“Beautiful large room, horrible night manager” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue

You added Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue to your Saves list
Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   320 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60601 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #33 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Southern CA
“Beautiful large room, horrible night manager”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The suite I stayed in was huge. It looked and felt like an apartment. It was on a corner and had fabulous views out of each window.
The reason I gave the hotel 3 stars is because of the night manager's rudeness. I believe that a hotel experience encompasses every aspect of your stay and not just the accommodations.
He went out of his way to NOT be helpful, even though what I was inquiring about was in the hotel "book" which stated "ask any hotel desk clerk or manager who will be happy to assist you." Not only did he not assist me, he was smug, gave nothing but a "no" answer and then sat back contented that his job was done, and seemed to hope I would challenge him. Instead I just said, "that's OK I'll figure it out for myself."...
Nice hotel. Bad attitude and rudeness from night auditor = I won't stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. Words cannot express how truly embarrassed I am with the service you experienced. This level of service is not acceptable at our property. If there is any way you would be so kind as to contact me directly to discuss this further, I would sincerely appreciate it.

I hope to hear from you and do hope you enjoyed your time in Chicago.

Kind Regards,
Natalie Furka-Padgett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Every winter, we like to take the train to Chicago for a theater weekend. For our March 2013 visit, I booked the Comfort Suites online with our AAA discount. The price was about $30 per night lower and 60% roomier than a nearby hotel we stayed in a year ago. Since the weather was OK, we walked the 1.4 miles from the Amtrak depot to our hotel. The front desk staff was outstanding! The young lady asked us how high up we'd like to be - we chose the 23rd floor. She then walked us over to the elevator. About 15 minutes after we arrived in our suite, she called to ask if we needed anything. It was really nice to have a living room/kitchen area with a separate bedroom with a door. We walked to an Asian fusion restaurant for dinner (recommended in an informational folder in our room) that was outstanding. Then we walked to our event at the Harris theater. (Can you tell we are cheap - we enjoy walking whenever possible!) Our suite was very clean and comfortable. I hope to visit again and stay more than one night. The breakfast room was crowded, so we brought our oatmeal/yogurt/waffles to our suite. We are willing to pay $200 per night less for a clean hotel without views of Lake Michigan.

Room Tip: We enjoyed being on the 23rd floor for interesting architectural views of nearby buildings. I think...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! You have many choices when it comes to traveling and we value your business. I was delighted to see that you found the staff to be "outstanding". I will pass along the compliment!

I would be honored to have you with us again when you are next in Chicago. Please feel free to contact me directly for your next reservation.

Safe Travels!
Natalie Furka-Padgett
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We recently stayed at the Comfort Suites on Michigan Ave in Chicago. We had stayed here about a year prior to this stay and LOVED the updated, spacious room and the great service. This visit was a disappointment. We qualified for early check-in due to being a Rewards member, and that was much appreciated. The room itself - a King Suite - was the size expected and had the amenties expected. We were extremely disappointed, however, to find the room in less than ideal condition. There was an odd 'closet' that was rough dry-walled shut with screws. I assume there was a furnace or something in there was it was really tacky. The actual closet door was in disrepair with some wooden slats missing and it would only stay shut if you put something in front of it. The 'boys' in our group were unimpressed that the toilet seat wouldn't stay up. It may seem like a small deal but with a small child who can't hold the seat up and use the toilet at the same time, it because annoying. There had been a major water (or toilet...) leak in the bathroom and the trim on the vanity, etc. was grossly stained and was previously water logged. I don't ask much for hotels but I DO ask that they be CLEAN. I just felt gross the entire stay here. The other issue we had, in regards to service, was that when we came back from a long day out and got back to our room on the 24th floor, our key cards were no longer active. Because we had checked in early we started to worry that they had someone checked us back out and we were concerned about the whereabouts of our belongings. We trekked all the way back to the lobby with two tired children. The guy at the desk couldn't tell us why the cards (both of them, kept in seperately in my purse and my husband's pocket) no longer worked. He acted like it wasn't a big deal, didn't really even apologize. Aside from the inconvenience of it, it was stressful not knowing if our stuff would still be in the room. Thankfully it was. All in all, we do not know if we will stay here again. We had such a positive experience the first time and had even recommended this hotel to several friends. Now after this experence I certainly wouldn't recommend it, and I don't know that I would be real eager to stay again either. We go to Chicago often, but there are plenty of other hotels.

Room Tip: Our King Suite on the 24th floor had a nice, corner view with two walls of windows. Views of the Wi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences with us. It’s feedback like yours that allows us to improve. I am truly sorry your second experience was disappointing. If there is anything I can do, please do not hesitate to contact me as your business is truly valuable to me. When you are next coming to Chicago, I will work to ensure your third visit with us is flawless.

Safe Travels,
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I arrived at the hotel with a LARGE load of supplies for a family pre-game party I was hosting the next day b4 the Hockey City Classic - I was met by a guest services agent (unfortunately, I can't remember his name - good looking young man) who helped bring my things to the hotel and put them away in my suite. When I noticed my fridge wasn't working, Oscar S. came up within 5 minutes-determined it needed to be replaced and when I returned an hour later, the new fridge was in place, cold and he put my stuff in the fridge for me. Oscar was also a great help when I left taking my stuff to the car and loading my car for me.

Room Tip: I was disappointed I didn't get a balcony, but was told the corner Queen Suites are the largest...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Hello,

Thank you so very much for your feedback. I will pass along the compliments to the staff, especially Oscar, as I was delighted to see you found him to be helpful and quick to repair your refrigerator.

Safe Travels,
Natalie
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We were here 2 years ago, and raved to our friends about the huge room and amenities. How things have changed! I guess the large rooms are on the Michigan Ave side of the building - our suite was about 1/2 the size of the first one we stayed in. While I realize that not all rooms can be the same, the difference was [obviously] substantial. So...the couch needed a good cleaning, had no support and was uncomfortable, the cheap less-than-Walmart-quality "floor" lamp was wobbly needed to be tightened - and so did the luggage rack which swayed about 8 inches from side to side. Needless to say, we didn't trust sitting our luggage on it. The toilet needed to be flushed at least twice per use, and the handle was cracked. The shower weak, at best, and the water temperature fluctuated. The screen on the TV in the "main" room would intermittently lose the signal or momentarily freeze. Check in and check out was quick and efficient.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger suites on the Michigan Avenue/front side of the building!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Hello,

I am truly sorry to hear that your experience during this second visit was disappointing. As a valued guest, I know that you have many choices when it comes to traveling and I value your business. I do apologize that your experience was not to the standards of our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would love to ensure your next experience is flawless.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,
Natalie
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Not sure why this place is so highly rated on TripAdvisor.

Pros:

* Large room with spacious living room
* Kitchen with plates, glasses, and utensils
* In-room safe
* Helpful friendly staff
* Continental breakfast included with lots of variety
* Nice desk chair
* In-room washer/dryer
* Two TV's in my room

Cons:

* Old spring mattress of poor quality. I've stayed in lots of hotels worldwide. I would say 80% of the time I've had a better mattress.
* Freezer doesn't freeze. The reason I booked this hotel was because I saw pictures online of the refrigerator/freezer in the suite. I came to Chicago to have a surgery, so I brought my reusable blue ice pack. I put the ice pack in when I arrived, and the next morning I noticed it wasn't very cold. I turned the temp dial to max, and put a cup of water in the freezer. It never froze. Luckily for me, my doctor had a gentle touch, and I never needed my ice pack. But if I had needed it, I think I would have been a little upset. If the freezer doesn't freeze, then by definition, it's not a freezer. The hotel does have an ice machine on the first floor, but it's more convenient if you have an actual freezer in your room, especially when you've paid for it.
* Sloppy unsecured Internet from Ethostream. So many hotels flunk on this one. It's not just Comfort Suites. Why can't they get it right? It's the 21st century. Travelers need reliable internet and many of them, myself included, have to log in to various sites, and therefore want a secure connection. Give it to your guests.
* Two burners on stove didn't fit into their receptacles.
* I added one more day to my stay after I booked and I had to go downstairs the last morning to check-out and check back in (kept my luggage in my room), even though I was staying in the same room. I noticed they gave me 2 new keycards. Nevertheless, later that afternoon the keycards didn't work.

Overall, it was good value, and I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your recent business and review. I am pleased you enjoyed our large rooms and friendly staff. I appreciate your feedback and will work with our team to ensure these issues are corrected.
Wanatah, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Husband and I stayed here just 2 weeks after staying at another hotel 1/2 block away. This hotel blew the other away: only $86 per night for an extremely clean, super big (3x the size of a normal hotel room), corner room with fabulous views. We had a living room, dining area, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. Only "negatives": bathroom was on the small size and the comforter looked like it needed a really good cleaning. The bed and pillows were very comfy!

We will definitely stay here again when in Chicago!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for your business and review. I am so happy that we blew the other hotel away and that your enjoyed our excellent service, spacious rooms and great value. Please visit us again soon!

Been to Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue? Share your experiences!