“Do not tell them if you have a Groupon when you make your reservation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cite

Cite
505 North Lake Shore Dr, Navy Pier 70th Floor, Chicago, IL 60611 (Streeterville)
(312) 644-4050
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cite is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,350 of 7,737 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: French, American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Streeterville
Cross street: Navy Pier
Transit: Navy Pier Trolley, Grand Avenue Bus 65, State Street 29 Bus
Description: For over 38 years, Cite has stood 70 stories high as a Chicago institution. The ultimate dining experience features savory menu selections, impeccable service, the romantic SkyLounge, private banquet room and breathtaking views of Chicago's skyline and lakefront.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Do not tell them if you have a Groupon when you make your reservation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I made the mistake of informing the person I made the phone reservation with that I would be using the Groupon. (In my defense, I have had an experience where I did not inform them upon making a reservation and it caused a problem when the bill came around.) I also let her know that I would be celebrating my anniversary. I was so blown away by the view when we first got off the elevator on the 70th floor, but that quickly fizzled as we were taken half way around the restaurant where the view was minimal for me and nonexistent for my boyfriend. We were seated right beside the kitchen entrance and I immediately regretted telling them I had a Groupon before hand.

Things started to turn around. We were brought complimentary glasses of champagne for our anniversary. We shared the Petite Steak Diane for our appetizer and paid $17 to have two bites each. My boyfriend had the duo of lamb which was delicious. I ordered the filet mignon and asked for it to be prepared medium but the outside was very overdone. I had the lobster mac n cheese as my side, it was tasty but not very cheesy, more like garlic butter. My boyfriend had the potato au gratin which was mediocre. We opted not to have dessert. With two glasses of wine our bill before the Groupon discount was $170. I would have been far more impressed had we been given a more romantic table given that I had specified the occasion of our visit.

As other people have stated, you pay for the view. We weren't upset with our visit, it helps to be in the company of the one you love, but do not tell them that you have a Groupon before your bill comes.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sokk14,
Thank you very much for your honest review. We happily welcome Groupons so we are sad to hear that you had a negative experience with it. We very much appreciate your business.

Chicago
“Mmm Warm Champagne and Thrice the Price!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Nobody likes getting gouged on a holiday, or any other day, but for triple the price, it better be perfect. We had an earlier reservation so we didn't expect to be told they had run out of something on the prix fixe menu, but sure enough, they were out of the Moet. The waiter graciously offered to upgrade us to the Perriet for the same price. Fine we said. It arrives warm. Wow. Was this their first Valentine's day? So we waited about 20 minutes for the champagne to chill. The service was attentive, but not what you would expect from a restaurant that charges 5 star prices on non-holidays. The food was adequate, but again, not 5 star. Throw in the automatic 20% gratuity (thanks for making that decision FOR me), $30 for parking, and I'm out $500 for a $200 meal. The view is spectacular, but for the $300 I wasted I'd recommend a trip to Miami instead.

Redwalls,
We apologize for your negative experience at our restaurant. We would love to invite you back to CIte and allow us to right our wrongs with the wine and food. Thank you very much for your honest comment.
Vermont, USA
“Good food high above Lake Shore Drive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

High prices high above Lake Shore Drive. Excellent Steak Tartare starter and duo of lamb main (the the lamb jus is intense!) Sides are huge, so order accordingly. You might find it difficult to carry on a conversation....the views of the Lake, the harbor, the skyline, and the park are intensely lovely. This historic skyscraper was built long ago after the area's shipping industry declined. Now, it's a nice walk along the river from the hotels east of Michigan Avenue (and just a few steps from Navy Pier. From the city center, take the free shuttle along Illinois avenue.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
vttico,
Thank you for your comment! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us.
Chicago - USA
“A Thanksgiving To Remember....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We had high expectations for Cite...considering all the chatter in the various media reviews. Our expectations were met and exceeded. After arriving on the 70th floor of this lake front venue, it takes you a few minutes to absorb the view of the city and lake from any angle, or any table. We had a group of 17, so the wait staff was more than accommodating, always prompt and close at hand, but not hovering.

The wine selection is as fine as I've ever experienced. A true pleasure. Those enjoying mixed drinks had a great bartender who encouraged them to experiment with little known concoctions.

The meals were superb...to address each offering with an adequate, detailed critique would be virtually impossible. Rest-assured that everything was served as expected, but at a level rarely enjoyed.

Please take a break from the ordinary. Dress up and treat yourself and your significant other(s) to a evening they will remember forever.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Amazing view, good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I visited Cité as a birthday present. Dinner was great! - The view is amazing (all lake shore drive in Chicago) and the food was very good (we had both a prime rib eye and a filet mignon). The meat was slightly overcooked for our taste (we ordered medium well and came out well done) but the quality of the meat was very good (although nothing extraordinary). Just to echo the majority of the comments, I do believe that the dinner is slightly pricey (~$45-60 per meat dish) for the quality (again, good quality, not extraordinary). I will probably be taking tourist or go on more dates there. I will probably not go alone or in a family/business setting as the main attraction is the view.

• Visited November 2013