“Amazing Restaurant - Great Birthday Present” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
MK The Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 7,737 Restaurants in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Doing business, Families with children
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Chestnut
Transit: Chicago (Brown Line)
Madison, Wisconsin
“Amazing Restaurant - Great Birthday Present”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I celebrated my birthday at MK, and we had a phenomenal experience and would highly recommend it to other food lovers and those looking for a great experience!

Ambiance – I heard that they recently redid the restaurant, and I thought it was beautiful. I love the brick walls, the perfect lighting, crisp, white table cloths, and the balcony overlooking the rest of the dining room. I felt it that the décor was very appropriate for an upscale restaurant serving locally grown ingredients; it reminded me a lot of a restaurant in Madison (where we live) called L’Etoile, that we absolutely love. My husband and I sat at a table right on the balcony that overlooked the downstairs, and we felt we had the best “seat in the house.” The noise level was moderate for a Saturday night, and it was clear from the buzz in the room that other diners were having a wonderful time as well. Some restaurants have that “upscale, pretentious” feeling, and we did not feel that vibe at all at mk; quite the contrary. We had a great server and a great time, and we could tell that others felt the same way.

Dress code – I saw more casual diners to more dressed up diners. Personally, I don’t think you’d want to walk in there in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, but I did see someone in nice jeans and a shirt, so I do not think there’s a specific dress code.

Food – A-MAZ-ING! For my birthday, I was surprised with a personalized menu that listed the tasting options. I think the tasting menu would have been fun too (something for us to come back for), but my husband and I wanted to try the a la carte menu. Every bite we had was simply exquisite, from the starter to the crab toast appetizer, house made fettuccine, to my poached lobster, my husband’s halibut, and the s ’mores dessert. The dessert was especially nice because of the little “Happy Birthday” note written on the plate. Our server had recommended the pommes frites with truffle sauce, and they are life changing! ;) We felt that the portion sizes were just right and that the timing of the food being brought out to us was timed perfectly. We were fully satisfied with our portions. They also have a wonderful and extensive wine and cocktail list.

Service – We cannot say enough wonderful things about our server, Chris. He was very knowledgeable about the food and wine, enthusiastic, sociable (but of course, not overly sociable), and had a very relaxed, kind demeanor that was instantly relaxing. Everything was timed out perfectly. We hope, the next time we are back, that we will be lucky enough to have him as our server again!

MK is a great choice if you are looking for wonderful food, a great atmosphere with a laid back vibe, and excellent service. We hope to go back the next time we are in Chicago!

San Francisco, California
“Extraordinary Meal - Outstanding Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Celebrated my wedding anniversary with my wife at MK in Chicago. I had been to this restaurant several times prior -- all great meals -- however last night's meal was one of the top meals of my life.

I started with deep fried olives in a tomato sauce and Henriot Champagne. Followed by an amuse bouche of Hamachi with pickled shallots and scallions. Then we split an amazing endive salad, which was perfectly balanced with blue cheese, endives, fennel, pecans, and just the perfect amount of salad dressing. (I love it when a restaurant gets it right with salad dressing). My main course was a beautiful NY Strip steak, cooked to perfection with roasted peppers and a reduction sauce. My wife had a delicious piece of salmon that was baked with mustard and horseradish. We also had an order of pomme frites with truffle cream – mind blowingly good. With the salad I had an Au Bon Climat Pinot Gris and then we had a bottle of 2010 Frank Family Cabernet Sauvignon. The wine was perfected paired with the food.
To augment an amazing meal, the service was top notch. From the time we entered the door to the last bite of food, we felt completely taken care of. Every aspect of the meal was carefully choreographed.

The last thing I’ll say is that the new remodel of the restaurant is beautiful. The changes are subtle but elegant from the display of glassware to the redesigned bar.
Any table is good at MK. If you want a view of the entire restaurant, ask for a table upstairs. If you want to be a bit closer to the action, the main floor is quite nice. Also, if you’re just looking for some drinks and a quick bite, then you can stop over in the cocktail lounge.

Overall, an extraordinary meal at an outstanding restaurant. HIGHLY recommended.

Middelfart, Denmark
“Fantastic meal with great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Went for a business dinner and heard good stuff about the restaurant ahead. But was still amazed with the quality and the cuisine. Had the tasting menu with wines and was blown away by the taste, the quality and the look of all the small little menus.

• Visited May 2013
San Francisco, California
“Fine Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This restaurant has all the right ingredients: superb menu wprep relatively and perfectly executed food, great atmosphere, outstanding staff, and wonderful wine list. What more could one ask for?!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Alma, Michigan
“"Phenomenal cuisine and unparalleled service!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband's and my 6th year of celebrating our summer birthdays at MK was another splendid evening! First, Megan (who has helped me personalize several special MK dinners via email) had instructed the staff to give us the gift of two glasses of Proseco and personalized menus. I hadn't even asked for anything special, and Megan's thoughtulness is emblematic of the way MK treats all of its customers. The servers (this year, it was Chris) are incredibly knowledgeable and have tried all of the dishes, so that their recommendations are always excellent. We always order the amazing truffle fries (truly the best I've had anywhere), and this time, also shared a lovely salad and the sugar-sweet roasted corn, taragon, and peppers--all for appetizers. My husband had the duck, and remembering other incredible MK dinners, I ordered the halibut. The preparation was outstanding--the fish perfectly cooked in an "ocean broth," and atop dumplings stuffed with blue crab and mascarpone that were, quite simply, sublime. For dessert, we shared both the corn pudding (moist and dotted with blueberries, accompanied by vanilla ice cream and several pieces of kettle corn) and the peach julep (slightly tart peaches and several pieces of pastry accompanied by toasted pecans and bourbon ice cream). Both were heavenly. MK has recently remodeled its bar and lounge area, and re-upholstered all seating, so the ambience was lovelier and more comfortable than ever. We are foodies who have eaten at many fine restaurants in the U.S. and other countries, and can honestly say that the combination of innovation, preparation, presentation, and outstanding service make MK our very favorite!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to MK The Restaurant? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage MK The Restaurant, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.