“Good, but a little price. Other options more suitable.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ruth's Chris Steak House

Ruth's Chris Steak House
431 N Dearborn St, Chicago, IL 60654-4601 (Near North Side)
312-321-2725
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 8,392 Restaurants in Chicago
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Hubbard
Transit: The restaurant can be reached from the Blue Line & Red Line. On the Red Line get off at Grand and proceed west to Dearborn St/head South on Dearborn & the restaurant will be two blocks up on your left. On the Blue Line get off at Clark & Lake and proceed east to Dearborn St/head North on Dearborn/the restaurant will be three blocks up on your left
Dubuque, Iowa
“Good, but a little price. Other options more suitable.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Chicago restaurants tend to be a little pricey anyway, so to spend over 100.00 at at reputable steak house is not unheard of or unexpected.

I ordered a 12 oz ribeye, my wife ordered crab cakes. We ordered shoestrings to share. The ribeye had good flavor, but surprisingly was a touch overdone. I ordered my steak medum-rare, to the rare side. It came out full medium. Since we had already been there awhile, and we only had one day in Chicago, I decided to smile and deal with it. You can't "uncook" the steak, so we would have had to wait until they recooked the steak from scratch.

Wife said the crabcakes were good. I tried them and they tasted too much like celery for my liking... but I think that is more personal preference than anything.

The shoestring potatoes were plentiful... but cold and a touch greasy.

Drinks were pricey, as could be expected... but 7 bucks for a Stella is pushing it a bit. I expected to pay 5... but seven is fleecing.

Service was good.. attentive. Our server was nice, friendly, and courteous. The server who was working her section with her was VERY VERY LOUD. By the end of dinner, I could have given his routine for him. Very distracting... the wife and I had a good chuckle, making fun of him (to ourselves, of course).

Would we go back? Perhaps. Shaw's Crab House is better.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Grosse Pointe, Michigan
“Best fillet I ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We went here for restaurant week and the fillet was the best I've ever had. It was so flavorful and tender beyond belief. The chef's choice for dessert that night was a dense chocolate mound of heaven. Was it a cake? A mousse? I'm not sure, but I do know it was one of the best desserts that I've ever had.
The only disappointment was the limited choice in sides, only mashed potatoes, creamed spinach or mushrooms. Those may be typical for steak houses, but restaurant week should give the chef a chance to showcase something more exciting.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, IL
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Hubby and I went to Ruth's Chris for New Year's Eve 2013, the service was impeccable and the food was absolutely amazing. My husband ordered the twin lobster tails & 12oz Ribeye and I ordered the 16oz Ribeye., The steaks were so tender they could have been cut with a butter knife, the sides were big enough to be shared by two and let me just say that you have to order the brussel sprouts they are to die for!

We live 40 miles outside the city of Chicago and we're already trying to make excuses to get back to the city so that we can go to Ruth's Chris again.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Great meal, best filet mignon I have ever eaten. Excellent atmosphere, service and good wine. Will return!

Visited October 2013
Urbana, Illinois
“Superb and Class Act”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I haven't been in about 20 years, but it was like meeting a great friend after a long hiatus. Fantastic steaks, sides and service. The preparation was first rate. The flavors phenomenal. If you have never been, it is well worth the price.

• Visited January 2014