“We keep coming back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lula Cafe

Lula Cafe
2537 N Kedzie Blvd, Chicago, IL 60647-2655 (Northwest Side)
773-489-9554
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lula Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #178 of 8,392 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Café
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Cross street: Logan Blvd.
Transit: Logan Square- Blue Line
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“We keep coming back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Every trip I take to Chicago, I carve out time to go to Lula. Not only is it very accessible by subway, but Logan Square is fun to walk around in ... and if you want to make a whole day of it you can saunter over to Bucktown and Wicker Park. Please order a Bloody Mary (with oyster) at Lula. I dream of it. My boyfriend ordered some amazing buttermilk pancakes last time we went and I am still thinking about them. There's really nothing to dislike here: super friendly staff, always excellent food, and if you happen to go during a busy time, it's well worth the wait.

Visited March 2013

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Lula Continues to Impress”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I dined at Lula once again last week while in town for business. Since my last visit, Lula added a wonderful and spacious bar - much needed as the previous bar setup was always super crowded. We had a drink in the new bar and then took our table in the "old" part of the restaurant. I'm glad it is still essentially the same because, I guess, of fond memories but also out of a desire to see a good place succeed while hanging on to some of its roots.

As always, the food was fantastic. We had the miso cured baby vegetables which were beautiful too look at and refreshingly crisp. Our entrees were the braised pork shoulder and the Michigan duck - plus a side of the lemony kale. All of our food was prepared perfectly and presented in a special, but not fussy, way.

Lula continues to be one of my favorites when I come to town and it's an inexpensive Uber ride, cab ride, or easy-ish L trip from downtown.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have had mixed experiences with the food. The food is always good, but some days the food is better than other days. This place is a great place to spend your morning brunch.

Visited November 2012
West Lafayette, Indiana
“A gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Really good breakfast places are hard to find, so when I read about Lula I was hopeful. We went late on a weekday morning during a brief stay in Chicago, and the place was initially moderately busy and then filled up with the lunch crowd. I had the smoked trout scramble, which came with potatoes and toast. Other people I was with had pancakes, the brioche french toast, and the breakfast burrito with a side of bacon. To say that everything was good is a dramatic understatement. It was exceptional. The bacon - bacon! - made us all slow down to enjoy it. Coffee was hot, strong, and refilled frequently, as was my water glass. The waitstaff was friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable. And although the dining room was full, it didn't feel crowded or uncomfortable. I only wish we had an option half this good nearer to us.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great little find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My friend and I ate here on a suggestion from one of her co-workers and it was superb. They do not have a large menu and it was definitely ecclectic and innovative. I had the Autumn salad: spaghetti squash slow poached in hazelnut oil, smoked trout roe, celery aioli, asian pear and carob which was amazing and nothing like I've had before. For my main meal I had braised Veal cheeks with prune, armagnac, red miso, amaranth and parsnip. It was very tender and a hearty plate of comfort food with a twist. And because our meal was so delightful we ended up sharing the Chestnut Cranberry tart. We were a little hesitant but our very nice server convinced us to try it as it was her favorite. She was right, the cranberries were not too tart and it was just the correct amount of sweetness and it really hit the spot.

I recommend this place to anybody looking for a great organic fare of delicious food with flavor.

Visited December 2012