“avoid” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chinatown Hotel

You added Chinatown Hotel to your Saves list
Chinatown Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   214 West 22nd Place, Chicago, IL 60616 (Southwest Side)   |
Ranked #134 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Michigan
“avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Got this hotel through priceline, only a suite was still available, $85 seemed reasonable. I arrived past midnight on a sweltering day. Reception OK, climbed the stairs and entered "the suite". It was hotter inside than outside, I mean it was stifelingly HOT, I estimate upper 80's in the room. The bigger room of the two had no curtains and no AC, the small room connected by a hallway had a small window AC unit. It took at least an hour for the little room to become bearable, keeping the door to the rest of the suite shut. Thank God I did not bring my family so I did not have to use the bigger room. . Of course the curtains could not be closed here either, or I would have had no air. . Bed was of marginal quality, but with it pulled in front of the window unit I managed to get some sleep before the street noise woke me up the next morning. The noise could come in because the window in the small room could not be totally shut. Holes in the wall, no ceiling light in the bigger room , fixtures half ripped out of the wall, a third world and absolutely third rate experience. Would have been OK for $29.95/ night and even then it would have given me pause. So unless you are desperate, you might be better off sleeping in a park.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011 via mobile

I'm sorry but if you booked here and complained you're an idiot for booking here in the first place. This close to so much for $70 a night? What do you expect?

The lobby has a nice appearance and the staff was very friendly. Our room is small but clean and perfect for what we need-a place to sleep in Chicago. It's close to the red line where you can park your car and have quick access to downtown. We walked back from the red line at night and that is definitely a little sketchy but well lit and close.

We read the reviews so we were prepared for parking and the no elevator situation. We paid to park out front for an hour, loaded our stuff and headed out to find parking. The Walgreens near by is helpful too.

Chinatown and Chinatown Square is a lot of fun shopping during the day! Definitely recommended if you're looking for cheap, fun, and convenient!

• Stayed August 2011
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

To say we were ‘disappointed’ with this hotel would be the understatement of the century. First of all we arrived to find there was no elevator despite having 3 floors in the building, and as we had a lot of luggage this was not much appreciated. The second we walked into the room it was clear we were staying in quite a well kept establishment as they had saved us the hassle of turning doorknobs by ripping them off each door. The beds came equipped with filthy sheets, each sporting brown stains, what these came from we are not sure but one can speculate…

The state of the beds was second only to how uncomfortable they were, particularly the fold out bed we were given. This particular bed collapsed as soon as it was unfolded, and upon telling the Manager about it we were given the response: “Yeah, that one’s broken.” Is it? Is it really? My God thank you for enlightening me.

After one night the inevitable happened… Cockroaches.

This of course didn’t fill us with confidence about the rest of our stay so we decided to capture a roach and show it to the hotel staff to see if they would do anything. Rest assured they were quite helpful, they looked at the Cockroach with a very ‘I’ve obviously seen numerous cockroaches in this hotel before’ look and said “Oh that’s scary.” Needless to say, we will not be going back, and we feel sorry for anyone else that has to endure this hell hole. There are phenomenally better hotels for around the same price even closer to downtown; we strongly suggest you choose one of those.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

Unless you are looking to experience what it would probably be like to stay in a hotel in Beijing or Tokyo, somewhat Americanized, there truly is nothing positive to say about this hotel. The staff was short-tempered, unwilling to provide any assistance. The hotel is in a very inconvenient location, with NO parking nearby. I had to park more than 2 blocks away in the middle of the night. It is authentic, I'll give it that much. Surrounded by the Chinese culture of china shops, restaurants, etc, you truly get that experience.

Pack LIGHT - after checking in, I was told, "Room 306. Go into the hall, up the stairs. Here's the key." Yes, stairs... To my misfortune, I was carrying two large suitcases because I was traveling for business. And yes, I had to carry both suitcases up 3 flights of stairs, separately, ALONE. The room is about the size of one's average bathroom. My bed was TAPED - yes, as in scotch and packing tape - together, there was a small TV, a coffee pot - no coffee, and an air conditioner unit and separate heater. I was also surprised to find they had some level of internet reception... 2 bars.

Bedding is scary - I'm hoping I didn't catch anything... and the shower is just as bad. No amenities - other than AC.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Tokyo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

I went to Chicago to attend a conference on June 18 and stayed in this hotel for about one week. Generally speaking, I like this hotel. They supply a good service and it is very near to the red line station. Moreover, since it is in the Chinatown, you can have a good chance to taste the Chinese food. Only bad thing is the room does not smell quite good. Because I couldn't open the window and in this season, the smell is no good.
Anyway, it is cheap but quite comfortable to live and if possible, I maybe live there again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

The Chinatown hotel has no bells or whistles, heck they don't even have an elevator! The staff were pleasant when I checked in and out. They lock the doors after a certain time in the evening for safety, so you have to show your room key to get in. The rooms are very basic. A bed (which feels like a queen sized cement block), a tv with a couple channels, a small nightstand, and a claustrophic bathroom. When I put the key in and opened the door, it opened about 2 feet and immediatly smacked in to the stand holding the tv. Quarters are small, to say the least.

However, for this value, you can't beat it. If you are planning on squeezing a lot into your trip and only using the hotel room to sleep and shower, then it meets your needs. I got what I paid for, nothing more. The hotel is about 2 blocks from the Cermak stop of the Red Line for the El. Certainly made traveling to the city a lot easier! Also there are lots of shops and restaurants in the area (it's in the heart of Chinatown) that are fun to check out.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

*Positives: -GREAT location and price
-Staff was great and helpful when we needed them!
*Negatives:-Surrounding area a little sketchy... The south side of Chicago(where hotel is located) is generally a sketchy area.
- Hotel rooms were gross and dirty... terrible allergies from all of the dust and the towels were not cleaned or replaced once while there for 3 nights
- Small uncomfortable beds\ What you see is NOT what you get... the photos on the internet were a little decieving.
All in all... If you are looking for a cheap place just to sleep\ shower\ get ready while not really caring too much about your room...totally books this place. Its about half the price of hotels directly in the city and the redline (main train) is LITERALLY a 2 min. walk. Walgreens is RIGHT down the street and they offer unlimited 3 day bus passes for 14.50 (otherwise its 2.50 everytime you ride). The atmosphere is dirty and china-town in general is dirty but whatever... you'll save some $$ to spend in the city.. who wants to sit in a hotel for a long time and waste the day away...noone =)

Room Tip: Get a suite! only 30$ more and 2X the size!