“Crazy atmosphere, heavenly feta” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lou Mitchell's Restaurant

Lou Mitchell's Restaurant
565 W Jackson Blvd, Chicago, IL 60661-5701 (West Loop)
(312) 939-3111
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: West Loop
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Crazy atmosphere, heavenly feta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We headed to Lou Mitchell's for an early lunch after getting in on a 10:30 train. We were greeted warmly by a very busy older hostess with a basket of donut holes. She seated us nearly right away at a long community table. We were sandwiched between two other couples, which made talking to each other hard, but allowed us to people watch. I got the Greek Cheese Special (the feta just melted in my mouth) omelet, and my husband had the deluxe reuben. My omelet was very big and served with fried potatoes in a small skillet. Both platters were very generously portioned, and we were stuffed. Apparently 10:30 is perfect for dining there, because when we left the line at the entrance was several people deep on the sidewalk. We didn't indulge, but heard the coffee there is the best in the city. We would definitely return!

Chicago, IL
“Good Breakfast but Service kills it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Came here for breakfast this past Friday morning. There were people waiting ahead of us but told us they were not seated yet because they were waiting for the rest of their party. (Fair enough). The hostess never said a word to us, hastily passed out a few donuts to those closest to her, then grabbed some menus and seated us as we were the only ones not waiting for someone.
The waitress was much friendlier thankfully and gave us a few minutes before taking our order. She also brought out the complimentary orange slice and prunes. The 3 kids had pancakes, a BLT, and eggs and bacon. They were happy with it, they especially liked the fresh orange juice.
My friend and I had a veggie omelet and corned beef hash/eggs. Almost all meals came with fried potatoes. While the eggs were pretty fluffy and good, the potatoes were a little heavy and on the greasy side. The corned beef hash is as another reviewer said, straight out of the can. The coffee was pretty good but was not worth the $2.39 price, especially when the cups are small and refills are far and few between. When we went to pay at the register, as most people were doing, we also had to wait. The wait wouldn't have been a big deal if someone had actually acknowledged us standing there. We don't need people to rush over to serve us, especially when they were so busy, but they could have looked our way and given us the "Just a moment, please" look. But nope. Nothing. When the woman finally came to the register she seemed harassed that we were standing there, snatched my card and slapped it back on the counter. Barely glanced at us as she said "Have a good one". I don't expect her to stop and have a conversation with us when they were that busy, but there was really no reason for them to be so brusque. I was hoping to make this a breakfast stop for when we do Route 66, but that won't be happening. If this was my first impression of "mom and pop" locations before heading out for the day, I'd dread the rest of the ride. I'd advise most people to stop and get your pictures, then go somewhere else for breakfast, or keep in mind this is not how most people on the route treat their customers. I really wanted to like this place, because it's one of the first stops and " a Chicago Institution since 1923", but I won't be back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Best coffee!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had the best coffee there along with some amazing banana pancakes, donut holes and an omelet! Makes skipping lunch worth it :)

Parsippany, New Jersey
“Slice of history and one of Chicago's best eateries”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I was looking for a good place to have lunch with my wife while walking down Willis towers. And this place popped up in one the restaurant finder (mobile app) with lots of good reviews. We went in to try and the menu card itself spoke about a lot of history about this place. Ofcourse the meal was too good too.
Try any of the country fresh egg's menu and all are awesome. I had a Greek Sausage special and it was out of the world.
It is one of those places where if you had those traditional american breakfast you can go all day long... and yes, the do serve wonderful coffee... I am not sure if its the world's best, as they claim it to be ... but surely very very good.
And not for nothing is the road in front of the restaurant honorarily named after Lou Mitchell.

Wisconsin
“Great place for brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Had brunch at Lou Mitchells before a matinee theater performance. There was a line out the door but it moved very quickly. The host passed a basket of fresh doughnut holes out to waiting customers. We met some wonderful people waiting in line. The coffee was good. Our group had egg dishes, banana pancakes and Belgium waffles. Everything was great! Even though the restaurant was bustling we were never rushed. Service was great!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere