“Cheaper than anything else, probably crappier too” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chinatown Hotel

You added Chinatown Hotel to your Saves list
Chinatown Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   214 West 22nd Place, Chicago, IL 60616 (Southwest Side)   |
Ranked #134 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Budapest, Hungary
“Cheaper than anything else, probably crappier too”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

+ Cheap
+ Nice location: very close to the city center that can be reached by the metrorail pretty easily
+ not especially dirty

- small room, and everything else is small
- no elevator
- has a generall horrible feel to it
- does smell
- general sketchyness

Room Tip: Wifi sucks everywhere
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights here for an event at McCormick Place. It was an easy walk down Cermak each day (about a mile), so the location was perfect for me. The neighborhood is safe, inviting, and friendly. A lot of excellent food choices nearby, such as a Chinese bakery with $1.00 buns that are stuffed with custard or ham and eggs!
Anyway, the Chinatown Hotel was very similar to European hotels - small rooms, no elevators, no frills, and old. I found my room to be reasonably clean and comfortable. I stayed alone, so I didn't need much. Which is good, because it's not much. However, I defy anyone to find a hotel in Chicago at this price that is not riddled with bullet holes or has used needles in the hallway! The free wifi was okay, the tv was over the air, so no premium tv channels. No free breakfast, but with the bakery close by, it was almost free. Only complaint was there were no decent coffee shops around in which to hang out and enjoy my breakfast. The staff were very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.
This hotel is not for those who are used to being pampered, or who spend a lot of time in their hotel rooms. It is very close to the red line station so you can launch your Chicago adventures easily and conveniently. I flew out of Midway airport and the train ride was $3.00. The hotel staff advised me how to navigate the train, so it was very easy.

Stayed July 2014
Marshfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My boyfriend and I recently stayed 3 nights in this hotel. We were in room 102, so we didn't have to haul our luggage very far. Before booking this hotel I was hesitant because of the not so great reviews it had, but my boyfriend kept reminding me that we wouldn't even be in the room very often since we would be exploring Chicago. Which was true, we were only there to sleep and shower. They do not have fitted sheets as many people have stated in other reviews but we planned ahead and brought our own extra blanket and didn't have a problem since the regular sheet stayed in place thru out the night. The AC worked great, I even woke up a little chilled one morning. Its one of those units where you have a remote to turn it on and off and you can set your temperature too. The only complaint I would have about the room is the shower. It wasn't really dirty, even though we planned ahead there too by bringing shower shoes lol but there wasn't a great sealing system at the bottom of the shower door and the spout points directly at the door, so this caused leaking everyday onto the bathroom floor causing us to have to use our hand towels to dry it up every morning. Overall this was a good hotel for the price we paid of $78/night and this was even on the 4th of July weekend. It did the job it was suppose to do, and was not overly dirty. The hallway carpets look worse than the carpets inside the rooms. I had no problems with a smokey smelling room, all rooms are non-smoking. Overall I would give this hotel a 4.5 out of 5 because I kind of expected the worse and it really wasn't bad at all :)

Room Tip: No elevator so try and stay on bottom floors.It is close to the streets of Chinatown so if you are n...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Queensland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We were looking for somewhere cheap to stay in Chicago and this place fitted the bill. In short we got what we paid for and I was ok with that.
The location is good in that its just a 2 minute walk to the subway to take you in to town. The rooms are tiny,gloomy and old but the toilet and shower are clean and so were the bed sheets. The carpets leading up the stairs and along the landing are old and dirty and it doesn't give a very good impression....they really should replace them or at least send a carpet cleaner over them as it really would make a difference.
If you just want a place to have a shower and lay your head that's close to public transport then this place is fine. If you want any type of luxury pay more and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Fairview, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

For my first visit to Chicago, I want to keep it cheap (as always, because I'm cheap). Anyway, it's true, sometimes you do get what you pay for. Often I've gotten more, but not this time. It was decent enough at first. Clean enough (carpets could use replacement), no fitted sheets on the bed (just flat sheets). Air conditioner worked, shower was clean and refreshing, clean towels. The basics were there. Everything was fine until our second and final night, my girlfriend and I were sitting watching tv and saw a giant cockroach on the wall. I wish I would have taken a picture, but I was too busy smashing it with my shoe. Maybe I'm sheltered, or used to living in a clean environment, but I've never actually seen a cockroach before then, and I've always associated them with lack-of-cleanliness. Oh well.

By the way, for great food in Chinatown, check out "Go 4 Food". Yeah, weird name, but it was delicious!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lima, Peru
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

This is a budget hotel, quite close to the McCormick Center (15 min walk) and just at the entrance of Chinatown, close to the train and metro stations.
There is no elevator so you have to carry your suitcases, the room is small and old but clean enough, it needs some renovations but if you only need a place to sleep it works.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Edina, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

This hotel is disgusting. This is some serious ghetto stuff. It is the worst hotel I've ever stayes at, and I've been to some gems.

Where do I start? From the outside, it looks okay--the surroundings don't make for much competition in visual appeal. Chinatown is a neat little area, but it is pretty run down. Based on walking into the lobby, I felt like I was entering a hostel. Stark. Worn. Institutional. The stairs leading to the front desk were clearly constructed by a drunk--different shapes and sizes; tile held on with duct tape. Signing-in was fast, if not archaic. I got a chuckle out of having to fill out what appeared to be a 10th generation Xerox guest agreement. This was the highlight.

The room key is a flat oval metal coin--kind of like a dogtag. I didn't try, but I'm pretty sure it is interchangable with the other rooms. The room itself was pretty small. The bed, a full size, was jammed into a bit of a nook and was very creeky. The room was adorned with a few pieces of completely trashed and broken furniture that another reviewer described as "dumpster finds." No doubt--the thrift store wouldn't even take this stuff. The carpet is disgusting--stains everywhere, unraveling, and it has the slight stickiness of that at a dive bar. I did not want to walk barefoot on it. There is the remains of a closet--no doors, a rod, and a space heater.

The bathroom appears to have been renovated in the last 5 years or so. It's hard to tell because the fixtures are so cheap; most of them are already broken. Despite the relative newness, very little has been done to keep it clean aside from the shower, sink, and toilet. The light switch was so grimy, it looked like something out of a horror movie. The corners and surfaces of other things, like the tile edge, were a Ren-and-Stimpy-scape of dust, body hair, and other less identifiable things.

I was one floor up and toward the back of the building, but still could hear pretty much everything in the place--the front door, the desk, neighbors.

The only thing saving this place from 1 star is that I got what I paid for. It was tolerable for a night by myself, at 1/3rd the price of a Best Western, and 2 blocks from the train. I definitely would not recommend this place to others and would not stay again unless I was in a major predicament.

• Stayed May 2014

Been to Chinatown Hotel? Share your experiences!