“Best tex-mex on the planet!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Uncle Julio's Hacienda

Uncle Julio's Hacienda
855 W North Ave, Chicago, IL 60642-2504 (DePaul)
312-266-4222
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #754 of 8,264 restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: DePaul
Bangkok, Thailand
“Best tex-mex on the planet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I make it a point to go to Hacienda whenever I am in Chicago. It is usually the first place on my itinerary. The portions are large, the drinks are great and the chips and salsa is to die for. People looking for authentic Mexican food will be disappointed this is tex-mex (Texas/Mexican influence) not authentic Mexican. Also make sure you go a little early on the weekends because the wait times can be very long sometimes. Since leaving Chicago a few years ago this is the one restaurant I miss the most!!!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

71% Recommend
San Juan P.R.
“Mmmmmmmmmm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Swirls and Carne Asada!!! Will have yous speaking Spanish after your done. One of the best and for the money can't be beat. Salsa and chips are also awesome.

Visited August 2011
Chicago, Illinois
“Nicely grilled steak fajitas.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Our family of four ate here last Sunday following a soccer tournament. We were seated right away and the service continued to be well paced. My son and I shared the steak fajitas for two. A thick cut steak was grilled to a nice medium rare and served with the usual peppers and onions on a sizzling platter. They also added a whole grilled fresh jalapeno pepper which was a nice touch. The charro beans were excellent, as was the roasted tomato salsa. It was a very enjoyable meal.

The only downside I would say is that it was a bit pricey. This was just a Sunday lunch for us but including tax and tip was almost $100.00. Maybe I've lived in the suburbs too long but that seems like quite a bit to me.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Mexican food, shocked to see it rated as high as it is.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Uncle Julio's is good, but come on people... if you think that Uncle Julio's is a 5-star Mexican restaurant, then you have seriously never had exceptional Mexican food. It's good and I've been there several times and I was not disappointed, but it is by NO STRETCH great! If you are looking for a fun, loud atmosphere to go that is not expensive and most people will like, go to Uncle Julio's. If you are looking for a great beer selection (even a good Mexican beer selection), exceptional flavor profiles, or sophistication in food, Uncle Julio's is not it. It is a slightly upscale Mexican Cantina... NOT a 5-star restaurant.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bay City, Michigan
“Busy, but worth the wait. Free sopapillas!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

A friend recommended this fine establishment when I was visiting another friend in Chicago. Everything was fantastic, especially the chicken enchaladas! The waiter must have thought we were on a date (we were definitely having a lot of fun) and he asked if it was our first time there. We said yes and he brought us some some sopapillas. So special! Very fun night there. If Chicago wasn't so full of great restaurants I'd go back soon, but I love trying new places.

• Visited October 2011