“Little Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #76 of 8,264 restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: The best authentic Mexican restaurant in Chicago! Our food comes from all regions of Mexico. We are famous for our moles, Chile Nogada, and our daily specials. Come and find us and try our food!
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Little Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This place offers a fresh, innovative take on Mexican food. The food is basically upscale Mexican, a little higher in cost, but not a lot. It is also a chance to go to a smaller, quiet place just a block away from the crowded shopping areas in downtown Chicago. The chicken tortilla soup is on every Mexican menu in town - but not at this quality. And the burrito sampler, with emphasis on different moles, or sauces, was great for sharing.

100% Recommend
“Like going home in Mexico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Whenever my husband and I travel we often like to leave it to chance while walking around and exploring that the restaurant we eat at will find us. This was so much the case here. We just happened to turn onto Superior while walking down State Street and decided to look at the menu. We had originally intended on a Tapas restaurant on State but were open to whatever we found in the direction we were headed.

While we were looking at the menu Chef Paco came outside to greet us and explained to us with such passion what his specialty is . . . what defines him as a great Chef of Mexican cuisine . . .MOLES.

What's more, when you walk into his restaurant you feel as though you are being invited into his home. He took the time to personally explain all of his moles and describe the specials to each and every customer that came in to his "home". He was extremely generous with providing samples of his fruit infused guacamole (which is so incredible) and when we couldn't decide between the vanilla ice cream with Mexican Cajeta drizzle and the jalapeno infused chocolate ice cream, he knew how much I loved Cajeta and suggested it, but brought out a sample of the chocolate jalapeno for us to try anyway. If you are stuck with that same decision, as much as I love Cajeta, the chocolate jalapeno was the WINNER. You only get the jalapeno as an aftertaste . . . it's kind of magical actually.

I had the traditional mole poblano with chicken and my husband had the sampler special featuring six different moles. Between both myself and my husband, our absolute favorite was the cinnamon mole, which is Chef Paco's own personal recipe. Absolutely delicious. Everything was absolutely perfect, including the portion size . . . 100% satisfying without feeling too full after your meal . . . which is best because then you can actually enjoy your dessert.

We will go back to Chicago just to return to New Rebozo and try everything off the menu.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“A fiesta for your mouth!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I were walking around River North area when we spied this intriguing-looking restaurant on a charming street. You could almost miss it but it had such an inviting appearance, rather European, that I had to stop to read the outdoor menu. I love Mexican but was unfamiliar with the ingredient combinations on this menu. Initially leery because the place was empty, I soon realized the adventure in store for us when Chef Paco greeted us warmly and introduced us to the daily specials. My boyfriend, not a fan of Mexican fare, made his yummy chicken tacos disappear. I, unfortunately for my "diet," ate most of his delicious side of "rohitos" and super fresh-tasting guacamole. My shredded flank steak with sweet potatoes layered on to tasty, course corn tortillas was a burst of unique flavor and texture combinations. The chef also treated us to probably the best guacamole-based appetizer I have ever had the pleasure of scooping on to a tortilla chip---avocado puréed and mixed with fresh pieces of diced fruit--another original, unique flavor combination. The unigue dishes were truly delicious, but Chef Paco's attentive, genuine service, generosity, and especially his joy in sharing his passion of creative, contemporary Mexican cuisine will bring us back to this cozy, fun restaurant!

Stevensville, Michigan
“Thinking outside the box”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

If you are feeling adventurous with Mexican foods this restaurant is a must on your list.
Ask for Dan to be your waitstaff as his knowledge is insurmountable and will lead you on your way to taste bud nirvana. I had a shrimp dish with cactus and onions. Bursts of flavor. My husband had fish tacos and his mouth was watering as well.We will definitely return when we visit Chicago next.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Food very good but missing Paco's charm!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

A big fan of the oak park restaurant, gave the Chicago one a try. Food is very good, emphasing their Mole dishes even more than oak park! Ended a quality meal with a chocolate jalepeno ice cream...yummy with a kick..OMG!

• Visited September 2013