“Nice place in Courtyard Marriott lobby” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Viand Bar and Kitchen

Viand Bar and Kitchen
155 E Ontario St, Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)
312-255-8505
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Viand Bar and Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #989 of 7,738 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Cross street: Ontario and Michigan
Transit: .5 Blocks away from CTA Bus Route 3, 10, 145, 146, 147, and 151. 4 Blocks West and 2 blocks North of Grand Red Line
Description: Viand Bar and kitchen is situated in the electric Streeterville neighborhood in the Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile hotel. Indulge in a time-honored American meal infused with the multi-cultural heritage of Chicago. Traditional comfort food is freshly prepared with wholesome fresh ingredients and paired with signature cocktails and a variety of beers on tap and micro-brews from the Great Lakes region. Capable of hosting intimate dinners for two or banquets for 60, this restaurant is both versatile and accommodating for any occasion. Combining a one-of-a-kind menu with friendly service and a welcoming decor, Viand is a hidden gem among Magnificent Mile restaurants.
“Nice place in Courtyard Marriott lobby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Nice place to grab a quick bite. The service is super, the beet salad is gorgeous. Sandwiches were average, no great shakes, but it was convenient and fast and perfect because we had gotten in later in the evening and wanted to just eat and go to sleep.

Visited May 2014
Viand C, Manager at Viand Bar and Kitchen, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Tibby,

Thank you for the time you took to tell us about your experiences. The beet salad is one of our staff's favorites at Viand. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

“Good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Freindly, quick service, good food, reasonable price (discount from referral from hotel across the street)

Visited May 2014
Viand C, Manager at Viand Bar and Kitchen, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Julie,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review for Viand Bar & Kitchen. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Los Angeles
“They Don't Seem To Get It, And Neither Will You.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Talk about a mixed review. I'm staying at the Marriott Courtyard where this restaurant is located. I had dinner there my first night. The food was original, well prepared and all around fantastic. The strange part was the butter. You would think it was gold. They gave me one pad of butter for the bread. I asked for more butter and she brought me one more pad. I just don't get it. $60 meal and all they could afford was two pads of butter. So the next morning I order room service. When I called to let them know they forgot to include tea bags the recording said they were busy and to call the front desk. I did, and they sent somebody up right away. When he arrived I gave him the entire tray back. The eggs, the sausage, the toast, and the potatoes were all cold. Not warm. Cold. Seriously, not even remotely luke warm. I wasn't about to pay $22 for cold eggs, sausage, toast and potatoes. Here's the best part. They still charged me for the breakfast! And in case you're wondering, they gave me one rock hard pad of butter for four pieces of cold toast. Yum!

Dear Garcarcha,

Thank you for taking time to write a review on Viand Bar & Kitchen. I am glad you enjoyed the food upon your dining experience in the evening and wanted to apologize for the non satisfactory room service order in the morning. I have shared the comments with our staff and culinary team in an effort to improve your future experiences!

Boulder, CO
“Even simple was done bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Although we did have a good time at the bar late one night, the restaurant itself left a lot to be desired. FIrst of all, the Sunday lunch menu was printed on something a little larger than a 3x5 notecard and did not have much variety. The french fries lacked seasoning and the chips and salsa were served in a very small portion and the salsa was more like chunky ketchup. It definitely needed actual salsa ingredients added in and not just tomatoes. The food was also very pricey.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Viand C, Manager at Viand Bar and Kitchen, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Lisa C,

Thank you for your review and feedback on your experience at Viand. I do apologize that the experience was not satisfactory and I am sharing your comments with our Chef and culinary team. Through the month of April we are going through a menu change and one of our targets to improve is the Sunday midday experience. Please come back and try us again next time you are in Chicago as I am confident we will have these fixed by your next visit.

Many thanks,

Dominic A.
Food and Beverage Manager
“Amazing experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

My fiancé and I came down to Chicago for a romantic weekend and were looking for good food that wasn't over priced and didn't require a dress code as we didn't feel like dressing up. We searched forever looking for a place and stumbled on this place. We were both hesitant after reading some of the negative reviews but loved that the management addressed all the issues. We were able to get a fast reservation on open table. When we arrived we were sat immediately and were watered and greeted by the server within 5 minutes. Our server was Dimitar and he was amazing! Extremely attentive and very friendly! My fiancé and I both are in the industry him being a chef and myself being a server. I was personally impressed by how attentive he was while also having many other tables including a large party that sat after us. We started with mussels that sat in a delicious butter and red wine sauce and were garnished with tomatoes, for our entree I had a filet that was perfectly cooked and was melt in your mouth tender. My fiancé had the hunters duo that consisted of duck leg confit and a lamb chop, which was also perfectly cooked which was served with a apricot and duck reduction sauce that complimented it well and wasn't too sweet. During our meal the manager stopped by to see how everything was, we explained our hesitation with coming due to the reviews but explained how impressed we were with everything. She was extremely nice and chatted with us for awhile making our experience even greater. After our meal we debated getting desert and were shocked when we received not 1 but 2 free deserts!! They were outstanding, one was an amazing apple dapple type cake and the next was a creme brûlée. I'm extremely picky about creme brûlée since I'm spoiled by my own restaurant's amazing version. I was shocked it was fabulous! Not too thick, nice and creamy! Definitely check this place out! Great food and a great staff! We will definitely be back next trip to Chicago!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Viand C, Manager at Viand Bar and Kitchen, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Hi Ambliss,

I'm extremely pleased you had an amazing experience in our restaruant this past weekend. I will pass your comments on to both Dimitar and Allison, we are lucky to have both of them. We hope that you are able to come and visit us soon, we should be going through a menu change in the near future in which we are highly anticipating!

See you next time you are downtown!

Dominic A.