“Very nice Puerto Rican food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Borinquen Restaurant

Borinquen Restaurant
1720 N California Ave., Chicago, IL 60647-5104 (Northwest Side)
(773) 227-6038
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
México
“Very nice Puerto Rican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is a great place if you like (or want to experience) Puerto Rican food. Try the Jibarito (in essence, a sandwich made with flattened, fried green bananas). You may want to drink a very cold Good O Kola Champain.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Savannah
“Borinquen..NO.NO.NO.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

BORINQUEN.... NO NO NO

My nane is Rick and I was born and raised in the nieghborhood, I've been living away for about 15 years. I was raised on Puerto Rican Food and let me tell you about this particular place. My advise is to stay away from here. I took three trips to Chicago in the last month and ate there twice and both times were something to remember. The first time I was alone and all I had was a Jibarito sandwich which was super greasy and the platano was way undercooked. My wife who was at home heard I was there and when I returned to Chicago the next week with her I took her and my daughter there at her request. This is where it gets good. First the place is filthy, also whoever did the decorating and construction should do something else for a living, and I mean all of it. Lets start with while waiting for our order my wife had taken my daughter to the bathroom and besides the horrible bathrooms the first one she went into she found RED OCTOBER and its companion almost overflowed onto the floor (which about an hour was still there I checked when we left (had to see for myself)). We had placed three orders and not one of them was correct. First my daughters order was Bistec in tomato sauce and we recieved Bistec with onions (no sauce), her beans must have came straight from the can because they had no flavor. Let me tell you we now live in Tennessee and we don't have the necassary ingredients nearby and my wifes beans beats thiers by 5 stars. My wife ordered Mofongo with shrimp, for the people who don't know what this is this is, its a dish that you are supposed to dig into and eat, not have to send to a sorting facillity before you take a bite. The reason why I say this is if you like to eat shrimp Tails with every bite, this order is for you. Now for my order, the Tuesday special is Bistec in a Tomato sauce and I asked for the tuesday special (which was ok), The price was supposed to be $6 and some change for the special. While ordering I specificly asked for the tuesday special and when ordering the waitress went through the motions of asking what you would like with that plate and thats where the fun began. After recieving our orders which had complications and tollerating everything up to this point we wanted to get out of there. During checkout The girl beind the checkout counter is completely rude and seems to be more interested in her personal life on her cell phone between texting and a phone call. I handed her a $100 bill and she gave me change which I can tell at this point was incorrect. What I find Kind of funny about how this place does business is they just tell you a price (to see how much they could squeeze you for without any complaints) and refuse to give an itemization unless you demand one. I demanded one and found a discrepency with my special. It was at Full Price. To make a long story short (since they already had my money) the refused to help us anymore and completely Ignored us. We stood there for several minutes trying to get help with this and she wouldnt agnolige us. The only reason They got one star from me in the above rating is because I couldnt write a review without at least one star. My advise is don't eat here........and thats what I'm going to tell evryone. I wonder how much $ or what strings they had to pull to get the food network channel to promote thier resturant.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Jibarito: best sandwich!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

The first jibarito I ever ate was at Borinquen so I do not have any other to compare it, but this one was outstanding! The steak jibarito was probably the best sandwich I've ever had. The arroz con gandules was also outstanding. My partner and I ordered an extra side of it and we were glad we did. Everyone should try a steak jibarito from Borinquen at least twice!

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wisconsin
“Great Puerto Rican Food Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I had eaten at Borinquen three years ago, but I really wanted to take my Australian friends when we were visiting Chicago this month. I warned them that it was nothing fancy, but it is all part of the experience. You walk in and head straight for the back room where a waitress will take your order. I've read other reviews online that mentioned the waitresses had a hard time understanding their orders. We tried the apple dumpling, and the look of it wasn't that appealing but it tasted pretty good. It wasn't super apple-flavored, just to warn you. But it has a slight apple taste. We all ordered jibaritos, and they were able to make one dairy-free for my lactose intolerant friend. And we all agreed they were awesome! I ordered the roast pork jibarito, but I've also heard good things about the steak jibarito. If you're lucky the local Puerto Rican restaurant ambiance will include some tunes as well.

Visited August 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Descent jibaros...your better off going to the pond across the way”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

Descent jibaros...your better off going to the pond across the way