“Great Food and Good Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Great Street Restaurant

Great Street Restaurant
1 West Wacker Drive, Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)
312-795-3333
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Great Street Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,909 of 7,739 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: Wacker & State
Transit: Conveniently located on the corner of State & Wacker. Lake Street and Red Line stations located directly behind the hotels back entrance
Description: A fresh take on Loop dining, Great Street combines picturesque views, sensational local flavors and a vibrant downtown to deliver a true taste of Chicago. Regional and seasonal creations fill the menu at this modern classic restaurant, enticing guests to return time and again.
Gainesville, Florida
“Great Food and Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

It'snice to find a good restaurant in your hotel where the food is excellent and reasonably priced...and convenient after aday of meetings when you just want to "stay home".

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great food, but could have used better dish washing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We ate at Great Street twice during our stay. We had dinner on Saturday night at 5 p.m. and breakfast on Sunday morning around 9 a.m.

DINNER
We were a little worried about taking our 3- and 7-year-olds to this restaurant. The front desk assured us it was casual and fine for small children. For a Saturday night dinner, I'm still not sure about that. Luckily, as early as it was, we were just fine.

Our server brought water to us and it appeared to have small bits of paper floating in it. My glass had a very clear lipstick or chapstick imprint on the edge.

Our food was great, however. The menu has healthy options highlighted as "wellness" choices, which was very nice. My husband enjoyed his filet and I enjoyed my salmon quite a bit. Our server wasn't unfriendly, but I wouldn't have called him friendly, either. I don't know if he was maybe unhappy about having children there?

BREAKFAST
We went back for breakfast the following morning, and it was a completely different atmosphere. There were a lot of children there and it was definitely a much more casual scene. They have a tempting breakfast menu, but we went with the buffet. They have an omelet station with pancakes as well. The person running the omelet station was very nice and made pancakes with mini chocolate chips for my 3-year-old.

The buffet had a very large selection of fresh fruit, which was very nice. It had yogurt, housemade granola (with flaxseed!), breads and a toaster, potatoes with thyme, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, scrambled egg whites, French toast, and pancakes.

Our server was very friendly, although we didn't see very much of him (which is probably normal for a buffet).

If we stay in the Renaissance Hotel again, I would probably skip dinner there (it's just less stressful in a more casual place with the kids), but we would definitely have the breakfast again.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Delhi, India
“Lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

Try the All you can eat American Breakfast. Awesome food and the chef makes great omelettes. I did not have complimentary breakfast with my package this time, however it is worth spending the 20 odd dollars. The service is great, they keep refilling your coffee, and don't bother if you eat at a leisurely pace.

Visited December 2011
Hawthorn Woods, IL
“Great meal with a great view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Enjoyed the breakfast buffet at this light and airy restaturant with beautiful views of the Chicago river and the city skyline!

Visited December 2011
El Paso, Illinois
“A Nice Find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We dined at the Great Restaurant Bar and Grill before heading out to the theater midweek of Thanksgiving. We let our waiter know what our time frame was, and he made sure our food was enjoyably paced so we could enjoy our meal without worrying about making it to the theater on time.
Although the menu is not extensive, the food we had was very good. We'd eaten an appetizer in the Nuvo Bar so we went straight to the list of entrees. My husband had the Beer Braised Short Ribs. They were fork tender and came with a very nice port wine sauce, garlic mashed potatoes, and a few spears of sauteed broccoli. I had the Day Boat Scallops which were served with a fabulous saffron risotto and a small watercress salad. The portion size of both dinners was quite large- enough for much healthier appetites than ours. I believe my dinner came with six large scallops and my husband had two short ribs that would have satisfied Fred Flinstone. My saffron risotto was as good as any I've ever tasted and the scallops were perfectly cooked. We each enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner and liked the fact that our waiter could offer suggestions regarding pairings with our food. We also enjoyed being able to look out over Wacker Drive, watch the folks scurrying by and hear each other as we talked over dinner. Lovely, very, very lovely!

• Visited November 2011