“Short end of the Wishbone” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Wishbone Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #310 of 8,390 Restaurants in Chicago
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Morgan
Transit: Clinton-Green 0.6miles
Description: Located one block from Oprah Winfrey's Harpo Studios and perfectly centered between City Hall and the United Center, Wishbone was an early participant in the emergence of the West Loop neighborhood from a commercial area to one of the city's culinary hot spots. We've been here through it all, quietly serving our own unique brand of Southern Cooking.
Chicago, Illinois
“Short end of the Wishbone”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stopped by Wishbone Sunday afternoon to celebrate with good friends who just signed a contract on a new condo to be built in the West Loop neighborhood. Waited about 20 minutes for a table, not bad for Sunday brunch in Chicago, but were not impressed with the food or the service. Some of our drinks came after entrees were served. North Carolina crab cakes were short on crab meet and long on filler but chicken andouille omelet was good. For us, Wishbone didn't live up to its reputation. We got the short end.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

West Chicago, Illinois
“Just like home cooking...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were just a few blocks from the Harpo Studios when we discovered this restaurant. I ordered split pea soup that was just like homemade! The fries were potatoes that were quartered and pan fried. Not what I was expecting but, definitely like home. The salmon cakes were just as tasty as the rest of the meal. Overall I was happy to eat a restaurant that had tasty food that was made from scratch! The staff was friendly and the prices were not frightening.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Geneva, Illinois, United States
“Love it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Now this is what comfort Chicago food should taste like. Great restaurant with good food. Local favorite and worth the trip to this place. Go here. Eat. Enjoy!

Visited February 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Uneven Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I think that Wishbone does brunch very well. It is always packed, but the food seems to come out quickly and it is always tasty. Their menu is huge, with lots of vegetarian options. It has a lively, neighborhood feel that I love and it is very affordable. My favorite thing to order is their corn cakes, with a side of cheese grits.

The one and only time I went to Wishbone for dinner I had a less than stellar experience. I had family in town for a football game and needed to find a restaurant downtown that (1) was affordable, (2) was casual (3) was appropriate for children and (4) somewhere we could be seated quickly without a reservation on a Saturday night. As my guests requested we go somewhere unique to Chicago, Wishbone immediately came to mind, based on my prior great brunch experiences. Well, I really cannot say how the food tasted, as I was recovering from a nasty stomach flu and had very little appetite, but the service was bad. The restaurant was almost empty, but it took our food forever to come out, and after it did, we did not see our waiter again until we had to flag him down to pay. It was incredibly frustrating to be sitting there, practically alone in the restaurant, with family I had talked up this restaurant to, trying to catch the waiter's eye while he chatted up the bartender. I was so disappointed.

So, would I go back to Wishbone? Yes, but for brunch only. Their dinner service needs some work.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Perfect end to a great weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

If you love shrimp and grits you gotta try this place-if this dish you have never tried then you are in for a treat. We were in Chicago for a birthday party and this is where the birthday man wanted to eat(he lives in Chicago). It was a rainy Sunday morning and this place was packed- we were seated within ten minutes (party of 10). The services and our wait staff was FANTASTIC. The meal under 25 minutes(which could have taken longer based on the crowd). We were having a great time with our Bloody Marys & Mimosas. Tender shrimp at least a dozen large and creamy grits. I shared an order of crab cakes & collard green mixed with the pepper sauce and syrup yummy. The serving s are generous, prices fair - cant wait to get back to Chicago for more.

• Visited August 2012