“Steps away and a delight” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mario's Gold Coast Ristorante

Mario's Gold Coast Ristorante
21 W Goethe St, Ste 1A, Chicago, IL 60610-2251 (Near North Side)
312-944-0199
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mario's Gold Coast Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #439 of 8,381 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Dearborn
Transit: Clark and Division redline stop
Chicago, Illinois
“Steps away and a delight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We live about two blocks from this restaurant and often walk out to eat in the neighborhood but had not dropped by here because a couple people we know had told us it wasn't all that good. Recently we sent some visiting relatives here with their friends and they enjoyed it, so when we had visitors and it was a cold miserable night we decided to eat here and save steps in the cold and snow. It was an excellent choice.

The place is warm and cozy and not excessively noisy. We really hate noisy restaurants that make it hard for us to talk. The service was good and the owner dropped by midway to great the group.

I had veal piccata which is a favorite dish and it was beautifully prepared. I have had several mediocre meals at Italian restaurants in Chicago and so it was lovely to have a dish that didn't cheat with canned sauces but prepared it in the authentic manner. One other person in our group ordered the same dish and we both lapped up every bit of the sauce -- with bread or I even used the spaghetti spoon to get the last bit.

We will definitely put this restaurant on our list for those nights we want to run out and grab dinner; Tuesdays they have a two glasses of wine for the price of one deal.

Good food. Good service. Good restaurant.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Forest Park, Illinois
“Mario makes you feel like the best guest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Mario's was recently relaunched as "Mario's Table", opening up the eyes of the local younger clientele to their delicious, unpretentious Italian cooking. We went with a group on a Monday night. When we arrived around 6PM the place was empty, but by time we left every table was full. Mario served us family-style just like he would have guests in his own home. Once we were all seated he said gave us a preview of what we'd start with and said to the waiter "let's get them some wine". It was quite an experience. The lightly-breaded chicken with lemon and capers was juicy and flavorful. We also had a bow-tie pasta dish in a cream sauce with prosciutto and peas. Sounds (and looked) uneventful, but it was surprisingly delicious. Sausage and peppers taste like homemade only better. I only wish there was more of it all to be had! We ended with their house-made tiramisu...again give me more! If I lived in the area Mario's would be my go-to spot.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Freeland, Michigan
“Great choice for Dinner...worth the hunt”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Wandering through the near north side area (on foot in the cold and dark) we ran across Mario's Table and glad that we did. Jambolaya (sp?) and clam with wine sauce were both great....beer was fresh and mixed drink (custom) was perfect....even the table water was good. Staff was very friendly and everyone seemed to be happy to be there.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Great neighborhood place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Two-fer Tuesdays at Mario's brings lots of "neighborhood people" out in every kind of weather. Great food, and wine selections.

Visited December 2013
Minden, Nevada
“If you don't Look for MARIO'S TABLE you mayn never find it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Form whatever reason, TripAdvisor will not allow this to be listed as it listed on it's signage and on the website. Flexibility aside, you will find Mario's to be a wonderful big city restaurant with a neighborhood feel. I eat veal piccata everywhere I can and Mario's was the best I have ever tasted by far -- beats the hell out of Rome, Venice and Florence.
My wife and I had to make a quick trip to Chicago and we found a great hotel and stumbled on this restaurant across the street. My wife felt like saying in so I went out alone. On Friday night in a big city, you don't expect to be welcomed with open arms as a single. I had a couple of glasses of wine at the bar while waiting for an opening that came in about 45 minutes. Service was superior. I was reminded what really good service is all about. I told my server that I would like to take an order of Angel Hair Pasta with garlic and Parmesan when I left. It was right on time and my wife thought it was the best she had ever tasted.
Great ambiance, superior food and thoughtful pricing. Loved it.

• Visited October 2013