“Really enjoyed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Colonial

Le Colonial
937 N Rush St, Chicago, IL 60611-1422 (Gold Coast)
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Colonial is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 8,337 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: French, Vietnamese
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gold Coast
Cross street: Oak
Transit: Chicago El & Bus Route 22,36,151,156
Description: LE COLONIAL IS CELEBRATING 15 YEARS IN CHICAGO’S GOLD COAST AREA ON RUSH STREET. THIS NOTED UP-SCALE FRENCH-VIETNAMESE RESTAURANT TRANSPORTS GUESTS TO ANOTHER TIME AND PLACE, VIVIDLY RECAPTURING THE BEAUTY, ROMANCE AND SPIRIT OF 1920’S FRENCH COLONIAL SOUTHEAST ASIA. THE SECOND-FLOOR MAIN BAR, LOUNGE, AND TERRACE ARE ADORNED WITH PLUSH COUCHES, WOVEN RATTAN CHAIRS, AND POTTED PALMS. BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOS OF TURN OF THE CENTURY LIFE IN SAIGON SET THE STAGE FOR YOUR NEXT EVENT."LE COLONIAL IS AN ESCAPIST'S PARADISE, A CLEVERLY CRAFTED RE-CREATION OF THE CIVILIZED YET EXOTIC WORLD OF FRENCH INDOCHINA. HERE IN ITS TONY OAK STREET ENVIRONS, LE COLONIAL HAS ONE OF THE LOVELIEST DINING ROOMS IN THE CITY -- AND THE SECOND FLOOR LOUNGE IS A SULTRY, SEDUCTIVE COCKTAIL DESTINATION.”
FL
“Really enjoyed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We went here on a rainy evening in June and could only get a table upstairs in the bar area. There are dining tables there as well. The atmosphere is cozy and the food is fresh and delicious. Service was friendly and efficient. We will return next time in Chicago which will be soon.

• Korean first
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Nice building, go else where for food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Wife and I on business for dinner. Convenient on Rush St, It was a steak house previously they set up shop without much change. Place is nice inside call it Chinese with linens. Service is fast and not particularly friendly. This is just Chinese with lemon grass. Food is way over priced and not that good, there's a lot of Chinese, food in Chicago that better and less expensive. I was not impressed. Not a memorable meal nothing outstanding.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cary, NC
“Superb Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Six college classmates met for dinner at Le Colonial, and we all raved afterwards about our meal. We shared two dumpling type appetizers. My entree was a jumbo shrimp and asparagus dish, perfectly cooked; several women ordered chicken curry. Jasmine rice accompanied the entrees. We found our dishes to be very well seasoned and a melange of interesting spices and flavors. We shared a lemon curd tart on shortbread crust for dessert which was delicious. Our waitress was particularly helpful in guiding us through the extensive menu, making suggestions and getting the level of hotness tailored to our individual tastes. What a delightful evening! Le Colonial was definitely the most interesting meal we enjoyed during our four days in Chicago, and I plan to return next time I visit Chicago. While the website for the restaurant portrays the restaurant as an oasis of peace and quiet, it was crowded and quite noisy, so conversation was not always easy.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia
“Not just average Vietnamese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I'm not an expert. However, I've been to Vietnam and I eat at Vietnamese restaurants not infrequently. This is NOT just expensive Vietnamese food. It also is not really French fusion. It has the French techniques that are integrally a part of high end VN food. I actually would say it has a strong Chinese influence.
Anyway, go. I'd go again just for the bouillabaisse. I also liked the chicken w/ eggplant dish. As for dessert, I agree w/ reviews that the tapioca is good, but you don't go to VN for dessert. They are just ok.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
atlanta
“Very good restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I liked the decor and the atmosphere and the food. I had the vegetarian dish of tofu in coconut curry sauce and it was quite good. My husband had pho noodles and beef and it was also really good. Our table was not very private. It was in the upstairs area which is a nice area but we were close to a loud group of 4, including one very loud woman and were unable to have a conversation of our own. The evil eye did not work on her at all and we were relieved when they left. There are too many tables too close but the food was good.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere