were so delighted to host your family during your time in Chicago! I'm so glad we were able to find the perfect rooms for everyone. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We cannot wait to welcome you back when you are next in Chicago.

Santa Clara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

After reading all the great reviews, I decided to stay at Comfort Suites during the 6 days I'm in Chicago. (7/26-7/31) I indicated that we are a party of 4 during my booking.

We arrived early on 7/26 and was told by Cecilia that our room was not available. Using the information I gathered from TripAdvisor, I asked Cecilia to avoid putting me on the 13th floor, due to black mold mentioned by other reviewer. She told me "We don't have a black mold problem" and I replied "I saw some reviews online." Cecilia replied "Whatever". I was shocked by her caustic reply. What happen to all the nice and friendly staff that I read so much about on TripAdvisor?

Anyways, here is my opinion based on my 6 days' stay.

Pros:
1. Location - walking distance to attractions (Art Institute, Millennium Park, Magnificent Mile). 10 minutes walk to CTA stations.

2. Size of room - feels like a 1 bedroom apartment that has been converted to hotel. However, the 1 bedroom has got no privacy, as there is no wall separating the bedroom from the kitchen.

3. In Suite Washer/Dryer - This was the main reason for me choosing Comfort Suite over Hampton Inn. But they were located in the bedroom and are really loud. I did 5 loads during my stay and it was torturous.

Cons:
1. I have indicated family of 4, but there was only 3 towels in the bathroom the 1st night. I called front desk for another towel. On 2nd night, there was only 2 towels. I had to call front desk again. And this repeats itself for the rest of the nights. On 2 occasions, we found blood stains on the fresh towels that was hand delivered by housekeeping.

2. The bathroom is small compared to the rest of the room. There is popcorn ceiling in the bathroom, but there is no exhaust fan. This results in steamy bathroom when you take a hot shower. The ceiling is bumpy, the wall paper is peeling and there is water damage at the bottom of the vanity closet. The shower rod was not properly secure to the wall. Shower curtain cannot be closed properly and resulted in wet floor.

3. Slow elevators. 2 elevators serving 26 storeys. There is 5 guest rooms on each storey. Housekeeping and Maintenance staff also used these 2 elevators. (no service elevators) You do the math. This did not bother me as much as I knew about it when booking the room. Also, I was out most of the day and only used the elevator 2-4 times a day.

4. Breakfast is a sorry sight. Maybe I am spoiled by Hampton Inn and Drury Suites (which I also stayed at during my road trip from Kansas City to Chicago). Yes, there is coffee, milk, yogurt, baked goods (store bought, I think), egg, sausage and a waffle station. But it just all feel so haphazardly thrown together.

I will not stay here if I am in Chicago again. I paid $200+ a night, but I feel like I am staying at a $80 a night budget hotel.

Instead, I may take my chance with Hampton Inn (according to TripAdvisor reviews, they have noise from fire station across the street).

After reading the other reviews posted recently about courtesy bus to Navy Pier, I am annoyed that it wasn't even mentioned to us. There was no warm welcome or handshake. Sometimes, the staff don't even bother to greet us when we leave or come back. So, other than the pregnant lady who gave us advice on pizza joints, I had no sense of their hospitality.

Out of the 6 hotels I stayed at during this vacation, this is the most expensive and ironically, gave me the worst experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
I am so sorry we did not put our best foot forward during your six night stay with us. I am thankful you have shared this experience as it is feedback that allows us to improve. If I may be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel. While we did not offer an exceptional impression during this visit, we would be honored to have a second chance at a first impression when you are next in Chicago.
Warm Regards,
Cedar Rapids
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I specifically selected this property as it was the only hotel on Michigan Avenue that I could find that was 2 bedroom/2 bathroom that could accommodate 6 or more. The stay was perfect for our girls getaway and the location was wonderful. What made the stay even more special was the staff who were so very professional and playful. We were greeted with smiles every time we came and went and were given wonderful tips for restaurant's, activities and so on. In particular, I was very impressed with Brandon Peyton. I spoke with him regarding the original reservation and was greeted by him when we checked in. His personality was simply infectious! We will be back for sure!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
We are thrilled to see we were able to make your Girl’s Weekend special. Thank you for taking the time to share how pleased you were with Brandon and the staff. They strive to create special experiences. We would be honored to welcome you back when you are next in Chicago.

Warm Regards,
Natalie Furka-Padgett

Been to Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue? Share your experiences!