“Sail the Seas to Excellent Food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Greek Islands Restaurant

Greek Islands Restaurant
200 S Halsted St, Chicago, IL 60661-5489 (West Loop)
312-782-9855
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #134 of 7,739 Restaurants in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: West Loop
Highland Park, Illinois, United States
“Sail the Seas to Excellent Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

In Chicago, it's difficult to find bad Greek food in Greektown. Greek Islands further proves that mantra, but their food is quite awesome! Their saganaki and calamari are out of this world. Their gyros are a league of their own. Dining outside is a pleasure. Eat and sail your way to a great meal Greek style at the Islands.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Easton, Pennsylvania
“Great food in a lively setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Have not been back to Greek Islands in over 20 years since I lived in Chicago. Wanted to share the experience with my daughter and was not disappointed. We visited on a Friday night and the place was hopping. We did not have a reservation and only had to wait 30 minutes for a table.

We started off with scordalia ( ground garlic paste) and saganaki ( flaming cheese). We also split the Greek salad and a half order of moussaka and gyros ( you can create your own combo.

Our table was not great ( near the bathroom) but the service and overall atmosphere was better than expected . Will return next time we are in town.

Georgetown, Texas
“You Go, You Eat, You Love!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Every Year on Sunday night during The NRA show a group of us dines at the best Greek restaurant in Greek Town (and Chicago), Greek Islands. Some of us are Greeks and picky about restaurant Greek food, but we have never had better anywhere in the USA! Great servers, incredible lamb chops, grilled octopus, spanakopita , etc. Noisy? Of course. Only great Greek restaurants are noisy because there are REAL Greeks eating there! Warning: make a reservation or the wait can be long!

Visited May 2014
Chicago
“Disappointment of Greek proportion”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

This restaurant is average at it's absolute best. I ordered the catch of the day which was Mediterranean Seabass. The fish was extremely bland, under seasoned, and did not taste remotely fresh. The bus boy had to take my desert order because the waiter was nowhere to be found. I have given this place numerous chances and they consistently underwhelming or disappointment. Do not waste your time trying this place!

Union Dale, Pennsylvania, USA
“truly the best greek food I have eaten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

it was an amazing meal. everything was good. Sadly it has been over two weeks since I was there and I can't remember the names of the foods. I do remember the Lima Beans and the Okra. I hate Okra, I loved this Okra. The lima beans were to die for. Also very surprising the sausage was just awesome I really don't think of greek food and sausage but there it was. We also had a bottle (well actually two) of a very nice dry greek wine. All in All a very good experience that I highly recommend.

Visited May 2014