“Very, very French” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bistrot Zinc

Bistrot Zinc
1131 N State St, Chicago, IL 60610-6574 (Gold Coast)
(312) 337-1131
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistrot Zinc is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #326 of 7,739 Restaurants in Chicago
Transit: Red line to Clark and Division; #36 Broadway Bus
Toronto, Canada
“Very, very French”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We love French restaurants and this was a perfect bistro experience. We started with the fried smelt, which were very tasty. I had the cassoulet - perfect for a cold March evening, and my wife had the three cheese quiche, which was superb. The contents were almost like a soufflee in texture and she said it was the best soufflee she had ever tasted.

Service was excellent and the atmosphere perfect if you are a lover of French gastronomy.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“welcoming to solo visitors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Pate app was delicious. Mussels were clean, rich, outstanding. Other meals were good. Good smells and very nice service.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Top croque Monsieur”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This sweet little spot was recommended to us by a local. Enjoyed the atmosphere and service. The turkey sandwich with gig jam was average but he croque Monsieur was to die for.

“Seductive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A gaggle of us ventured to North State Street to see why our niece was sooo enamored with Bistro Zinc. The warm and inviting dining area was the first thing that drew me in......it was a cold and snowy evening . We were seated immediately by our friendly hostess. Service was great, very knowledgeable and efficient. My first mistake was popping a piece of the baguette slathered in the deliciously creamy butter into my mouth and I was hooked. I have a tendency not to pay much attention to what other people are ordering, however I did notice that everyone made a happy plate of their entrees. I will tell you about what my husband and I hmmmmm our way through our meal. We both had the Moules Mariniers (west coast mussels in white wine sauce) which is an appetizer, however large enough for one person. It was the best tasting mussels I have ever encountered! The mussels were not those outrageous big orange things; they were the petite creamy ones. The broth was perfect for dunking that wonderful hunk of bread into. I recommend that you take the hike to Bistro Zinc. You won't be disappointed. Can't wait to return in the summer for lunch and people watch!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“A Pleasant Spot for a Light Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

A friend and I dined here fairly early during mid-week. The place has a comfortable bistro feel to it, with about what you would expect in terms of decor -- yellow walls, crisp white linens, and a zinc-covered bar. Our waiter was very pleasant and we opted for a couple of specials and a couple regular menu items. I had the Salade Lyonaisse, which was an excellent rendition with just the right amount of smokey bacon and the poached egg providing "nature's dressing" for the crisp frisee. The chicken and mushroom crepe was rich and delicious. The cherry custard turnover was a nice change of pace for desert.

This is not the kind of place that will "wow" you, but it doesn't have to. It does a fine job serving up well prepared French classics. How can you go wrong with that?

• 4 of 5 stars Food