“Vibrant Hyde Park eatery for couples and families...” 5 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Leona's Restaurant
1236 E 53RD St, Chicago, IL 60615-4008 (Hyde Park)
(773) 363-2600
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #2,778 of 8,489 Restaurants in Chicago
Neighborhood: Hyde Park
Neighborhood: Hyde Park
Gurnee, IL
“Vibrant Hyde Park eatery for couples and families...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The North Side iterations of this venerable Italian chain have always served me well, so I ventured in for dinner with my two near-adult daughters and 92 year old Mom. A solo visit a few months ago had resulted in a brief chat with the house manager at dinner's end (minor issues); I was pleased to see the same lady in charge, and to not experience any of the past problems.

We were seated immediately on this busy Sunday evening (early dinner hour) at the only remaining table, amid a cheerfully noisy house. From appetizers to desert, we received attention from the same server (tag-teaming is a pet peeve of mine), and all orders arrived hot and as specified. There was no hovering, up-selling, or rush to check out. Dishes were cleared promptly, water glasses refilled, extra napkins brought without request. The waitress was pleasant throughout, professional, but not overly chatty.

The manager paid a brief table visit while we were completing our transaction, asking how we liked our meals. I was able to offer a very positive report.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois
“Abundance?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I I have always liked dining at Leona's.I like their pasta,I like their service and I like the atmosphere.However, I don't like the salad. My salad looked more like lettuce with dippers! The cucumber and carrot slices were big! They appeared big enough to be used to dip the salad dressing . The olive tasted like it had been around for a time;not fresh tasting at all! Other than that criticism, the dinner was okay. Better luck next time!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Good place for Italian dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My spouse and I dined there on a business trip. The entrees' were authentic, and very large portions. The atmosphere was quiet for conversation. I would return to this restaurant. Mt

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Durban, South Africa
“Good Local Fare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Tried Leona's twice last month while visiting uChicago. The food is good with a wide selection of American fare. The restaurant is sparkling clean. Service is friendly and attentive. Will definitely use again for a quick pleasant meal.

Sarnia, Canada
“Leona's BEST food beside Giordanno's in Chicago!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I had a great meal with my kids at Leona's restaurant in Chicago over March Break. The service was wonderful from the time we stepped foot in until we had to sneak out the back door because the front door jammed shut!
The food was amazing...I had a wonderful pasta dish, & my kids each had a club sandwich...the sandwiches were huge with loads of fries on the side. My lasagna/macaroni & cheese was to die for! I know...you're thinking "you went to a restaurant & ordered mac & cheese?" Well...it was because someone on here suggested this restaurant & was very adament that anyone that goes should try the mac & cheese....IT WAS SOOOO GOOD, as was the lasagna!
SO...if you are in the neighborhood near the Blue Man Group Theater, this restaurant will not disappoint. :) Bon apetit!

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Leona's Restaurant? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Leona's Restaurant, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.