“Best Bloody Mary in Chicago and Just Best Everything” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Polo Cafe & Catering Bridgeport U.S.A.

Polo Cafe & Catering Bridgeport U.S.A.
3322 S Morgan St, Chicago, IL 60608 (Southwest Side)
773-927-7656
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 7,741 Restaurants in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southwest Side
Description: Located 10-15 minutes SW of Chicago's downtown, chef-owner-innkeeperDave Samber and his Staff continue to bring you "Something different... something wonderful!" through their excellence in hospitality. Whether it's Dinner on FRI or SAT, Lunch MON-FRI, or SAT's Brunch, you can count on delicious tastes and generous portions from the kitchen, and personal service from Rob and Adam in the 1914 candy store dining room. Host an event in our attached elegant Old Eagle Room (a renovated 97-year-old picture show) for up to 100 guests, or let us cater at your location; even stay for a weekend in the handsome Bridgeport B&B upstairs. Reservations are recommended; lighted parking is complimentary. Now in our 27th year, we offer our years of experience and commitment to bringing you back for more...nothing pretentious, priced right, totally Chicago!!
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Best Bloody Mary in Chicago and Just Best Everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I don't like Blood Mary's and I drank 3 of them at Saturday Bloody Mary Brunch. Everything at Polo Cafe is so fresh. Chef Dave comes out to talk to his guests, finds out how you want you food cooked and makes everything from scratch and made to order. I have never been disappointed at Polo Cafe. It is great for families or for a couple. Reasonable prices, AMAZING food and very personal service. You don't find places like Polo Cafe out there anymore. It is truly a classy place to dine.

• Visited January 2013

Chicago
“Amazing 12/31/12 Wedding & NYE Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I are so elated that we chose the Old Eagle Room at the Polo Cafe to hold our wedding ceremony and reception. From the outside, the Eagle Room doesn't look like anything special, but when you walk in you are taken back in time to an old style jazz/cabaret club. It is simply phenomenal. Dave Samber, the owner, and his staff were outstanding and did everything possible to make our night an experience that our guests and my husband and I will never forget. First, Dave and his staff did a marvelous job decorating the venue. From the candelabras to the ornaments hanging from the ceiling to the flowers on the buffet table to the cotton like drapes, the locale looked dreamy and magical and fit our theme for the evening perfectly. Second, we had a live jazz quartet playing at the wedding and it sounded great using the room's state of the art sound system. Third, the food was First Class. From prime rib off the bone to macaroni and cheese (for the kids) to Dave's cornbread with custard stuffing to the many appetizers, it was all delectable. The bartender and all of Dave's staff were friendly and had great sense of humors, which made our guests feel very welcome. We celebrated the wedding and then welcomed the New Year. My husband and I also had the pleasure of staying at one of the suites at the Bridgeport Bed and Breakfast, conveniently located on the second floor of the Polo Cafe. We used the room as a bridal suite, and I spent the afternoon there with my attendants prior to the wedding. We had tea and champagne as we dressed and got ready. After the reception, my husband and I spent the night there. I am so grateful to Dave and his staff for making our wedding so special. I would highly recommend to anyone for any special event.

• Visited December 2012
Alexandria, Minnesota, United States
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed there for a friend's 50th Wedding party, the food was so good that we ate every meal there. :)

• Visited May 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Hidden Gem in Bridgeport”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I went to the Polo Café for dinner a week after attending my Aunt’s 90th Birthday Party next storewhich was catered by them ; we liked what we saw on the menu and thought we would give it a try. I must say both of us were pleasantly surprised by how great the food was; we would give it a 10+!
The café itself is small but cozy, booths and table; and has a great ambiance. The interior is old-time cute as it was once a candy and nuts store.
We ordered glasses of wine (does not have a wine list but ask the waiter as to what they carry). We started with two appetizers:
Garlic Mozzarella Cheese Bread (tasted like pizza but so light and airy and Baked Crab Cake Nuggets (ask for the marinara and tartar sauces instead of the hot sauce; there both unbelievable)
– both dishes were out of this world and were enough for two or three people and inexpensive.
We then followed that with two entrees – The Angel Hair Carbonara (the best Carbonara I ever had and I’ve tasted many) and Lobster Filled Ravioli (wonderful).
Every item on the menu is made at the time you order it; so the wait is a little longer than usual but it is worth it! We were both floored. The food tasted fresh with just the perfect amount of spices, not loaded with salt and the taste; we’ve never tasted anything so authentic and the sauces were perfect.
We ended our dinner with coffee and one dessert; a Flourless Chocolate Espresso Truffle Torte with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side which was more than enough for two people. This dark Chocolate decadent torte was exquisite – perfectly smooth and not sweet at all – just to die for.
We spoke with Dave Samber, the Chef and owner of this Hidden Gem who we met the week before and he told us how he had been trained by a French Chef and only used the freshest ingredients. If you want superb dishes at a very reasonable price; then the Polo Café is definitely for you. It isn’t far from Downtown and don’t be fooled by the sign; it says something like Nuts and Candy Company; however, it is the Polo Café (go by the address). The sign
Is being replaced soon. The menu is varied; pasta, fish, sandwiches, and a great assortment of Steaks – Angus only, etc.

• Visited September 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Simply as good as it gets!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

What a place. I had the pleasure of visiting this wonderful cafe with my family during a short trip to Chicago in september 2012. We loved the place (and not least the chef & owner Dave Samber) so much that we had to enjoy both dinner, breakfast and lunch at this place within less than 24 hours. In particular the burgers are to die for - simply the best burgers of our lives! The meat is very delicious - great quality and grilled to perfection. Don't hesitate - just try it, you won't regret it. The food is fantastic! Can't wait to return! The sooner, the better....

• Visited September 2012