“Fine ur-Deep Dish” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pizzeria Due

Pizzeria Due
619 N Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60611-2713 (Near North Side)
312-943-2400
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Fine ur-Deep Dish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

This is the second pizza restaurant started by the man who invented Pizzeria Uno (the chain) and deep dish pizza. It's in an old Victorian building that looks like a well-worn city restaurant--pizza was very good--I had vegetarian, salad fine, service good. If you area deep dish fan, this is perhaps where you should stop. But like all successful foods, this kind of pizza has zillions of variants nationwide. If this is what it tasted like in 1943, when, according to the restaurant's website, deep dish was invented, it is not what contemporary palates are used to--especially if those palates are from out of town. Best to enjoy it as it is, rather than expect something more familiar. I can say I wish my individual pizza had been a bit bigger--I should have ordered next size up--was quite good.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Lancaster Ohio
“Very Busy... Worth the Wait.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I have only been going there for deep dish pizza since 1964. My mouth waters just thinking about the sausage and tomato and cheese. Wow. I keep coming back each visit.

Visited December 2013
bridgwater, Somerset
“Best Pizza Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Both the Uno and Due restaurants were very busy so we gave our name, pre ordered pizza and went for a wander whilst we were waiting the 30/40 minutes or so before a table would be ready. We didn't get a table inside (it did seem quite small and crowded for the sort time we were in there confirming our name/order) our table was outside to the left as you look at the front of the building. As it was a warm evening wasn't too much of an issue.

We only ordered a medium margarita between to 2 of us and it was extremely tasty and certainly more than enough for 2 (in fact we took about a 1/3 of it away with us for later!). It was more expensive than other Pizza joints but the taste/history made it worth it as a treat.

Our server was a bit slow for the drinks/bill, but Pizza did arrive quite swiftly - not sure if they kept forgetting we were around the corner or if each server just had too many tables to cover each, she also seemed a little grumpy compared to those we have had in other places.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great deep dish pizza!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We waited a long time but it was worth it, I really liked the pizza because it tasted completely different than what I had before!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Durtiest restaurant ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Here follows the comment I left on the restaurant website. Awful experience!

I am really sorry to have to write a comment about my visit in your restaurant today but this experience was just awful and I wish I would never had entered your place.
The server first told us we would have to wait 45 min before our pizza would be ready so we decided to order appetizzers to wait but it appeared that several tables arrived after us but got served before us! It's probably marketing! This way the server gets a bigger tip... I don't know but I don't think this is correct.
That said, it's not what bothers me. This restaurant was really, REALLY durty!!! Floors and restrooms may be understandable for some people (but we should not forget that it's a restaurant) but when the server arrived with our pizza and started serving it the second plate was durty : tomato sauce all over it and wet napkin in it!!! It did not even bothered him, he did not apologized or changed plates. Were the other plates (the ones we ate in) clean? I don't know. It.s really hard to enjoy a meal when you are not even sure that the dishes are clean, so let me wonder about how it looks like in the kitchen!!!
When it was time to pay even the card holder was disguting, greasy and durty... Your place was a nightmare and for sure the most disguting restaurant I have ever entered. I will NOT recommend it at all!

• Visited December 2013