“Wedding Guests Enjoyed Their Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Godfrey Hotel Chicago

You added The Godfrey Hotel Chicago to your Saves list
The Godfrey Hotel Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   127 West Huron at LaSalle, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Park and Stay Package
Ranked #32 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Wedding Guests Enjoyed Their Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We used The Godfrey for one of wedding hotel blocks. Even though there were several other very decent hotels in the area with lower price points, we chose The Godfrey hotel because of its location (close to our ceremony and reception spaces) and the fact that it was brand new, and we were extremely happy with our choice.

The wedding weekend was fantastic. I was very concerned for our older guests, as many have noted The Godfrey can get very loud at night, but our Group Manger was very accommodating, making certain the older guests' rooms were located far away from the 4th Floor IO Urban Roofscape. These guests were extremely happy with their rooms and well rested!

All of our guests who stayed at The Godfrey said they had a very good experience. The rooms are very clean, the showers are great and the beds are extremely comfortable. EVERYONE loved the beds. Seriously, they are even better than Westin's Heavenly Beds.

And the location is great--it was within walking distance of all of our wedding events, so out of town guests could get around easily, plus do some sightseeing as well.

Some other quick points: LOVED our suite. It was definitely on the small side for a suite, but it was roomy enough for us and the floor to ceiling windows gave the room TONS of natural light that was perfect for make-up and for photos getting ready in the morning. I had a small wedding party so it was easier for us, however one suite will probably be too small for bigger wedding parties so keep that in mind when booking.

My husband and I did our "first look" on the 4th floor IO Urban Roofscape the morning of the wedding and the photos are STUNNING. It is a really unique space and it made for incredible photographs. AND the staff was incredibly nice and accommodating as we took photos.

The only major issue we had was when some of our guests could not book rooms in our block online or with the phone agents. Guests were told the block was full (it was not, not even close) and no rooms were available. Once the guests contacted me to let me know, I contacted the hotel. Our group manager was out of the office but the person on hand went out of her way to make sure the matter was taken care of--even though it technically wasn't her problem. Once that was fixed, everything else worked out very well. I think this may have been attributed to the fact The Godfrey is still pretty new and working out a few issues with group reservations.

The outside of The Godfrey and the lobby can get loud and crowded with people trying to get up to the 4th floor, I think eventually The Godfrey will have to do something about that in order to appease hotel guests, but for now it's manageable if you just quickly move in and out.

Bottom line, The Godfrey is a solid choice for a wedding hotel block, the older guests will love the comfortable and quiet rooms far away from the club, and the younger guests (especially from out of town) will enjoy getting a chance to go to the club.

Room Tip: For a quiet night book a room on a high floor!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I visited the Godfrey last June and found the building, room, staff, and all accommodations to be stop notch.

When you make your reservation, ask for room 1512...the view is AMAZING. You can see the Willis Tower and the Trump Tower in the Chicago skyline. I'm a photography buff and took several pictures from my room. Every hour it was like a different day...I took some great shots.

The Godfrey is walking distance from shopping. I had to make an emergency trip to Macy's because the bar on the fourth floor didn't look like the kind of place that accepted jeans...lol.

When I checked in, there was a problem (not Godfrey's fault), and was told I'd have to pay the non-reservation price (about $100.00 more), but the manager came over and said it was okay to give me the reservation price I was originally quoted. When I got my bill, I saw that I was charged the higher price, so I call them. I spoke to the manager who gave the okay for the lower price and he pulled up my bill. It was my own fault...I forgot that I'd ordered room service and billed my room for visits to the bar on the fourth floor. When he gave me the bullet points of the charges, they were right on target for what was on my bank statement.

It's a great location too. Walking distance from plenty of food, shopping, and sight seeing. I'll recommend the Godfrey to anyone I know that's going to Chicago.

Many thanks for Victoria at the front desk and the manager who took his time to explain my bill to me.

Room Tip: ASK FOR ROOM 1512!!! It has a GORGEOUS view of the Chicago skyline. You can see both the Willis To...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Jermaine A, Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear SoulBrutha,

Thank you for staying with us and for your very positive review. We're happy to hear you had an amazing stay and enjoyed our convenient location, great views and excellent service. Also great to learn you were able to take some excellent photos - if you're on Facebook or Twitter, we would love if you'd share them.

And of course, we'll pass along your kind words and praises to our team as well.

Thank you again - hope to see you soon.
Valparaiso, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Lets start by our arrival, the valet personnel hardly spoke English, not a bad thing but their first words were to make sure I took all valuables out of my vehicle for my safety..now I know common sense would tell anyone that but when I go stay at the Four Seasons or the JW Marriott they don't have to tell me that because I know and they know they will provide a safe haven for my belongings..just kind of eery..so we proceed to the lobby where we are greeted by two less than friendly ladies at the front desk..all the while club music is banging through out the hotel. right...if I were 25 I'd think it was cool but since I'm 42 and I had my 3 kids with me I was a little taken back. So then we get to our room in the 7th floor a suite mind you...wow if that's a suite I'm confused really small...so then comes the part where I wished I'd read some reviews before I chose this hotel...the roof top bar...should have deduced when the overly kind staff member checked me in proceeded to inform me that it was open until 3 am...with a smile on her face of course...:)...the bar was open until 3 and I'm quite sure my entire family knows all its patrons a little better now.seeing that we heard just about everything they said from 10-3 ...and I;m now well versed in all of Pitbull's music...wow...I guess the hotel is and experience for younger folks but at 450 a night and 55 for valet not sure how many young folks can afford that...but they do get into the club!! In summation, if you are older than 35, married, or have children you probably will not enjoy this hotel. ...

Room Tip: highest floor you can get
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Jermaine A, Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Hoosiers94,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We take all feedback into careful consideration and we appreciate your candid remarks. In terms of the noise from the bar, we have soundproofing on the floors as to not disrupt our guests. We certainly do appreciate your feedback and will pass it along as well. Regarding the team members, we will address this with the front desk and conduct remedial training as appropriate.

I am always happy to discuss your stay in more detail with you. I can be reached directly at 312-374-1822. Thank you again, Hoosiers94.
Humble, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I stayed at The Godfrey Hotel in July of this year. The front desk staff was extremely courteous, the hotel rooms were like little suites. After a long day's work, the room felt very welcoming. Decor was great, and the room was very well put together. The restaurant in the hotel had a magnificent view, and the food was delicious. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hello Sean,

Thank you for your recent review and for staying with us. We're happy to hear you had a great time while in town from Texas and that you'd return again. We appreciate your kind words about our chic decor and that you found our rooms to be spacious.

We hope to see you again soon, Sean.
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

The majority of tips for this hotel instruct you to stay on a high floor with good reason and I'll get to that in a minute.

This hotel has everything - great location for business or pleasure. It's very easy to get to some of Chicago's popular neighborhoods or tourist traps. Great dining in any direction as well. The staff was friendly and helpful upon check in and the rooms are modern, clean, spacious. I was most pleased with the bathroom as it would be more than comfortable for two people to share.

So why only two stars? Well, the hotel turns into a nightmare as it caters to the nightclub on the fourth floor. A line down the block, drunk patrons milling about near the entrance and in the lobby. Security does its best to keep them corralled, but it can get messy at times. The club is on the fourth floor and any room within 4 floors of the club - which has a large, outdoor area - well, you are not going to get any sleep. Also, the doors to the rooms have large gaps under them and a large tiled entryway. So between the loud thumping music booming to the windows and the drunks laughing and falling on their way to their rooms, it was not a pleasant evening and I decided not to stay another night. Upon check-out, I was asked how everything was and I replied "Lousy." Her response was "Great." Obviously not paying attention to me and after I finished up checking out with no eye contact, I repeated myself - "You asked me how my stay was and I said 'lousy.' You responded with 'Great' and I thought that was kind of odd." She apologized and said she thought I said "Lovely." Yet she did not go on to ask why my stay was so bad.

So here it is. If you are into clubbing and love lots of noise, it's a great place to stay on the weekends.

If you want to get a decent night sleep during the week, I would call first and find out when the nightclub is open and if rooms are available away from the elevator and on the opposite side of the club.

Room Tip: The nightclub on the 4th floor is extremely loud and the entry doors to the rooms have large gaps un...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear TripTag_app,

Thank you for your recent review and for staying with us. We do appreciate your kind words about our "amazing" hotel and your positive notes about our convenient location. Regarding the noise/sound, we do appreciate your feedback as we value a restful night sleep. We certainly would not want anyone to have a lousy stay and importantly, I would be happy to discuss this further with you and you're welcome to call me directly at 312-374-1822.

Thank you again, TripTag_app.
markyz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Modern hotel in River North. Easy walk to river walk and miracle mile shopping. Scores of restaurants nearby. Very helpful curb service. King room spacious with a great bed, and large shower. Only negatives room doors are noisy when they close and the elevators beep loudly when it reaches a floor.

Room Tip: High floor away from elevator
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Markyz,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We're happy to hear you had a great time and you were able to take advantage of our convenient location in Chicago's River North neighborhood. We're also happy you found our rooms to be spacious with a comfortable bed and large shower.

We hope to see you again soon.

Thanks Markyz.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

The Godfrey Hotel in Chicago has to be one of the best places to stay in the whole city! Looking for a great day time place to enjoy some cocktails and over look Chicago? Well look no further than LaSalle and Huron because you won't find anything close to this! The I|O Roofscape has no only the daytime environment one can enjoy some fantastic premium cocktails but, the lounge turns up the energy at night with bottle service and an atmosphere you won't find anywhere else in the Midwest! Visiting Chicago? Stay at the Godfrey and enjoy all the pleasures of Chicago in walking distance!

Room Tip: Any room will bring you the greatest comfort and outstanding service you're looking for!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Scott G,

Thank you for your excellent review and for staying with us. We're thrilled you had a great time and found us the best in the Midwest. We certainly aim to make every guest experience pleasant and comfortable and we're happy you had a wonderful stay. We're also happy you were able to check out IO Urban Roofscape, the rooftop lounge on our fourth floor.

We hope to see you again soon, Scott. Thank you again.