“GGF (Great Greek Food)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Parthenon Restaurant

Parthenon Restaurant
314 S. Halsted St., Chicago, IL 60661-5482 (West Loop)
312.726.2407
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #882 of 7,737 Restaurants in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Loop
“GGF (Great Greek Food)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

True to Greek origins and regions. Excellent service. Wide range of choices -- everything comes to the table at the appropriate temperature. Scordalia is a must try. You won't be disappointed!

Visited August 2012

• Greek first
Cedar Hill, Texas
“Opa for saganaki !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The Parthenon is one of the original Greek restaurants within Chicago's Greek Town on Halsted. There are lots of choices in Greek Town but we keep coming back to the Parthenon. If you get there and have to wait in line -they serve you free Ouzo so if it's cold and you are waiting outside for a bit, you'll get a little warmer.
Sagnaki is their flaming cheese appetizer and the waiters serve it with flourish. You may be able to see singe marks on the ceiling. Everyone says Opa when the flames erupt. The cheese is great and shareable. They claim to have invented the dish at the restaurant. I'm not sure it's true but it's a great legend and it's great entertainment.
We usually get a bottle of the house Roditis - a rose type wine which goes quite well with Greek food.
We like the gyros, the Greek salad, the Souvlaki (meat and vegetables on skewers), Pastitsio (sort of a Greek lasagna) and Dolmathes (grape leaves stuffed with rice and ground meat).
The waiters are very attentive and they are always watching out for you to see if you need more wine - more bread (delicious and I think it is home made).
My daughter was determined not to like Greek food and wound up eating 3 or 4 rolls of bread before the Saganaki came and then she discovered Greek food was pretty tasty.
We've probably been to this restaurant a dozen times over the years and we're never disappointed. Enjoy.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Burr Ridge
“I wasn't a fan of Greek Food.... BUT......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

A friend was taking me any my wife out to a sporting event in Chicago, and he suggested to meet at Parthenon. I am NOT a fan of Greek Food, and looking over the menu online, I wasn't happy. But hey, my friend was paying and I didn't want to be rude.

We get there and have some appetizers. I figured I'd be polite and try it. OMG!!!! IT WAS DELICIOUS! We had Gyros and they were incredible! I don't like lamb, but these were fantastic!!! We had cheese, Saganaki... amazing! Even the lamb meatballs (I forget the actual name) covered in onions was fantastic!

The staff was extremely friendly! The man at the bar, Manoli, was extremely helpful, friendly and added to the fun I had! The valet parking is complimentary, which is not too common in that area. I had a great experience overall! I'm going back, that's for sure. Already told Manoli to look for me in about a week and a half!

If you enjoy Greek Food, you'll love this place. EVEN if you don't, GO TRY IT AT THIS RESTAURANT! Not sure if I am sold on all Greek Food... but I am COMPLETELY sold on Parthenon!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Okay food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We used to love Parthenon but I think the quality has gone down over the years. There are better restaurants in Greektown.

Visited July 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“THE place for Greek food in Chicago!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I've been dining at the Parthenon since the late 60's and in my opinion, it's still consistently the best Greek food in Chicago. In earlier times, my meal would consist of fresh bread, saganaki, (flaming cheese) which, by the way was invented here, a large greek salad with anchioves, and then a heaping plate of gyros. All this was washed down with a bottle of rodytis wine.
These days, I'm more "mature" and have lightened my meal to the greek salad with red wine vinegar, followed by chicken shish-ka-bob and a side of green beans.
Ahhhhh getting old is fun... I now order the carafe of rodytis.
We are always welcomed by Yana, the owner's daughter, with a genuine hug, and big smile.
Their food is always fresh, delicious, hot, and consistent. I go here at least 3 times a month and it never lets me down.
For a great Greek meal, in a warm, happy place, it's The Parthenon!!!!

• Visited December 2012