“Veggie friendly BBQ joint...finally!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Houston
“Veggie friendly BBQ joint...finally!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

To start, have a reservation! We arrived at 5:00pm without one and caused a bit of a stir. But in the end, we were seated at a long family style table. This is a kosher, veggie friendly, gluten free accommodating BBQ joint. We ordered creative cocktails to start our repas. My friends and I started with the veggie chili nachos to accommodate me as the veggie at the table. This was our most favorite part of the meal. We ate every inch of those nachos...so in short a must have. My friends had the spare rib sandwich and the chicken sandwich with creamy slaw, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. They enjoyed their meal and took home what they could not finish. For my veggie brethren.... I had the seitan burger with sweet potato fries and vinegar based slaw. The burger was very flavorful and the mix of loading on 3 types of BBQ sauces made it stand out even more. Definitely order! The fries were good and slaw was just ok. We ended the evening with the peach cobbler and chocolate chip cookies with a side of dairy free ice cream. The peach clobber was fresh and tasty and the side of ice cream was yummy. I cannot wait to take my boyfriend here but with reservations, of course.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

94% Recommend
“AWESOME !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Milts is one of a kind dining experience. The food is delicious, and the presentstion us fun and unique.
What makes Milts Awesome is their mission statement to pay it forward. Each month a different charity is chosen to receive the proceeds of the restaurant.
The other reason why I love Milts is because of the outstanding service.
They are attentive, personable ...simply fantastic. Especially Kim and Shannon who go above and beyond to make sure you have a great dining experience. Love this place. Love that it's Kosher.

• Visited August 2013
Modi'in
“A great restaurant that happens to be kosher”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Let's face it: Outside of Israel (and some large US cities), kosher restaurants are often bad. They have a captive market, and as a result, tend to be overpriced, with bad food and terrible service. For years, I've been hoping that someone would create a great restaurant that happens to be kosher. Such places exist in Israel and New York, but not in Chicago, despite its large Jewish community — at least, not until recently, when Milt's opened its doors.

Simply put, I can't remember the last time that I ate meat that was this delicious, and I've tried a number of things during my two visits. Whether it was a bowl of chili or a shaved steak sandwich, I found the food to be of high quality, served by an efficient and friendly staff, in an easy-to-find location. I live in Israel, and I'm used to high-quality meat restaurants, but nothing there tries to do the sort of BBQ that Milt's offers, which was fantastic.

There is room for improvement: When my friend and I split an order of sliders, I found one of them was excellent, and the other two were just OK. The chili was spicy, but didn't come with any bread to cut the spice. (Then again, I didn't ask for any.) And it would be nice to get some vegetables without having to order an $8 salad.

But really, this is just quibbling. I've walked out of Milt's twice now, full and satisfied, and delighted to know that such a place exists. The fact that all profits are donated to a neighborhood charity is icing on the cake. Milt's should open a side business, training other kosher restaurant owners what they should be doing, in terms of food, service, and ambiance.

If you keep kosher, this is the place for you to eat in Chicago. Even if you don't, I'm pretty sure that you'll enjoy Milt's. There's an awful lot to love about it.

• Visited August 2013
Pennsylvania
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

but the most important thing is that the proceeds go to charity. Reservations are a must, this place is busy.

Visited July 2013
Newton, Massachusetts
“Milts BBQ - attention all carnivores, great food for you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

A family event brought me to Milt's BBQ. Milt's is very popular and there was line to get in on a Wednesday night. Fortunately, we had reservations so we were seated fairly promptly. Our server was very attentive and even rushed to tell us that they were almost out of ribs and we should get our order in. I indulged in the fabulous Milt burger which was as delicious a burger that I can ever remember. My son tackled the ribs which he thoroughly enjoyed. Really good sauces for the meat are not to be missed. Great cocktails and beer list too.

You can feel good about eating at Milts, even if you're almost a vegetarian like me, because all profits go to charity.

Uncle Milt, please come to Boston too