“Great breakfast!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clarke's Pancake House

Clarke's Pancake House
2441 N Lincoln Ave, Chicago, IL 60614-2414 (DePaul)
(773) 472-3505
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Late Night
Neighborhood: DePaul
“Great breakfast!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Food was wonderful! German pancakes were amazing! I'd highly recommend for breakfast! Great selection. A lot for vegetarian's too! Don't miss this one!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois
“Stay away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

My wife and I ate there on a Sunday morning. Once we ordered our breakfast, we waited over an hour and our food still had not arrived. When I went to the counter (our waitress was MIA) to cancel our order (we had not received a thing) they wanted to still charge us for our entire order.

Stay away.

• Visited June 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Mackinaw, Illinois
“Good food and good service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

My daughter and I ate supper at Clarke's on a Saturday night around 5:00 P.M. and had no trouble getting seated. By the time we were finishing up, there was a line at the door for seating.

Extensive menu, reasonable prices, great service and good food made this experience one that we'll repeat during our next visit to the Lincoln Park area.

It is a family restaurant; so if you're looking for a quiet atmosphere in which to eat, Clarke's is probably not your best choice, but if you're okay with kids, it's well worth the visit. (And probably the fact that we were there fairly early evening, made it more of a family atmosphere. It may quiet down a bit as it gets later in the evening.)

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
chicago, illinois
“deliciously dependable breakfasts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

My husband and I visit Clarke's on Lincoln Ave. at least two Saturdays a month for breakfast. it's a high ceilinged, airy place, with lots of light issuing from large picture windows. You can come as you are: jeans and sweats are in evidence, sported by the college crowd, and families bring their children without qualms. (It can get noisy!) But from their omelets and skillet combinations to their German pancakes, we have never been disappointed. I always order egg whites in place of regular eggs, and they are perfectly cooked, airy and fluffy, but not dried out. My favorite dish is their Popeye's skillet which features their great potatoes, topped with spinach, choice of cheese and eggs; I also always have them add broccoli to the mix. They offer about 10 other combinations, and are always willing to customize. My husband orders German pancakes, baked apple or blueberry pancakes, (as big as the plate, with caramelized sugar topping), and aside from sometimes being too heavy handed with the sugar topping, they are a high calorie party for the palate. All three of those dishes take about 20 minutes to prepare, however, so don't order them if you have time constraints. They also make a mean eggs benedict, as well as a spinach benedict, with the eggs poached just right, topped with a light, tasty hollandaise sauce. If you're swearing off white flour, they offer the option of whole grain waffles with yogurt and fruit topping, and they also offer oatmeal, but it's not stone cut, just the regular variety. It used to be difficult to be seated quickly, but they recently added an additional room, so it reduced the waiting time. The only drawbacks are the noise level, as I mentioned previously, and if you find yourself sitting without being attended to, just notify the managing server; we have had a few incidents of being in a "dead spot", and have witnessed a few others, esp. when they're busy. They don't mean to overlook diners, it's just an easily corrected mix up. Breakfast for the two of us, even with my additional charge of egg whites and extra veggies in skillets/omelets, is around 22.00. They also have a full lunch and dinner menu, and with the addition of the new room with a handsome bar, you can enjoy a cocktail or wine with dinner. One last bonus: they're open 24 hours, so you can drop in after the midnight show. Try it, you won't be disappointed.