“Can't get any better” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Chicago, Illinois
“Can't get any better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have dined in this restaurant in multiple occasions and every time it's just insane. The service is amazing. The food obviously the best Italian in town. Definitely get reservations before you go.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Tijuana, Mexico
“Magnifico y Muy Divertido”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is an old-world Italian restaurant....hearty food served in a crowded, warm atmosphere filled with loud, boisterous, obstreperous people having a good time. If this type of environment isn't to our liking, stay away, but if you can get into it, you will eat well and plenty and be treated like family. Space is very limited and you will feel the crush of the growd...little to no bar space or other waiting area; only one tiny restroom for the entire crowd but the place is a lot of fun and the staff is friendly and try to make you feel at home. The owner is actually Mexican and there are some interesting dishes (like a chipotle chicken dish, for example) that are worth trying. Portions tend to be huge so either be prepared to share or take home left-overs. We were there on a Saturady night when it was packed to the gills. We didn't have to wait very much for a large table to open for us. When we were done, the owner very graciously asked us if we would be willing to move to a smaller table in the front room of the restaurant so he could seat another large party at our table and offered us free desserts and after-dinner drinks in compensation. I thought that was very good thinking on his part and we gladly complied. He came over to our new table shortly thereafter and shared shots of brandy with us and thanked us for helping him out of a tight spot. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening despite the over-the-top noise level (several large groups of celebratory folk completely at ease and unconcerned about others).

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Best Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

So happy we ate at this little restaurant. Authentic Italian and to die for dishes. The service was amazing. Everyone is so nice, you don't want to leave. I was upset I couldn't finish the food and couldn't take it home since we were in a hotel. We will probably stop every time we visit Chicago.

Visited December 2012
Front Royal
“Insane food!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I know it sounds crazy but I am not a huge fan of Italian food...shew this place made me a believer in authentic Italian cuisine!!!! Shew!! Hands down best Italian food I have EVER eaten!! I had the eggplant parm...AMAZING!!!! My husband had the chicken vesivio...one bite and I thought I had died and gone to Heaven!! Again, I rushed home and scoured the internet for this amazing recipe. I found it and made it right away. The atmosphere was quaint and cozy. The place was packed and to me that is always a good sign. The service was outstanding, portions were huge, as a matter of fact, there was a couple coming out as we were coming in, I asked them what their favorite dish was, they said the eggplant parm, they always get it and have so much leftover that they get a doggie bag and find a homeless person to give their leftovers to...awww how sweet!!!! Anywho, if in Chicago, you MUST MUST MUST get to this place!!! Delisioso!!!!! Happy eatin' Y'all

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Old School Italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We went in at 5:00 on a Saturday evening. The dining room was already 3/4 full and very lively. It is obvious that the restaurant has been around for awhile and could do with a bit of a make over. With a reservation at 5:15, we were seated a couple of minutes after arrival. The menu has a great selection to choose from. I would have loved to get an appetizer or pasta, but I knew going in that would mean I would have too much food to eat. Regardless, the salmon I chose was done perfectly. That was paired with a very reasonable bottle of wine. We did split some pistachio gelato afterwards, which wasn't a flavorful as I would have liked. Service was decent, but rather aloof. The quality of the food was the reason to go and the reason to return.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to La Scarola? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage La Scarola, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.