“one of the better steakhouses in the city” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 8,381 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Ontario
Description: You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located one block east of Michigan Avenue at the corner of Ontario.
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“one of the better steakhouses in the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

one of the better steakhouses in the city

• Polish first
Columbus, OH
“Incredible food and experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

Recently ate at The Capital Grille with my wife. Can't say enough about the restaurant. From the moment you walk in, you are immediately greeted and made to feel like they've been awaiting your arrival. The restaurant is clean, classically decorated and a real pleasure to eat in.

The food is fantastic, we both had Kona rubbed steaks, sides of potatoes, a salad, an appetizer and 2 glasses of wine. Total for the bill was $150 including tax which is a steal in Chicago. Our server Scott was extremely helpful and not condescending at all as you might expect in such a high class restaurant. He helped explain many of the items on the menu, took the time to understand what we were in the mood for and even brought us a complimentary dessert, for no other reason than to be nice.

Go to The Capital Grille, but go hungry, because the food is delicious and the service and atmosphere are the best!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Kona crusted sirloin and...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

Kona crusted sirloin and au gratin potatoes are awesome.

Tulsa, Okla
“poor service for a place that thinks it is a 5 star”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

While the restaurant has a nice feel, the service was poor. We had a group of 6 for dinner. Most of my group had a good time and the food was fine (not worth the price but ok).

For me, they handled my steak terribly. I ordered medium, but had a disussion with the waiter on definition. I like a pink interior but not red. I confirnmed with him twice on my perference. I actually will eat a steak anywhere from some red to medium well done.

When my steak came it was sitting in a pool of blood, so I sent it back. It took quite a while for them to return it to me. They very nicely asked me to cut it, so we could be sure that it was "perfect". I appreciated the thought. I cut a piece off the end and turn it on its side. Blood ooze up and sat in the middle of it.

Since I will eat about anything, I said ok and was going to eat it anyway. She could tell I was not pleased, so asked if she could have it cooked again. She took it away, and I watched my party finish their dinners.

Never did the waiter offer to bring me a plate, so I could have some of the side dishes we had ordered (they do family style sides which you sit in the center of the table and dip onto your plate). I took a side that the others were done with and ate out of the bowl. Then I used the plate below that bowl for a plate for some of the other sides.

I finally caught the waiter's attention and told him to forget the steak (as I did not want to start eating at the time the others were done). About a minute after I told him to cancel the steak, it arrived from another person. I told her that I did not want it since it took so long, and then she asked if I wanted it boxed up to take with me. Funny, but I said no thanks.

As to food quality, the small amount of the steak I ate, was nothing special and for $40 it should be. They did take the $40 off the bill. Our total bill was $404 before tip (we did not order any bottles of wine).

The sides were fine, but again nothing special.

If they had not botched my steak and service so bad, I would have felt that the place was fine, but overpriced with average service and taste.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“It's a chain place but they do a consistently nice job. It's probably not my favorite steak restaurant but I think it...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

It's a chain place but they do a consistently nice job. It's probably not my favorite steak restaurant but I think it is the best steak.

Been to The Capital Grille? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The Capital Grille, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.